UConn v. Fresno State Game Notes: | The Boneyard

UConn v. Fresno State Game Notes:

Reaction Score
Interesting.
a few quick observations:
  • Mensah on track to surpass everyone but DB in all-time rushing. Pretty impressive. Only needs 500yrds to be #2 and 1200 to pass DB.
  • Quarterback is “Steven Krajewski or Jack Zergiotis” No surprise there.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Backup WR are not names I recognized. What about Hairston or Elijah Jeffries?

Also interesting to see Carter listed as a starter at RB alongside Mensah.

Anyone else think we might see both Zerg and Steven Krajewski taking different series? Given Steven Krajewski is listed as the starting holder, it appears like he’s still the underdog here but I strongly believe he’s out best chance for dynamic play at the position with less mistakes.

Reaction Score
Backup WR are not names I recognized. What about Hairston or Elijah Jeffries?

Also interesting to see Carter listed as a starter at RB alongside Mensah.

Anyone else think we might see both Zerg and Steven Krajewski taking different series? Given Steven Krajewski is listed as the starting holder, it appears like he’s still the underdog here but I strongly believe he’s out best chance for dynamic play at the position with less mistakes.
Not naming game 1 starting QB means no one has TAKEN the job. Does not bode well. We are a 27 point under dog.

Reaction Score
@Chin Diesel said it best. Planning will be the same for Fresno regardless of QB.
Yes but I'm pretty sure Edsall said day 1 of camp that a starter wouldn't be named until game day.

It's still a problem that we aren't able to just say "this is the quarterback" and it doesn't leave me hopeful, but nothing has really changed

Reaction Score
It’s either this or HCRE2.0 not wanting to give Fresno an idea of whose starting in order to force them to continue prepping for the possibility of both behind center.
What would be the difference for Fresno to prep between the 2? Just asking since I'm not sure what the difference would be other than one of them has "IT".

Reaction Score
Not naming game 1 starting QB means no one has TAKEN the job. Does not bode well. We are a 27 point under dog.
Dude… they do this every year.

Reaction Score
Fresno has 20 out of 22 starters returning with some transfers added. The defense will get a good test right out of the gate with an experienced QB in Haener and a good running back in Rivers. Fresno led their league in total offense last year averaged 38.2 points per game. Our offense will need to keep up for sure.

Reaction Score
Fresno State’s Game Notes are now up… 1 UConn (PDF) - Fresno State Athletics
They're starting C is a SR and not very big at 6' 288lbs.... Folks, you might think that's an advantage for us, BUT, from a leverage/technique standpoint his get off at a lower level than our T Jones can be a bit of a concern. Hopefully Lwal Uguak gets to deal with him a little more since he's closer to his size and can probably may be a little closer to the ground at initial contact. At the same time, for us, it could be an advantage for Sidney Walker at C for us.... btw just noticed they have two hog maulies up front on interior DL.. both 6'3 300ish starting... geesh...

Reaction Score
So Edsall said on Day 1 of camp we might not name a starting qb until right before kickoff. Now he is doing it. Why is anybody shocked? He told you this was the plan. And I doubt it means anything more than he is being a coach. It’s like telling the media that there is open competition at quarterback when the candidates were Orlovsky and Bones. It is just a thing coaches do sometimes. Randy has never been shy about naming a quarterback but he has not always named one. But once he does he usually hangs with him for a bit. So unless the starter is 2-15-8 with no tds and 2 ints done expect to see a change. Edsall is not Diaco or Paqualoni.

On the flip side I suspect he knows what he plans to do. And I bet the team knows too. I even bet most of us are pretty sure.

Reaction Score
So Edsall said on Day 1 of camp we might not name a starting qb until right before kickoff. Now he is doing it. Why is anybody shocked? He told you this was the plan. And I doubt it means anything more than he is being a coach. It’s like telling the media that there is open competition at quarterback when the candidates were Orlovsky and Bones. It is just a thing coaches do sometimes. Randy has never been shy about naming a quarterback but he has not always named one. But once he does he usually hangs with him for a bit. So unless the starter is 2-15-8 with no tds and 2 ints done expect to see a change. Edsall is not Diaco or Paqualoni.

On the flip side I suspect he knows what he plans to do. And I bet the team knows too. I even bet most of us are pretty sure.
Big Facts. Emperor Zerg is about to lead us to glory.

Reaction Score
I think they named Pindell early then was replaced first game. Sounds like they are both capable.
That’s true but Pindell was awful in that game. He missed receivers, fumbled threw into coverage. Looked totally lost. Fortunately Edsall over ruled Chief’s darling and replaced him.

Reaction Score
Eh, 2 170 lb dbacks, light de’s and such respect they named their LB position after us. We got this.

Btw, their backup ol should try and help their hapless bb program - a 6’8” guard blocking for a 6 ft qb??

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcs1228

Top Bottom