UConn v. USF @ J.O.C. (Fri. 5/10 @ *3p*, *Sat. 5/11 > Double Header Gm 1 @ 11a/Gm 2 @ 2:45*) | Page 15 | The Boneyard

UConn v. USF @ J.O.C. (Fri. 5/10 @ *3p*, *Sat. 5/11 > Double Header Gm 1 @ 11a/Gm 2 @ 2:45*)

Reaction Score
“We’re all choking together”...

Discussion about CJ and his “lower body injury” included.

We can now add airplanes to the background noise in the interviews. It's rather funny in an odd way, and no criticism of Chris Jones and Coach Penders. As I said before, I quite appreciate them almost always having these interviews.

As always, an interesting interview with Penders and the agony he and this team is going through. Good discussion on Dandeneau and his injury, which put a definite restriction on to how he was to be used today, so it does help explain the decision making process in the late innings of the second game.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Whenever thngs go awry like they did today, I take some time prior to posting. I went to J O today but left in the 5th inning of game 1 because I was getting too frustrated. I thought back to the first time I saw the Huskies in person in 1981 and how far the program has come. (I used to follow in the 70's but on radio.)

For perspective, I started thinking about who we had last year at each position versus this year and the drop is precipitous at just about each position. Only Toppa in left has had a better year than last year. (I keep Woody at 2nd base for ease). Stefanski had a great year in CF last year, Nucerino has been ok. Isaac Feldstein had a great couple of years- Kyler is just starting to scratch the surface. C Winkel hit better last year(although I thought I saw some good signs today). Woody and Prato are similar year to year without delving into the numbers. C Mo gave us more last year than whatever has happened at 3rd this year and Zac Susi was a hit machine but P Winkel has had some great stretches.

Overall, the team is in a prolonged hitting slump and every error is compounded. The starting pitching hasn't had the length as in previous years but I think the bullpen is deeper. Penders needs to help these guys offensively by using more hit and runs(although it seems we don't get anyone on until 2 outs!!).

Bottom line, I am not sure we are offensively good enough to be an NCAA team and I am not sure we were supposed to be good enough with all the player losses from last year. Some years a team can have great hitting, some years, great d, some years great starting pitching and some years a great bullpen. The more you can put together, the better you are and deeper a run you can have. This years team just doesn't have enough components(they do have a good deep bullpen but other than Mason and Jeff, no deep run starters). The D is ok(not great) and the Offense is what holds it back. Sad because the depth of the bullpen could keep us deep in a tournament.

Reaction Score
can't disagree with much there. it is frustrating as the start of the season and bringing so many folks back especially up the middle was expecting to see some more improvements year over year. new guys especially (outside of young Wink at times) have really struggled at the dish and have never quite found their groove this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom