UConn - UVA Post Game Coverage | The Boneyard

UConn - UVA Post Game Coverage

Reaction Score
Neill Ostrout‏ @NeillOstrout 13m 13 minutes ago
Edsall: "We're not a good enough football team to do that (two red zone turnovers)."

Neill Ostrout‏ @NeillOstrout 11m 11 minutes ago
Edsall: "I have to find a way to get them (DB's) some confidence...you can't play scared."

Neill Ostrout‏ @NeillOstrout 8m 8 minutes ago
Edsall: "We're way too inconsistent."

TheUConnBlog‏ @TheUConnBlog 8m 8 minutes ago
Edsall on going for TDs instead of FG: it wasn't gonna be a field goal game. I'm not into (morale value of not being shut out)

Jim Fuller‏ @NHRJimFuller 1m 1 minute ago
Concussion sidelined UConn DB Anthony Watkins for most of loss to Virginia

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Neill Ostrout‏ @NeillOstrout 13m 13 minutes ago
Edsall: "We're not a good enough football team to do that (two red zone turnovers)."

Edsall: "I have to find a way to get them (DB's) some confidence...you can't play scared."

Neill Ostrout‏ @NeillOstrout 8m 8 minutes ago
Edsall: "We're way too inconsistent."

Jim Fuller‏ @NHRJimFuller 1m 1 minute ago
Concussion sidelined UConn DB Anthony Watkins for most of loss to Virginia

DBs playing scared would certainly explain a lot of what we saw today. Remnants of the Diaco era. Hopefully they can break that sooner rather than later. I hope Watkins is okay...

Reaction Score
DBs playing scared would certainly explain a lot of what we saw today. Remnants of the Diaco era. Hopefully they can break that sooner rather than later. I hope Watkins is okay...

My son made the same remark about crazy bob. It's gonna take sometime, be patient UConn fans). After all this is the third coach in 6 years. Pp and BD didn't do the team any favors as far as coaching goes and they have to unlearn a lot,too.

Reaction Score
hmmm.

an older and wiser Edsall post game.

agreed. team is no where near good enough to overcome red zone turnovers on the road against a D1 opppnent, even as bad as UVa, and our defense played like a bunch of scared kids with zero confidence and you cant play with balls and speed if you have no confidence.

Reaction Score
Jim Fuller‏ @NHRJimFuller 45s 46 seconds ago
The 626 yards of total offense allowed is most by #UConn defense since 2009 game at Cincinnati
Meanwhile, somewhere in a freight elevator....
111.jpg

Reaction Score
UConn release and quotes:

Notes:
  • Fourth-straight road game that the Huskies have not scored a first half touchdown (last, Sept. 29, 2016 at Houston).
  • Shirreffs is fifth all-time in program history with 361 completions, passess Ken Sweitzer (345 completions).
  • Tyler Coyle notched first career INT with his third quarter pick.
  • Arkeel Newsome now 4th in UConn history in all-purpose yards with 4321, passing Donald Brown (4286 yards).
  • 60-yard TD pass from Shirreffs to Mayala was the longest passing touchdown for the Huskies since Oct. 8, 2016 at USF (70 yards, Shirreffs to Newsome)
  • First time UConn defense has allowed three 100-yard receivers (Zaccheaus, Levrone, Dowling) since Oct. 1, 2011 vs. Western Michigan (White, Ravenell and Arnheim).
  • Hergy Mayala records his first multi-touchdown game of his career. The first Husky to catch multiple touchdowns in a game since Noel Thomas on Nov. 21 vs. Houston.
  • In his first career game, Kevin Mensah rushed 49 yards on six carries and scored his first touchdown on a 30-yard run in the fourth quarter

Reaction Score
From UConn release quotes above:

>>I thought Ryan Van Demark did a pretty good job in there as a right tackle for a freshman. There are a lot of guys that are young guys that are playing but again that’s part of my responsibility as a head coach to figure out who the guys are that are the best guys and then we have to play them.”. “We were going to have him play every third series, and I would say that he’s earned his way to play more. <<

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Anyway you look at this game, it leaves a bitter and gritty taste in your mouth. Hard to be optimistic about the game next week against ECU after a dismal performance like today's. Lots of things to address and clean up.
I wonder if ECU will be as "generous" next week against UConn as they today with Virginia Tech (64-17)?

Edsall: "I have to find a way to get them (DB's) some confidence...you can't play scared." Perhaps a trip to see the Wizard would be in order.

Last edited by a moderator:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
From UConn release quotes above:

>>I thought Ryan Van Demark did a pretty good job in there as a right tackle for a freshman. There are a lot of guys that are young guys that are playing but again that’s part of my responsibility as a head coach to figure out who the guys are that are the best guys and then we have to play them.”. “We were going to have him play every third series, and I would say that he’s earned his way to play more. <<
Did Nino play today? I noticed Ryan, he looked okay.

We really need a big time center in this recruiting class.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Two red zone disasters (and several other drives stalled on the UVA side of the field) aside I actually really like our offense. I think Lashlee is starting to understand the players and define roles. Setting up that flea flicker with the wildcat draw was unlike any thing I have ever seen UConn do. Yeah there was the Garret Anderson play but this was so much smoother and Donavan's draw just set it up awesomely. Still need more TE though. Bloom had the drop in the end zone early and I don't think we saw another for a TE til Davis and Myers each had one late. If you throw short passes to them out of the HBack once in a while it will deter the blitzes that are killing us.

I also think we have seen the end of Arkeel as a traditional running back which is a good thing. Hopkins and Mensah are much more rugged and tough to bring done. A screen to Newsome is usually open and basically an easy 6 yds. I have faith Lashlee continue to figure out personal and put our guys in spots to succeed.

I won't talk about the defense...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom