UCONN - Villanova Post-Game thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UCONN - Villanova Post-Game thread

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
This has to be the worst recap of a game , EVER.
They pretty much hacked us on every shot and drive. Mostly no calls. On top of it you have an ex Villanova player calling the game who saw none of it. Even the tie up of AE at the end, the Villanova player came across her arm.
Viani is a Poughkeepsie girl like Siegrist. She went to high school at Our Lady of Lourdes in Poughkeepsie as did Siegrist. Viani was part of 2 state championships under Brian Georges. She played her college ball at Marist College in Poughkeepsie under Brian Georges. Seigrist won one state championship at Lourdes.

Those of us who grew up in Poughkeepsie and played high school sports keep in touch with our old home town. Hard not to root for your own.

Reaction Score
Julianne went to Marist. Her sister Jenna went to Villanova. Julianne has always been complimentary of UConn and was today, too. She said several times the game was “only 2 points”. I have no issues with her play calling
My only complaint abot the broadcast is that they both often ignored the game to tell redundant stories & to quote meaningless stats. Jason Horowitz is a talented play by play announcer, but he should leave the analysis & history lessons to his partner while focusing on the court action.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Once again, turnovers and rebounds allow the opposition a chance. UConn -13 in FG attempts.

Take points per attempt and equalize the attempts and UConn is +18 on the scoreboard.

Reaction Score
Have to admit Q1 surprised me a bit in that Aubrey and Aaliyah had 4 shots blocked between them. And offensively, it seemed a few times like Plan A, then Plan B, then Plan C wasn't working, but UCONN was so patient and found the right players to get the ball to. Was really impressed at how good Villanova was on both offense and defense. Thought UCONN was on a good roll. But turnovers continue to be a problem. Some of them are butter-finger post players. Some brain-fart decisions by Nika (great steal, then home run pass to no one down the court). And foul trouble. Nova simply outplayed us in Q2. Our offense was just messy, and part of that was great defense by Nova.

More of the same in the 2nd half. Edwards getting blocked, missed shots, great Villanova defense, and Nova took the lead. Not sure what halftime changes Geno drew up, but nothing was working. I thought the Georgetown game was one of the worst of the season, but this one was harder to watch for me. 8 points scored in Q2. 10 points in Q3. They outplayed UCONN for long stretches of the game. Sigriest was the best player on the floor, altho Griffin was terrific for UCONN.

It sort of seemed like Geno kept expecting the players to figure it out, but it never really came.
  • Aaliyah - step backwards for her today. Got her shot blocked numerous times by a smaller younger player. And missed layups and jumpers when she did get a shot off. But those 2 clutch FT's late - ice water in her veins for sure. 1-2 the next time down. Oh well. Then got those last 2!!!
  • Dorka - too many butterfinger plays. Then I look up and she's got 16 points. That 3 that she took to give UCONN the lead late - I was like "NOOOOO"... then "YESSSSSS"... And that heads up play late saving a half court violation!
  • Nika - 1 assist thru 3 quarters. She did some scoring, but that bad pass in Q1 after getting the steal, then the pass to Dorka in Q4 to take the lead - Dorka was double teamed AND the pass was a bad one. Then followed it up with a beautiful pass to a streaking Aubrey for one of our few fast break baskets.
  • Lou - couldn't get anything going. I realize the old adage "shooters gotta shoot", but 2-13? At some point you gotta realize that taking contested shots is costing your team possessions.
  • Aubrey - Q2 really was the Aubrey show. That reverse layup under the basket with a defender in her face was special. I get that this is technically her 3rd season, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a player improve so much from one season to the next. Her confidence is what allows her to use her physical gifts AND basketball skills to not only be an elite defender, but to show her impressive offensive game. But that 4th foul was so dumb. AND her FT shooting. WOW. I thought those 2 missed FT's were gonna come back to haunt us but she did everything else exceptionally. POG for sure from UCONN's perspective.
That play in the last 30 seconds was just dumb. Couldn't get the ball in, then Edwards is tied up, then Nova drains a 3. Are you serious? SMH. It was like the team never worked on an inbounds play before. Up 5 with 30 seconds left and THAT'S what you do??? The last 30 seconds really was poorly played and mismanaged.

Bottom line is maybe the lack of bench is catching up with them. Didn't seem that way in the Seton Hall or Tennessee games. Not sure the reason this game went the way it did, but kudos to Villanova for outplaying UCONN for long stretches and imposing their will. I think they are much better than the 21st team in the nation. We really won the game at the FT line. What a gutty performance by Nova. And as much as I was pointing out things we did wrong, we kept our composure and gutted out a tremendous win against a really good team. REALLY proud of these guys.
The difference in the games was Villanova has an excellent coach in Dixon who gave a coaching clinic on how to take UConn out of their offense. And they have kids smart enough and willing to sell out physically to implement the game plan she gave them. The other two teams don't have both. They have one or the other.

Reaction Score
This was a gutty performance by the UConn warriors. Every college or professional athlete will experience “that off day”. Such was the case with Lou and Edwards. Heck, I once witnessed Willie Mays striking out three times in a National televised baseball game. Some of the comments from the peanut gallery criticizing are unwarranted.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Aubrey`s fourth foul was in front of me and looked like a phantom foul in person but maybe the replay shows otherwise. I saw a couple of others like that as well (especially a foul against Lou on the baseline) but down the stretch, it seemed like the refs let the players decide the game.
Thanks as always for your in-person observations.

I was a little taken aback by the fourth foul on Aubrey. I rewound it and watched in slo-mo a couple of times and didn't see any contact.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
How about the older folks at the game? They couldn't sit down for an eternity until UCONN finally scored in the 3rd quarter. I would have been calling for oxygen!
Reminded me of some of the games from 2003 and 2004 when the team was more offensively challenged. Lots of long standing starts to the second half. But then we know how both those years ended, so maybe it's worth it.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I have not seen the game but I am looking forward to watching a replay. This is the sort of game I love. UConn played a very good team that gave them all they could take and more. But in the end, as tired and beat up as they were, they sucked it up and won the game. For me it doesn't get any better than that.

Villanova obviously had a game plan and they executed it well. Get Seigreist the ball and play UConn physical to get them in foul trouble. In the end they paid a price. Seigreist got hers but they did not get UConn in serious foul trouble and the UConn free throws won the game.

Of course if you visit orange land it was all about the home cooking refs - "home cooking" by the way is a term coind by the orange people as excuses for their losses over the years.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Any decent team can win when they're having a good day. It takes a really good team to win when they're having a bad day. Especially when their top two scorers are having off days. Against a good defensive team with a couple of scorers.

The other thing is that Villanova came in knowing they've beaten UConn last year and thinking they could do it again. Most teams would just buckle midway through that first quarter. And Siegrist stuck to her game plan even after a really poor-shooting first half.

Kudos to Villanova for giving UConn a game and to UConn for gutting it out. This may benefit both teams in March.

Reaction Score
The difference in the games was Villanova has an excellent coach in Dixon who gave a coaching clinic on how to take UConn out of their offense. And they have kids smart enough and willing to sell out physically to implement the game plan she gave them. The other two teams don't have both. They have one or the other.
Correction: Coach Dillon. Excellent job.

Reaction Score
Sorry, no. I agree Nova played good D, had a good game plan but Senechal and Edwards missed shots they have made a good percentage on all year. It happens and both were due to have off days.
As I said in another post, Uconn made the same mistakes today they have all year, they were just accentuated by the poor shooting.

Reaction Score
Few thoughts"
*Very frustrating game to watch as a UConn fan.
*Kudus to Villanova's coach and players for taking UConn out of their game. The game was splayed at Villanova's pace. They took out Lou by being very physical with her and no calls from the refs. They took out AE by quick double team and great blocks by their center. Maddi S. is a great player. UConn was very aware where she was at all times and tried to make it hard on her with double teams, but she still scored 25. I think that Maddie S. should have tried to force the action in the last 4 min. to try to put the 4th foul on AE or foul out AG but she seemed content to pass it to her teammates.
*Aubrey: the Saviour today. she had a clear athletic advantage over anyone who was guarding her and took it. Aside then the 2 missed free throws toward the end, had a fabulous game.
*Dorka: her inability to hold to the ball sometimes, is making me scream obscenities at the TV which is not good for me or my neighbors :) that said, was the 2nd best player on the team today. V did not have a good match up for her and she used that advantage well. And her 3 towards the end of the game was HUGE.
*Nika: didn't control the temp as well as in other game but saved UConn with timely scoring as different points of the game.
*AE: not one of her best games. For some reason the ball was not sticking with her as it usually does. Was amazing in the last few minutes of the game and the reason why UConn won this tight game in the end.
*Lou: her worst game in a UConn uniform. seemed somewhat frustrated with her missing shots that she usually makes. It must be difficult to be held, pushed, shoved every game if the refs don't call it. I think UConn should make a tape of what is happening every game in regard to how she is being guarded and send it to the league office as it's ridicules what opponents are allowed to get away with.
*AP: too short of game time to leave an impression.
*Geno: it's clear that they only time he is looking to get someone from the bench in the game is foul trouble and it is just not a good long-term strategy. while you have to admire the fight and grit of those 5 players, they are human and you could see they are tired.
*Azzi and/or Caroline: when will we see you playing again. This team needs at least one of them to be able to play to get where they want to get to.
*Maddie S.: deserves to be AA and the player of the year in the BE. A great player!
*All in all a gritty win that seemed lost in different points of the game. get some rest and be ready for Providence. I do expect that in that game each of the bench 3 will play significant minutes.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Who is MUL and how can I watch a replay. We missed the game - no CBSSports and too cheap to buy it.
You don't have to buy it. It is free. Sorry you missed it, but get it for the next time. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom