UConn v. #18 Duke Blue Devils @ Rentschler Field (Saturday 9/23/23 @ 3:30p on CBSSN) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn v. #18 Duke Blue Devils @ Rentschler Field (Saturday 9/23/23 @ 3:30p on CBSSN)

Reaction Score
If it's gonna be rainy & windy in East Hartford that could play into our favor. We can't pass anyway. Better chance of winning a low scoring affair if the D plays well and we win the turnover batle.

Screen Shot 2023-09-21 at 11.27.16 AM.png

Reaction Score
is that good or bad?
Well, NCST was a super quick team. Not so good against a team like that. Looks like Duke could be a ground war given the weather forecast. So we shall see. My guess is that any ranked team should be able to shut that down against UConn.

Reaction Score

Maybe someone has noted this but take a quick look at the video 6 seconds in ... then watch it at 8 seconds in. Charlton is setting the offense up for failure. I'll admit don't know football much beyond most here but I don't think you need to be an expert to see how improbable the task is for each player on this call alone. 2nd and 11 ...

Start of the play its immediately clear how easy it is going to be for FIU's CBS to defend but freezing it 2 seconds that's really telling ... the FIU CBS's have barely budged while the WR's are doing Juke dance moves 8 - 10 yards off ... instead of protecting the QB Charlton is asking 300 lb OL men to sprint half way across the field for a block on a play that develops in 2/3 seconds while asking his fastest most skilled players to pretty much stay in place.

At 9 seconds in frozen, the OL men are sucking wind and look like ... well OL men running ...not even close to the ball catch to make their blocks. At least use those OL to protect the QB buy some time and have your WR's move around a little...Am i missing something?

Reaction Score
Maybe someone has noted this but take a quick look at the video 6 seconds in ... then watch it at 8 seconds in. Charlton is setting the offense up for failure. I'll admit don't know football much beyond most here but I don't think you need to be an expert to see how improbable the task is for each player on this call alone. 2nd and 11 ...

Start of the play its immediately clear how easy it is going to be for FIU's CBS to defend but freezing it 2 seconds that's really telling ... the FIU CBS's have barely budged while the WR's are doing Juke dance moves 8 - 10 yards off ... instead of protecting the QB Charlton is asking 300 lb OL men to sprint half way across the field for a block on a play that develops in 2/3 seconds while asking his fastest most skilled players to pretty much stay in place.

At 9 seconds in frozen, the OL men are sucking wind and look like ... well OL men running ...not even close to the ball catch to make their blocks. At least use those OL to protect the QB buy some time and have your WR's move around a little...Am i missing something?
The play call is the play call and I'm definitely not a scheme expert but key in on the missed blocks - If #51/#62 knocked their man off stride before pulling and #14 made his initial responsibility block the play develops differently. (Where's @Kgun7 when you need him!)

Reaction Score

I'm not defensing the plays, but I looked at the 4 plays in the video and this is what I saw.

Play 1: DBs read the play, but #14 badly missed a block. Linemen are not supposed to block the DBs at the line on that play.

Play 2: 2 UConn players block 1 DB and the other DB made the tackle. That's a missed block.

Play 3: DB didn't bite on pass, held, and made the tackle.

Play 4: Backside effort from 97, but he pursued the ball carrier and did not contain. He was vulnerable to a reverse, but UConn has not run a reverse this year (I don't think). If he didn't make that tackle, it looks like it would have been a big play

I think too many of the plays are slow developing and it looked life FIU was daring UConn to pass and if UConn passed, it would have opened up the run. We need some quick passes/slants to make positive yards and sometimes a big play. And, we need to figure out some vertical routes. Plus, I think we need, sometimes, a blocking back to help free the RBs.

Reaction Score
I remember UConn won three home games in the rain in 2007 against Louisville, South Florida and Rutgers. I am hoping for something similar in the rain and wind Saturday. Another upset in the rain? Go UConn

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
We're winning this game on Saturday, ladies and gents. I don't know why I have that feeling, but I just do. Maybe it was the second half defense. Maybe it's the fact that I detest Duke.

But we're winning this game...

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
We're winning this game on Saturday, ladies and gents. I don't know why I have that feeling, but I just do. Maybe it was the second half defense. Maybe it's the fact that I detest Duke.

But we're winning this game...
I hate to admit this but I expect a victory every time they take the field & would not tune in otherwise. It can be tough taking all the disappointment but I refuse to except defeat before hand.

Reaction Score
The play call is the play call and I'm definitely not a scheme expert but key in on the missed blocks - If #51/#62 knocked their man off stride before pulling and #14 made his initial responsibility block the play develops differently. (Where's @Kgun7 when you need him!)

It looks like it was supposed to be a tunnel screen to Joly, but the timing and movement was off. Joly needed to come to the ball and get inside of the hash marks and Roberson needed to lead him towards the middle of the field. #14 Harris did his job. #71 Senn & #62 NOY were in position to seal the outside and get Joly downfield. The FIU DT forced the throw to come out a little sooner than optimal and threw the timing off.

Reaction Score
Well it is a home game, maybe a couple key turnovers in UConn’s favor and game on. That being said, if I’m betting then I’d say Duke by 14.
If UConn is winning at half time Im heading to the field.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom