UConn/UNH weekend series (@UNH fri 7, @UConn sat 3:30) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn/UNH weekend series (@UNH fri 7, @UConn sat 3:30)

Reaction Score
I root for all Hockey East programs except BC, so I am happy the Huskies gave their fan base something to cheer for other than women's basketball. It's tough to see it come at the expense of the Durham community, but it was a great weekend for college hockey and we're moving onto Northeastern (do they have a board?). Best of luck the rest of the way and perhaps we'll see you again in March!
Interesting seeing the meltdown of your fanbase over on USCHO especially as it relates to the future coaching change from Umile to Souza.

Reaction Score
I've noticed there's a strong tendency for UConn Mens' and Womens' Ice Hockey to schedule home games at the same time. Like yesterday (1/27/18) at 3PM versus 3:35; and next Friday (2/2/18) at 7PM. It happens a lot. I notice it because I would gladly go to both. Anyway, it doesn't seem like clever athletic policy, and can't affect the attendance positively. It seems so preventable.

Is this an old question? Sorry if so. If not, does anyone know the reason why UConn MHOC and WHOC games are so often scheduled on top of each other? Who makes these decisions? And perhaps the scheduling is smart for some reason I can't see?
I doubt it affects attendance much. I've noticed in past years that women's ice hockey games at UConn usually have only a couple hundred people attending no matter if the men's team is playing at the same time or not.

Part of the schedule conflict is due to the weekends being prime time for playing all college hockey games for both sexes. Part of this is also due to the limited availability of the XL Center to the men's ice hockey team, which seems to be the reason that the men's team often plays on Saturday afternoon, which is usually a prime time for women's games. But obviously, if the two teams were playing in the same arena there wouldn't be any conflicts.

When both teams were playing on campus, the tendency was for the men to play on Friday and Saturday nights, while the women play Saturday and Sunday afternoons. When the men didn't have a home game on Friday night, one of the women's games would occasionally slide over into Friday night. Generally speaking, night games are more desirable in college hockey, so it is no real surprise that with the men no longer playing on campus, the UConn women want to play more Friday night games. This would have the advantage of avoiding Saturday or Sunday conflicts with either of the UConn basketball teams, which would be an especially important consideration if either of these teams are playing on campus at Gampel.
How about men's and women's double header at XL ?

Reaction Score
I root for all Hockey East programs except BC, so I am happy the Huskies gave their fan base something to cheer for other than women's basketball. It's tough to see it come at the expense of the Durham community, but it was a great weekend for college hockey and we're moving onto Northeastern (do they have a board?). Best of luck the rest of the way and perhaps we'll see you again in March!
Funny to hear such talk from a University of No Hardware fan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom