UConn v. Wake Forest Demon Deacons (Saturday 10/19/24 @ Noon @Rentschler Field). Game on CBSSN. Audio on Varsity Network/FoxSports 97.9 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn v. Wake Forest Demon Deacons (Saturday 10/19/24 @ Noon @Rentschler Field). Game on CBSSN. Audio on Varsity Network/FoxSports 97.9

Reaction Score
Is there really a crossover fandom between people who go to watch marathons and people who go to football games?

If so, trick the marathon fans. Have the marathon route go over a bridge and in to East Hartford and run through the stadium. Fool those marathon fans in to buying a ticket to watch the marathon and keep them in there for the football game.

My daughter and BF are doing the half-marathon (1st time). We will be cheering them on at a couple points on the route, cheering them across the finish line, then heading to the Rent. I think we should be able to make it by kickoff, but it will be tight

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My daughter and BF are doing the half-marathon (1st time). We will be cheering them on at a couple points on the route, cheering them across the finish line, then heading to the Rent. I think we should be able to make it by kickoff, but it will be tight

Let's go back in time to 2004. I'm in the Navy deployed on a ship and Mrs. Diesel is back in Virginia Beach with two kids under the age of 3. She sends me an email saying she and her friends have been doing their morning walks and stuff and she wants to do this Rock and Roll 1/2 marathon in Virginia Beach later in the year. She asked if I wanted to do it too. So, I naturally said yes, and sent her what I expected to do timewise so they could put me in the right group.

Fast forward a few months. I'm back home and we're a few weeks from the race. Mrs. Diesel informs me she has a hurt foot/ankle/knee/hip/something and she won't be doing the race. Whatever. I had few buddies I convinced to do it, so I had a few people to run with anyway.

Night before the race and we go to pick up our race packets and I notice my bib and race number were way off from everyone else. Turns out Mrs. Diesel made a typo on my race entry and basically put me in the top 100 of a race with over 20k runners in it. No problem they reassured me, you can always go backwards into slower time groups.

So, we get to race day, and Mrs. Diesel drops me off and goes to the finish line with the two youngin's in the stroller. Of course a whole bunch of people are asking me about my bib color and number and why it's so different. I think I just started making up stories. Anywho. Race starts and they are releasing runners in packs of 100 or 200 each minute to spread out the crowd. So, it's about 30-40 minutes after the gun goes off before we even start. But, we go off and since it is called the Rock and Roll 1/2 marathon, at every mile marker there is a live band playing music. To capture all this I had my fanny pack with a disposable camera and my handy dandy flip phone (this is 2004 after all). I'm about 3 to 4 miles in to the race when I get a call from Mrs. Diesel. I'm thinking she's going to let me know she sees me and get ready to wave or something like that. Nope. Not a chance. Her call was to let me know she's at the finish line and has been watching runners go by but hasn't seen me. So, I explained the whole thing of staggered starts and let her know I was still a solid 75-90 minutes from finishing. She calmly lets me know the kids are bored and she's not waiting around any longer and she was heading home.

So, there's that precedent if you need to ditch your daughter and BF to get to the Rent.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I will stante with all candor that I am a bit worried about this game.

Temple's defensive line showed far more physicality than any of our prior home opponents had this season and our offensive line did not react well to that. I don't know a lot about Wake's defense but it is not out of the realm of possibility that they are at least Temple's equal. If they have a stronger defensive front than Temple, we could have difficulty.

We will also need a lot more discipline than we've seen in the recent past from our defensive front. Our ends will need to maintain the edges while our interior must prioritize gap control over penetration (each is far easier said than done) as the slow mesh read option works by attacking a gap that was vacated by the defense.

Hopefully the additional week of preparation will help ready us for the challenge.

Reaction Score
We ran a some "hockey" line changes on the D-Line, it felt like there was a marked difference in the performance between the two units. Temple definitely focused on taking away the run, keyed the running back and UConn wasn't able to take advantage to the degree they were previous weeks. I'd assume Wake will follow a similar plan of attack and that they'll have significantly more speed than the Owls.

Reaction Score
I feel like I’m not a real UConn football fan, being less concerned about what uniforms and helmets we’re wearing and more concerned about who of Evers, Bell, Edwards, Chadwick and Yates is still out.

I’ll try to do better

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I feel like I’m not a real UConn football fan, being less concerned about what uniforms and helmets we’re wearing and more concerned about who of Evers, Bell, Edwards, Chadwick and Yates is still out.

I’ll try to do better

The wisdom of true Fandom will come to you when you complain about how horrible LAZ was handling the parking for the largest crowd of the year, how long the security lines were because of all the fans, the long beer lines, and bathroom lines.

But to achieve ultimate Gunga Galunga, you must do all this while complaining about how we need to pack the house to show the rest of the CFB world UConn matters.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score

I’ll try to do better
It may be too late for you BL. You know what they say about old dogs and new tricks.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
The wisdom of true Fandom will come to you when you complain about how horrible LAZ was handling the parking for the largest crowd of the year, how long the security lines were because of all the fans, the long beer lines, and bathroom lines.

But to achieve ultimate Gunga Galunga, you must do all this while complaining about how we need to pack the house to show the rest of the CFB world UConn matters.
Don't forget the marathon rerouting about 30% of the attendees.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom