UConn-Villanova thread re: Fouls | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn-Villanova thread re: Fouls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn was called for 16 fouls, Villanova was called for 23. UConn had 23 free throw attempts, Villanova had 12.

Is there any chance people could stop complaining about foul calls?

View attachment 84226
Come on Nan, when the game was on and still to be decided early 2nd half. UConn got the shaft on almost every call or no call. A lot of those 23 Villanova fouls came in the last two minutes, trying to stop the clock. I seem to recall UConn’s best shooter getting two quick fouls to start the game.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
UConn was called for 16 fouls, Villanova was called for 23. UConn had 23 free throw attempts, Villanova had 12.

Is there any chance people could stop complaining about foul calls?

View attachment 84226
Not here to complain about the refs, potential bias, or their effect on the outcome. That's been thoroughly covered.

Just want to point out the logical fallacy in equating box score foul totals with the "fairness" of the reffing... Team A could get whistled for 15 fouls, but but a careful review shows only 10 were legit... Team B got whistled for 15 fouls also but a careful review shows that they actually committed 20. The box score shows that the reffing was fair and equal but was it?.

Therein lies the subjective element that keeps team forums and sports talk radio humming....

Reaction Score
Gee..I don't know. How about Nika gettting a solid elbow to the eye and no foul called and AE getting a hand jab under the chin, but thats not a foul and a whack on the face of Caroline..Nope no foul there, but a villanova player pile drives Nika and it knocks siegrist down and of course that was a foul on Nika. I have been pretty fair to the refs, but this was a blatant missmatch in fouls. No two ways about it.
I truly believe the officiating in the Big East is not very good this year! Not just against UConn but every team is dealing with it. When some of these calls are made, like Nika being plowed over into MS and it's obvious what happened, it hurts the game

Reaction Score
Similar to the NFL. In the last 2 minutes of a game, coaches could request the review of a call.
If they are wrong, they lose a timeout (which are usually valuable near the end). There were a number of bad call both ways in the Villanova game ( and all the other games).

In the last two minutes (crunch time) there were two terrible calls that hurt UCONN.
At about 1:47 Nika was pushed into Maddie by another Villanova player and called for a foul.
At about 0:48 A held ball was called when it was just a foul by Villanova. Villanova was never close to a joint possesion.

This rule would also benefit the refs who would no longer be "blamed" for crucial late game errors.
Yeah, let’s slow the end of the game down even more; taking 10 minutes to decide who a ball was off of or how much time should be on the clock isn’t enough?
If you can’t tell, I HATE the incorporation of replay into sports, it serves absolutely no purpose other than to break the rhythm of games because it hasn’t even begun to take bad calls out of sports.

Reaction Score
I was at the game and was surprised to see that Maggie S. is one of the best floppers I've seen; whenever she went up for a shot and was closely guarded she flopped and got the call where w/o the flop it was a probate no call.
That flop she did when NM was pushed into her deserved an academy award .. and both Villanova players were laughing about it afterwards

Reaction Score
That flop she did when NM was pushed into her deserved an academy award .. and both Villanova players were laughing about it afterwards
That call had me seriously fuming. Even if she didn't flop, how you can possibly call a foul when someone is pushed into another player?? Should have at least been a "play on, no whistle" situation.

Reaction Score
Would it be appropriate for UConn women’s video department to put a collection of these physical assaults together to share with the Big East officials’ overseers? Is there any reason they wouldn’t do that?

I’m sure they have. And many of their opponents have probably put together videos of UConn fouls.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
That tactic goes way back, UCF had nothing over OBE teams, Rutgers, Syracuse, Georgetown for example. DT was beat up for her whole UCONN career, got hit so hard in the back, I think against Rutgers, while working to get open she was hurt, Geno made a post game statement about that then 20 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom