UConn - UVA Post Game Coverage | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn - UVA Post Game Coverage

Reaction Score
Is there a replay of the game? I was not able to watch yesterday. Thanks.

Reaction Score
It is not good when you have players in on offense that telegraph what you are going to do. Having JT in on most second half 3rd downs for pass protection purposes does this. I thought Arkell did OK in pass pro. Hope Mensah and Hopkins can improve theirs.

Reaction Score
UConn Focused On Correcting Mistakes After Loss To Virginia
Mike Anthony

UConn flew back to Connecticut on Saturday evening. Sunday was a film-breakdown day.

"I'm still trying to find out what I think some of these guys can do best," Edsall said. "I got a little better feel for it now after watching another game."

"There were good things that happened out there, but as I told the team afterward, we're way too inconsistent," Edsall said. "You can't be that way. It starts in the meeting rooms, and it starts on practice fields. And now they're going to see all of these things that we continue to talk about. There are things we did better than the first game, and there are things we didn't do so well. So that's the type of thing we've got to get corrected, and now we're going to be into it each and every week and get into a routine."

UConn Focused On Correcting Mistakes After Loss To Virginia

Reaction Score
Good grades in this game?

The surgery was a success but the patient died.

This team was psychologically unprepared to compete on the road.

I watched 10 min of this game. On the first drive there was a play where the Y receiver needed to be handed off from the OLB to the FS, or whatever the inside shell DB is called in this D, and they were 5 steps too slow. Basically telegraphed the receiver would be wide open, and sure enough, 12 yd out pattern off the route tree and first down big yard chunk play.

Been a long time since we went on the road mentally tough enough to win.

How does being more, "psychologically prepared" help stop the scenario you describe?

Reaction Score
How does being more, "psychologically prepared" help stop the scenario you describe?

It's pretty obvious I think. You need to know your assignments are going to be based on what the offense presents as a formation, fill your gaps if you're a run first defender, and get your zones/leverage/man assisgnments right if you're a pass first defender, and if you're a LBr, you need to be communicating with everybody to make sure you know what you're going to do at the snap. On the road, you need to be able to do that and ignore your surroundings and focus on nothing but getting your job done within the team.

That way, you can get on the balls of your feet and attack the offense at the snap rather than play slow on your heels and drop off the offensive players with 10-12 yard cushions.

We also need our best player on D - over the nose in a 3-3-5 to start actually playing like senior monster nose tackle, but that's another story.

I'm not here pontificating on how good or bad we are as physically talented team. We are not going to win any games based on talent. That's been painfully obvious for at least 5 years now. We barely beat Holy Cross.

All I've been saying is that UVA isn't a very good team either, and we made them look like a top 25 team - because we were woefully unprepared mentally to compete on the road on defense. On offense, we simply aren't good enough a team all around to be overcoming red zone turnovers. Need points on the board. It's a 3 phase game, and we need all 3 to work together to to have a chance to win. A better team than UVA would have put up 800 yards of offense and 60+ points on this D this past week. We were the freaking bad news bears. All that was missing was some defenders runnign into each other and knocking themselves out of the plays.

I'm not going to go to much farther with this. It's pretty simple. We haven't won a road game in a long, long time. That's not a scheme or talent thing because we've played some really bad teams. I think the last time we won, was the 7-3 win at Tulane where we didnt' score and offensive point. Could be wrong.

It's a team mentality, player leadership and mental preparedness thing - according to me. Disagree with that if you want, but I'm not changing my mind. We need player leadership on this team on the field and off, we need to start building a real team again in all 3 phases of the game, and we need to start being a hell of lot better practiced and prepared for what offenses can present on the field for the D, and we better start protecting the ball better on offense.

Coaches need to coach, and players need to play.

It's on to next week.

Reaction Score
It's pretty obvious I think. You need to know your assignments are going to be based on what the offense presents as a formation, fill your gaps if you're a run first defender, and get your zones/leverage/man assisgnments right if you're a pass first defender, and if you're a LBr, you need to be communicating with everybody to make sure you know what you're going to do at the snap. On the road, you need to be able to do that and ignore your surroundings and focus on nothing but getting your job done within the team.

That way, you can get on the balls of your feet and attack the offense at the snap rather than play slow on your heels and drop off the offensive players with 10-12 yard cushions.

We also need our best player on D - over the nose in a 3-3-5 to start actually playing like senior monster nose tackle, but that's another story.

I'm not here pontificating on how good or bad we are as physically talented team. We are not going to win any games based on talent. That's been painfully obvious for at least 5 years now. We barely beat Holy Cross.

All I've been saying is that UVA isn't a very good team either, and we made them look like a top 25 team - because we were woefully unprepared mentally to compete on the road on defense. On offense, we simply aren't good enough a team all around to be overcoming red zone turnovers. Need points on the board. It's a 3 phase game, and we need all 3 to work together to to have a chance to win. A better team than UVA would have put up 800 yards of offense and 60+ points on this D this past week. We were the freaking bad news bears. All that was missing was some defenders runnign into each other and knocking themselves out of the plays.

I'm not going to go to much farther with this. It's pretty simple. We haven't won a road game in a long, long time. That's not a scheme or talent thing because we've played some really bad teams. I think the last time we won, was the 7-3 win at Tulane where we didnt' score and offensive point. Could be wrong.

It's a team mentality, player leadership and mental preparedness thing - according to me. Disagree with that if you want, but I'm not changing my mind. We need player leadership on this team on the field and off, we need to start building a real team again in all 3 phases of the game, and we need to start being a hell of lot better practiced and prepared for what offenses can present on the field for the D, and we better start protecting the ball better on offense.

It's on to next week.

Some fair points.

The difference is, while I agree Virginia isn't good, it's still in the ACC and has some decent players. I think it's obvious for many, that we simply don't pass the eye test for enough 1A type players. Unfortunately, I don't think a difference in mental psychology can overcome this at this level.

Reaction Score
Some fair points.

The difference is, while I agree Virginia isn't good, it's still in the ACC and has some decent players. I think it's obvious for many, that we simply don't pass the eye test for enough 1A type players. Unfortunately, I don't think a difference in mental psychology can overcome this at this level.

Recruiting deficiencies are most obvious at the line of scrimmage and in open field speed - I think. Playing fast, and actually being physically fast - are two different things. When you can do both pretty well, you're going to be able to compete with anyone. When you can't do either very well, UVA runs off it's longest scoring offensive possession in 120 years, and I think, if not mistaken - with penalty yardages included - they put up over 100 yards of offense in just under 10 minutes to score a TD on the opening possesison of the game.

Football is not a physical game - that's incidental and physicality requirements go with recruiting to the level of competition you want to compete and win at. The game is about crushing your opponent's mental will. Our defense didn't show up with a lot of will power to compete, and it didn't get better as the game went on.

But once again, it's not just the D - the offense screwed up pretty bad too by not putting up points to help the team get back in the game, and we had a stupid penalty to kill a big kick return. The team simply didn't respond well - but they didn't quit either. That's good.

Reaction Score

It's on to next week.

Spackler is back. I was getting used to reading 5 sentence posts. Now I'm :eek: again.

Reaction Score
Thx. Just saw that missed block by Hopkins on the first series. Atrocious.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Thx. Just saw that missed block by Hopkins on the first series. Atrocious.

Yeah, if we could get RBs to pick up their blitz blocks it would make a huge difference in the offense. Huge.

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
You do know he is referencing an all time great movie quote from Animal House, right?

Dude - Animal House did not take place during WWII. It was the early 60's.

How stupid are people????

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Are you playing with me or are you really this obtuse?

Now you are quoting Andy Dufresne. You are seriously confused.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom