UConn - Villanova Post Game | The Boneyard

UConn - Villanova Post Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I was really hoping that after the poor performance, especially by Nika, vs. ND, that the team would come out really strong to start the game. Instead, they squeaked out a 1 point lead at half time. Was surprised we didn't take better advantage of Olsen picking up 2 fouls in Q1. I was really impressed with Nova's defense - they seemed to be great at stopping our penetration and drives, and we had to keep kicking the ball back out to reset.

BUT Q3 was much nicer! :D Both teams battled in Q4 -and UConn pulled away. Outscored them 44-24. Better rebounding, better everything. Really solid 2nd half.

In spite of lackluster 3 point shooting (31%), we still shot 61% for the game. And some really terrific defense overall on Lucy Olson - the BE leading scorer. Held her to 15 total points.
  • Aaliyah came to play. Battled in the post. Some point black misses in the first half, but still managed a decent shooting % and was tough. 22 and 7.
  • Nika - She really is essential to be on the floor most of the time for this team. 12 points, 10 assists, 5 boards, 2 steals, 2 TO's and only 1 foul - i'll take that from her every game. I know she felt she let her team down against ND, and she did. Double double!! Geno said he was "proud of her" after the game!
  • I'm so glad Paige took so many shots (18). Her 3 point shooting was off, like for the rest of the team, but 21 points, 5 assists, 5 boards? Nice. She started kind of slow but picked it up as the game went on.
  • KK showed much more scoring tonight than she has recently. And plays tenacious defense. VERY efficient shooting 5-6.
  • Ash - didn't take many shots and "only" scored 4 points, but her effort is top notch.
  • Some solid minutes for Ice and Q. Ice with 4 assists and 3 blocks and Q with 5 points, but more importantly, shot 2-3 not jacking shots up.
Bottom line a great recovery. Adequate first half, but really nice 2nd half. Please build off this ladies!!

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I think the Huskies suffered from a little ND hangover for about two and half quarters They didn’t play with near the energy they showed in previous Big East games.

3 point shooting is not a strength at this point. Teams are making Shade dribble and she isn’t getting as free from distance like she was earlier.

She didn’t shoot that well but Lucy Olsen is a great player who has a future in the W.

Unfortunately, this team is starting to follow the same path as last year where the starters are asked to play a ton of minutes.

Villanova does not have the athletes to stay with UCONN. It ended up being a good road win, it just took a while.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on tonight’s game:
  • In the 1st half and early in the 2nd the Huskies looked tight. Just like ND, Nova ran a bunch of high screens for their guards which UConn struggled to defend. The Huskies were outrebounded, the freshmen played like freshmen, several open shots were missed. and the loss of Aubrey”s energy and ability felt like a weight that UConn was dragging around.
  • That’s when you need your seniors to step up and lead the team, and that’s exactly what Aaliyah. Paige and Nika did as UConn made their run in the 3rd qtr. UConn’s defense got much tougher, the team started to rebound much better which lead to more transition opportunities and easy baskets.
  • Nova is a well-coached team and they play hard. While a 21-point win doesn’t suggest a tough game, this game was a grind to be sure. But a win is a win, and I’ll certainly take this one.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think the Huskies suffered from a little ND hangover for about two and half quarters They didn’t play with near the energy they showed in previous Big East games.

3 point shooting is not a strength at this point. Teams are making Shade dribble and she isn’t getting as free from distance like she was earlier.

She didn’t shoot that well but Lucy Olsen is a great player who has a future in the W.

Unfortunately, this team is starting to follow the same path as last year where the starters are asked to play a ton of minutes.

Villanova does not have the athletes to stay with UCONN. It ended up being a good road win, it just took a while.
I agree, especially the young players. The freshmen might have had their defensive confidence shaken as they seemed a little out of sorts. KK was fouling and Ash was standing around on offense a bit but to their credit, they shook it off

Reaction Score
  • The defensive intensity in the second half was the difference.
  • Still somewhat concerning about how easy it was for the Nova guards to get into the lane
  • AE played great
  • It is key to keep Nika on the floor (see ND loss)
  • Paige played well
  • Teams appear to be giving Shade less space to shoot, but she never forces it
  • Solid game by KK
  • IMO Q still shoots a little too quick
  • Ice seems to be regressing -- shooting 3's, questionable passed, lackluster D

Reaction Score
Well, that first half did NOT go the way I was hoping it would. But I felt good to at least have a lead (even though it was only by 1pt) going into halftime.

The second half was much better and as I predicted, the final score far from told the whole story.

But I’ll take the win.

Reaction Score
Uconn made 60% of their shots and everyone but ICE(1-3), made at least 50% in a very good shooting performance led by Amari DeBerry at 100%. Villanova had hoped to at least contain her but Ms. DeBerry would have none of it.:)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I liked the win
But, the team is just starting to find its identity (again) after being crushed by ND.

There was certainly some carry-over...Denise told her guards to get into the lane and good things will happen; they did and it did...At half-time the game was up for grabs.

And then, good coaching and players who could execute; the defensive pressure which had been a hallmark of the team exerted itself and they stopped the Villanova offense cold..That's the identity of our team and the offense flowed from there.

Things that concern me: the bench is if anything shortened...Ice was only occasionally effective and
Q was ok but seemingly not trusted...

I'm with those that can't understand the relegation of
Ines to the last minute...Last season she gave many meaningful minutes. Hard to understand her being completely ignored. Another guard would be useful.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Another BE game where when you heard a whistle, you had to wonder who it was going to be on...for both teams. And another BE game where bodies fell to the court and then silence by the refs, way too often, again for both teams.
And in the 4th when Ice passed the ball inside to Paige but the ball ended up in a different zip code. I am still dazed by that play.
We won by 21, and we earned every point to get there.
But, I'm a happy camper tonight.

Reaction Score
Ditto on the first half stinker which I didn't expect. As others noted, I thought they would come out with both guns smokin', but they were flat, and Villanova outhustled them, especially on the boards. Somethin' ain't right with the communication on defense. Villanova took a page from the Hildago book and drove to the basket too easily in the first half with little help after they "turned the corner". Second half much better, and Shade needs to get the ball more often. Many possessions she never touched it!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on tonight’s game:
  • In the 1st half and early in the 2nd the Huskies looked tight. Just like ND, Nova ran a bunch of high screens for their guards which UConn struggled to defend. The Huskies were outrebounded, the freshmen played like freshmen, several open shots were missed. and the loss of Aubrey”s energy and ability felt like a weight that UConn was dragging around.
  • That’s when you need your seniors to step up and lead the team, and that’s exactly what Aaliyah. Paige and Nika did as UConn made their run in the 3rd qtr. UConn’s defense got much tougher, the team started to rebound much better which lead to more transition opportunities and easy baskets.
  • Nova is a well-coached team and they play hard. While a 21-point win doesn’t suggest a tough game, this game was a grind to be sure. But a win is a win, and I’ll certainly take this one.
Excellent points all!!!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
How the team would react to the ND loss would tell us alot about this team's character.

We have our answer. A tight first half. Give Nova some credit. They played good defense and their guards got in the lane. But there was a spark of UConn there. Second half saw UConn lock down Nova's guards, especially Olsen - only 3 points in the second half. UConn pushed the tempo and Nova couldn't handle it.

Nika had a huge bounce back game. 12 points with timely 3's and 10 asissts. Most import was her tenacious defense on Olsen. She frustrated Olsen all night. Her leadership is so important.

We are by no means out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak