UConn-USC Postgame Thread (The Huskies back to the Final Four!!!) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn-USC Postgame Thread (The Huskies back to the Final Four!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Congratulations to the team. So happy for Ice and Q especially. Ice did what she can do, if she only believes in herself. Q is developing and as soon as she improves with he handles, at the college level, she will be a great one. As for the other ladies, Nika, KK, Paige, Aaliyah, Ashlynn they were great. Go Huskies

Reaction Score
She's a first year player devastated by a loss that kept her team from the FF. Give her some grace.
Nah, she whined and complained all game long (like most of her team). If I gave her some grace it would be a first for her.

Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on tonight’s game:
  • YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!
  • When you come to UConn and play for Geno, these are the games you dream about…..the Big Dance in March & April…..with everything on the line. After all that UConn has been through this season; the injuries, the lack of size, experience and depth, somehow this Husky team found a way to take down the #1 seed in their bracket on their way to the program’s 23rd Final Four!!!
  • Once again UConn was led by their incomparable superstar. Paige continues to play a brilliant, complete brand of basketball the likes of which I have never seen before. Paige’s stat line tonight: 28 pts, 10 rebounds, 6 assists, 3 steals and 2 blocks.:eek::eek::eek:
  • Ju Ju Watkins is the most talented freshman scorer in WBB since Caitlin Clark. Tonight, she was dogged by Nika, KK and Paige. Despite all the attention, Watkins still managed to put up 29 points. She is the future of WBB. But tonight belonged to UConn!!!
  • I also want to recognize the extraordinary efforts of Aaliyah over the past four games. She’s been playing out of position at center all season. Coming back after a broken nose, Aaliyah has been matched up against a string of players who go 6’3”, 6’6”, 6’5”, 6’6”, 6’5”, 6’4” & 6’6” in games vs Jackson St, Syracuse, Duke & USC. In those games Aaliyah has been nothing short of spectacular, battling heroically in the paint against a wave of opposing Bigs.
  • UConn got some solid and much needed PT from Ice & Q tonight, particularly with KK & Nika in foul trouble.
  • The Huskies were fighting fatigue at the end of the game. It certainly showed at the foul line. Somehow they hung in there and pulled it out. YOU GOT TO LOVE THIS TEAM! :)
  • Against all odds, UConn has made it back to another FF. Iowa and CC will be waiting for the Huskies in Cleveland. On paper, Iowa has more experience, more depth and should be the favorite to end UConn’s championship run this year. Yessiree, UConn has them right where we want them…..:cool:
“Watkins still managed to put up 29 points. She is the future of WBB.”

Don’t sleep on Q…

Reaction Score
AE 24, Paige 28, what you can expect more points from those 2 super stars ?
It's the scoring from Ice Brady that was miraculous! She's been a huge disappoint and non-factor the entire season. Yet she's woken up suddenly!!! A miracle!!!

Reaction Score
Paige and Aaliyah rocked it! Ice Brady gave the minutes of her life. Despite a lapse in the lease last year, the Final Four is still indeed UConn's house!

UConn actually matches up with Iowa extremely well - Geno putting on the coaching display of his life in the last 5 minutes.

Iowa is actually a superbly coached team. They have the all-time scoring leader. But the rest of the team plays seamlessly around her. Not great talent, but play brilliantly together. One can't double-team or triple-team Clark and expect to win. They're very, very sharp, and hats off to Bluder.

Reaction Score
Again too many posts to read through, so probably repetitious, but an overall tough group that fought a lot of bumps in the road last night. And to the often maligned freshman Ice Brady, she was so valuable the last 2 games when we fought through foul trouble

Whether or not Watkins gets special treatment I’ll leave to others to debate. She is one crazy talent.
She is absolutely a great talent watched a few games of hers and she likes to initiate contact on her pull ups to draw fouls until refs start calling it why stop ?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
If that is true, Geno should speak to the NCAA
I believe Maj Forsberg has been a referee in Big East, including UConn, games.
And the infamous Dee Kantner has officiated in games with teams from almost every conference playing and odds are that she will be on the court in the Final Four.

Reaction Score
It's the scoring from Ice Brady that was miraculous! She's been a huge disappoint and non-factor the entire season. Yet she's woken up suddenly!!! A miracle!!!
Ice hasn't met expectations yet, but she has always been able to shoot. I think the game is just a little too fast for her, but maybe yesterday she was able to finally keep pace. Yes, she scored- she does best when she automatically puts up the shot and doesn't overthink before shooting. But I also liked her rebounding which was better yesterday. She is starting to go after rebounds and really grab them. She is still behind a bit, I feel, with knowing where to position on offensive plays. But, a 6'3 shooter and rebounder is always a good thing to have, and she may end up being a difference yet in the two games (yes, two) still to come.

Reaction Score
In the 4th quarter, UConn really seemed to emphasize rebounding, especially on the defensive boards. This helped them to win the game. USC started taking the outside shots and UConn was able to take advantage of great shots by Ice, Paige, Aaliyah et. al to build their lead. That team rebounding was impressive- if they can carry that forward, it will serve them will in next games.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Anyone have an insight into that foul where Marshall threw Aaliyah down under the basket? The refs missed it but it looked like there was some frustration behind it. Was there something going on that led up to it?
If this is the same play I posted about in the Chat, it happened on a made UConn basket and with Aaliyah laying on the court, Antonelli was praising USC (Marshall?) for inbounding the ball so quickly in hopes of getting a fast break going. My jaw dropped as Deb completely ignored the flagrant foul that most everyone saw.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't go THAT far. Remember she is coming off an injured season so she had to get back in basketball shape plus she IS technically a freshman. She didn't live up to all the hype she was given but who does?

Reaction Score
I think JUJu is a great player but she likes to lean into the defensive players to get that and 1 call I wish they would stop that .. but as a defender you have to be ready for that also .. Ash was leaned into on her 1st fouls imo
They mentioned during the broadcast that Geno had them prepared for that, including watching for her legs kicking out on jump shots. Chauncey Billups used to do that all the time. Paige, as a senior AA, former POY, I don't know what see can do to draw fouls. Maybe the refs figure she is looking to avoid contact, so they don't see it. But she takes really hard hits without a call. Juju just needs to drive and if anyone looks at her, they're sending her to the line. It ruins the flow of the game.

Two brutal fouls that weren't called; Paige getting hacked really hard, just over half court, on a pass attempt to AE, which gave Paige a turnover and led to a three pointer down the other end. The announcers kind of mentioned it in passing, like nothing to see here. Then Marshall's over the shoulder take down on AE under the basket, went totally unnoticed by the refs and the announcers. There was also one where Aaliyah got hit hard repeatedly on a drive to the basket. The refs finally had to call a foul once she was hit hard for like the third time.

I do think the officiating, even when bad, tends to even out in the end. But to my eyes, it was very one-sided. You can't go by the number of fouls in the end, if a losing team is trying to shorten the game by intentionally fouling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom