UConn v. Michigan State @ Fluor Field in Greenville S.C. (Fri. 3/15 @ 5p, Sat. 3/16 Dbl Header @ 1p & 5p and Sun. 3/17 @ 11a) | Page 16 | The Boneyard

UConn v. Michigan State @ Fluor Field in Greenville S.C. (Fri. 3/15 @ 5p, Sat. 3/16 Dbl Header @ 1p & 5p and Sun. 3/17 @ 11a)

Reaction Score
Ahhh... the sweet melody of a Whelen siren.

Hilarious reference to the siren that is going by the stadium during the interview. In essence, Penders says to Chris Jones that you're going to get killed online again for all the crazy background noises. Love it.

Wurster and Simeone get singled out for enabling that Wallace gets saved for tomorrow.

Reaction Score
The starting pitching is still a work in progress, but I am getting really positive about how all the young pitchers are doing when they come out of the bullpen. It's still early in the season, but this could be the deepest bullpen I've seen since I started following UConn baseball closely.

The entire roster is deeper than we are used to as there is far more depth at the positions as well

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
What Penders is doing right now, when taking into account location, facilities and history is arguably the most impressive coaching feat going in the sport at the moment

UConn is actually a storied program, believe it or not (5 CWS appearances). I agree with the sentiment and conclusion regardless :)

Last edited:

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
We may be nationally ranked with a win tomorrow. The rankings do not matter very much at this point in the season, but it would still be nice for us.

Reaction Score

Notes:

> The Huskies have walked 30 times in three games against the Spartans. UConn has also reached 11 times via hit by pitch.

> The UConn bullpen totaled 7.0 scoreless frames in the twin bill.

> Kenny Haus became just the second UConn starter to pitch 5.0 inning this season (Jeff Kersten).

> Anthony Prato has reached in all 16 games this season and has reached in 22-straight dating back to last season.

> Anthony Prato also reached base in nine of 12 plate appearances in the doubleheader (two hits, five walks and two hit by pitches).

> Randy Polonia made his first appearance since June 4, 2016 in the Gainesville Regional

Reaction Score
We may be nationally ranked with a win tomorrow. The rankings do not matter very much at this point in the season, but it would still be nice for us.

Michigan State has some ability with the bats and they have played a tough schedule, but they are also a team that only has three wins on the season. We'll see, but I don't think that is the sort of thing that leads to national rankings. However, if UConn also takes care of business next week in Houston as well, that could be a different story.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I like that we're trying to get 3 out of 4 of our catchers into the lineup the way they're hitting. Whether, ultimately, Phillips or Brodnansky can field well enough to play at 3B remains to be seen

Reaction Score
Thad back at 3B. Interesting.

Interesting, but not a total surprise, at least I don't think so. Earlier in the week it was reported that Phillips was practicing with the infielders. Moriarty and Langer are probably a little banged up after getting hit by pitches this series (Moriarty was hit in the area of the hand late in last night's game). Also, I think Penders has a tendency to experiment on Sundays after clinching a non conference series, and this is certainly a bit of an experiment. Phillips is a senior, has shown he can hit, and I don't think Penders wants to forget him. Winkel and Gozzo have a firm grip on the catcher spot as well. It wouldn't surprise me to see Phillips to resurface on occasion at 3B through the course of the season, especially during non conference games. If he eventually shows some aptitude for playing the position, he may start to get in on the mix at 3B in conference play.

Reaction Score
Nothing much happening in the top of the 1st, other than Prato reaching base on an error. No score, with Jimmy Wang ready to go in the bottom of the 1st.

Reaction Score
Sirens happen during play by play, not just during post game interviews.

Reaction Score
Bottom 1st, Pat Winkel helps Wang out by throwing out a base stealer for the first out, who had reached on a walk.

Reaction Score
Double play helps out Wang in the bottom of the 2nd. Wang faces the minimum three batters for a scoreless inning. Wang at 32 pitches. No score yet.

Reaction Score
Funny, after that long doubleheader yesterday, this game definitely has a feel of a slow non eventful Sunday morning.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom