UConn vs. #19 BC (Friday 11/8/19 @ Kelley Rink @ 7p & Saturday 11/9/19 @ XL Center @ 3:30p on NESN) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn vs. #19 BC (Friday 11/8/19 @ Kelley Rink @ 7p & Saturday 11/9/19 @ XL Center @ 3:30p on NESN)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Got to be able to cycle the puck in the corners and keep possession. Need player with grit. Kevin Dineen, Pat Verbeek type players. Perimeter, I want to avoid contact at all cost, players don’t win.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Got to be able to cycle the puck in the corners and keep possession. Need player with grit. Kevin Dineen, Pat Verbeek type players. Perimeter, I want to avoid contact at all cost, players don’t win.
lol they win in the nhl all the time

Honestly they need to neutral zone trap teams like BC. I hate it but it's their only hope.

Reaction Score
Just got home from this poor excuse for a game. Of course we left right when it hit 5-1 to beat traffic. Best part of the day was no traffic getting out of the parking lot. My question is why....just why? We are really bad right now.
Young team going through growing o
lol they win in the nhl all the time

Honestly they need to neutral zone trap teams like BC. I hate it but it's their only hope.
What teams in the NHL win all the time without bangers? The Lightening, no, the Maple Leafs, no, The Blues, the Bruins win because they win down low below the goal line. In the playoffs, the perimeter players like Austin Matthews disappear when it’s time to win and the going gets tough.

Reaction Score
I just prefer players who grow up playing the North American style of hockey on the smaller surface.

Reaction Score
BC got to EVERY loose puck and Vomacka gave up a couple of softies.

That was about as embarassing as any game I've been too - and i've had season tix since they went HE.

BC - who was just blanked by Maine a couple of weekends ago - looked like the Soviets before Lake Placid happened.

BC took down 3 UConn players within 60 seconds in the 3rd period - no calls. Where's the outrage from the bench? I would be pulling a Mike Keenan throwing sticks on the ice or whatever. Show some kind of rage.

If the AD is doing his job he's taking notes on assistants in the HE and elsewhere in hockey hotbeds - guys who'd like to bank 350-400K to get things moving in case this team goes down the crapper the rest of the way.

Reaction Score

Great, evans was one of the few that actually put in what appeared to be actual “effort” out there today. That probably explains the broken finger

From the band, to the players, everything was just slow with no passion or strive or even attempt to care.

The past 5 seasons, the team would actually wake up and compete comfortably with ranked teams
Tonight ? Absolute garbage

It feels like the fans care more about the game than the kids
I used to crap on pratt as a c aptain , but at least it appears he kept his teams motivated

Freeman? Come on man

zls44

Reaction Score
BC got to EVERY loose puck and Vomacka gave up a couple of softies.

That was about as embarassing as any game I've been too - and i've had season tix since they went HE.

BC - who was just blanked by Maine a couple of weekends ago - looked like the Soviets before Lake Placid happened.

BC took down 3 UConn players within 60 seconds in the 3rd period - no calls. Where's the outrage from the bench? I would be pulling a Mike Keenan throwing sticks on the ice or whatever. Show some kind of rage.

If the AD is doing his job he's taking notes on assistants in the HE and elsewhere in hockey hotbeds - guys who'd like to bank 350-400K to get things moving in case this team goes down the crapper the rest of the way.

There was a frightening amount of rolling over and asking BC to rub their bellies today. Really disturbing. They just sat there and took it.

Reaction Score
He recruits well. He just coaches players into prima donna mentalities instead of grinders.

If he recruits well why did BC look superior in speed talent toughness conditioning and strength? Why couldn't we even complete a pass or get a shot? Outshot 46-17 tonight and outscored 11-1 in 2 games. I am seriously wondering where this "He recruits well" came from. A couple of rankings? Evaluation and what you do when they get here is what I go by when it comes to recruiting, not rankings. Because we didn't belong on the ice with BC tonight. Your not recruiting well with stats like that.

Reaction Score
Just got home from this poor excuse for a game. Of course we left right when it hit 5-1 to beat traffic. Best part of the day was no traffic getting out of the parking lot. My question is why....just why? We are really bad right now.
I followed Your same decision, but left with about 4 1/2 minutes.Totally outmatched player by player. Speed, passing, stamina. Whenever We were on a power play, it felt like they were on the power play. I haven't seen any rise in level of play in three years.

Reaction Score
Great, evans was one of the few that actually put in what appeared to be actual “effort” out there today. That probably explains the broken finger

From the band, to the players, everything was just slow with no passion or strive or even attempt to care.

The past 5 seasons, the team would actually wake up and compete comfortably with ranked teams
Tonight ? Absolute garbage

It feels like the fans care more about the game than the kids
I used to crap on pratt as a c aptain , but at least it appears he kept his teams motivated

Freeman? Come on man

It's interesting that in the early years of Hockey East play when UConn had teams that you would expect to be short of talent in comparison to the rest of Hockey East, it would seem that UConn would spring upsets of ranked teams on something of a regular basis. That sort of thing gave the fans some hope for the future of the team. Those upsets (and the hope of the UConn fans) have dwindled quite a bit the last couple of years.

Reaction Score
If he recruits well why did BC look superior in speed talent toughness conditioning and strength? Why couldn't we even complete a pass or get a shot? Outshot 46-17 tonight and outscored 11-1 in 2 games. I am seriously wondering where this "He recruits well" came from. A couple of rankings? Evaluation and what you do when they get here is what I go by when it comes to recruiting, not rankings. Because we didn't belong on the ice with BC tonight. Your not recruiting well with stats like that.
Aren't there like 5 or 6 guys on this roster who have been drafted by NHL teams?

There was also the Hockey News article that placed 6 UConn players on the top 100 list of college hockey players to watch out for.

The issue to me isn't whether he recruits well, but rather what he gets out of players when they get on campus.

Last edited:

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
There was a frightening amount of rolling over and asking BC to rub their bellies today. Really disturbing. They just sat there and took it.
Yep....couldn’t agree more.

Reaction Score
I think I can run through the neutral zone faster than this team moves through the neutral zone.

zls44

Reaction Score
Aren't there like 5 or 6 guys on this roster who have been drafted by NHL teams?

There was also the Hockey News article that placed 6 UConn players on the top 100 list of college hockey players to watch out for.

The issue to me isn't whether he recruits well, but rather what he gets out of players when they get on campus.

Six Hockey East classes, he's brought in a grand total of ***three*** kids from Connecticut.

Three.

Three!

Cooper11

Cooper 11
Reaction Score
Was at the game today....one point in third period during tv timeout Cav was screaming at the players...literally got no reaction out of them...next shift same old same old.....he has lost this team and it is not even Thanksgiving.

You can feel it in the arena. It was a good crowd aching for the team to give them any thing to get behind. Kills me when they say get loud on the jumbotron...How about you post "Play Hard" ....dont worry about the fans..we will be there.

Out talented by a better team...no issue with that...out worked....out fought....out prepared...Got issues with that...players seem lost...Rees literally had no idea what to do....yeah he is young...coach him up....basic fundamentals like wich man to go in the D zone is coaching...what are you doing in practice..we seem to have no philosopy ..no approach in any aspect of the game...the big in game adjustment we make is putting all the eastern European players on one line...seriously?

And as far as Cavanaugh the master recruiter.... I am starting not to buy into that...a lot of the high ranking recruiting class grades he recieved were due to the fact several recruits had Junior league career years after they commited raising the grade of the incoming recruiting class....he did not land them as a "A" prospect and he seems not to be able to coach them into that performance level again.

Reaction Score
What are two words that totally disarm every Cav argument about facilities, recruiting, etc?

Arizona State.

I'll give you another one - "AIC"! That guy has done great job with a lot less to work with and a lot less pay.

Cavanaugh has lost the team (if he ever had it). We have more than enough evidence that he is just not a suitable "#1". He may be a great recruiter, but it ends there. I had a long chat with a player's father between the 1st and 2nd periods and he says the team is rudderless.

Time for an immediate change. Benedict should get his thumb out of his derriere and take shot with Pereira on an interim basis. Let's try to get through this year with a modicum of dignity. Sadly, it's early November and I'm already looking for people to dump my tickets on.

Reaction Score
team is as lost as I can remember. Like the football team it’s not just one area but quite frankly a mess. Cav has had enough time and classes to put his print on program and it seems to be going backwards not forwards. I am not buying facilities as an excuse. They might help put you over the top but this team is not even competing.

zls44

Reaction Score
Time for an immediate change. Benedict should get his thumb out of his derriere and take shot with Pereira on an interim basis. Let's try to get through this year with a modicum of dignity. Sadly, it's early November and I'm already looking for people to dump my tickets on.

Agreed on AIC but there’s a better shot I’m coaching this team the rest of the season than there is of an in-season change.

Reaction Score
Was also at game and basically every home game since Cav took over. I have also traveled to many away games and each of our HE playoff series on the road. I say this to frame the fact that I am a die hard fan. This was the first game I left before it ended (left at 8 minute mark of 3rd period). And I sat through that ND debacle a few years ago. I am not a recruiting expert and do not follow college hockey closely, but it seems the experts have projected an uptick in the last several years and we have more drafted players on the roster than ever. So it seems the talent must be better. That said:

1. Whoever is in charge of our defensive zone/breakout philosophy needs to be changed immediately. We are awful in our own zone.
2. Same on the power play. Need a change here. It is coaching, it cant be this bad.
3. In the early years of hockey east we were always scrappy with clearly less talent. This team is soft.
4. When you lose as many last second games (or get tied up late), that is also coaching.
5. I have met Cav and he is a great guy, but I think the time has come to change. This is not a couple of years, its been long enough. Connecticut could be a legitimate power in hockey. Fans itching to support it, but games like yesterday just make it more likely someone will not come back.

Reaction Score
I want skill guys over grinders any day. You wanna watch bad fighting go watch bellator.
Skill players who play tough?

Calm down, Macho Man.

Reaction Score
Six Hockey East classes, he's brought in a grand total of ***three*** kids from Connecticut.

Three.

Three!
Yeah ‘cause lots of kids grew up dreaming of playing at UConn. I actually get what Cav is doing. He will struggle getting Northeast kids. They all want to go to BC or BU or to a lesser extent the other top programs. Same problem Pecknold had really. He decided to go to Canada and bring in a bunch of kids who were about to age out of Juniors but were a good hockey players and b) physically stronger than many of the guys they’d be competing against. That’s why the used to joke that QU didn’t need scholarships since all their guys were collecting social security. Cav has taken a slightly different route and tried to get top international players. I’m not convinced it is a great way to go. A few other HEA programs have tried it, Merrimack did in a big way with their last coach but none have really been all that successful. Not that you can’t have a few key guys sprinkled in but I’m not sure it works to have that as your base.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom