UConn v. Boston College (Tuesday 3/30 @ 3p @ Elliot Ballpark). Game on ($)Husky All Access & WHUS-FM | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn v. Boston College (Tuesday 3/30 @ 3p @ Elliot Ballpark). Game on ($)Husky All Access & WHUS-FM

Reaction Score

Coach Penders noted this in the interview as well, but the bottom of the batting order really produced today. The bottom 3 (including Langer pinch hitting and Morton pinch running) scored 8 runs and drove in 8 runs as well. That's a nice change of pace for the offense right there.

Reaction Score
In seasons past Penders would put out a lineup. I would question it and it would work most of the time. Quickly I realized why he is head coach and I am not. That was a given until this season. Lineup changes, shakeups weren’t all that successful. Then comes today. I see Ben Maycock and big wink starting. Maycock hasn’t hit anything...been hit yes...but not hit anything. Wink had a tack on dinger on Friday and looked overwhelmed for the most part in DH on Saturday. Well today, Jimmy got his magic touch back. Wink goes nuts, Maycock gets on base twice and scores both times. Hoping mojo changes here and we see a team with the ole hook C swagger and toughness for umass....regardless rollskies baby....

Reaction Score
In seasons past Penders would put out a lineup. I would question it and it would work most of the time. Quickly I realized why he is head coach and I am not. That was a given until this season. Lineup changes, shakeups weren’t all that successful. Then comes today. I see Ben Maycock and big wink starting. Maycock hasn’t hit anything...been hit yes...but not hit anything. Wink had a tack on dinger on Friday and looked overwhelmed for the most part in DH on Saturday. Well today, Jimmy got his magic touch back. Wink goes nuts, Maycock gets on base twice and scores both times. Hoping mojo changes here and we see a team with the ole hook swagger and toughness for umass....regardless rollskies baby....

Ben Maycock and Chris Winkel are getting playing time because of all the injuries, otherwise Maycock would have been on the bench and that would have been a possible spot for Winkel as well. However, they both got the opportunity to play today, and they took advantage of it. As I have noted in the past, if you get a chance to play and you do something with it, Penders is likely going to give you more opportunities. After today's performance, it would not surprise me if Maycock gets another shot at D.H. against UMass this weekend as long as they throw right handers. I'm guessing Langer would get D,H. time against any left handers UMass uses. One thing Penders has not done all that much in the past is use a platoon system at any position, but one could be emerging with those two until guys like Ferrer and/or Simmons and even Devenney are healthy again and able to get back into the lineup.

The odd thing is, in the past I've always been intrigued by Maycock's power/speed potential, primarily due to the interesting stats he has produced in summer ball over the years. With Maycock's slow start this season, I had lost the intrigue in him so to speak, but we'll see what he can do this weekend assuming he gets more playing time.

On a side note, Andy Hague got a chance to play a couple games against Rhode Island, and did not produce. Back to the bench he goes. If he had produced a bit, it is possible he may have played against BC, instead of Maycock.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Game Notes:
  • In the five games at Elliot Ballpark, Kyler Fedko and Chris Winkel have each hit three home runs.
  • Chris Winkel had a career-high five RBIs and had his first mutli-homer game of his UConn career.
  • UConn has five players with a multi-homer game this season (Pat and Chris Winkel, Reggie Crawford, Zach Bushling & Kyler Fedko).
  • The Huskies notched their fourth shutout of the season. Three of them have come in the last six games.
  • Kenny Haus has recorded nine-straight scoreless innings dating back to Texas Tech.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom