Uconn Undefeated again and another NC | The Boneyard

Uconn Undefeated again and another NC

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This will be one of the most talented teams Geno has ever coached and there have been many. As good as UConn was last year theyre even better this year. IMO Untouchable. Last season I said it would be a fluke for UConn to lose. This season not even a fluke could cause UConn to lose. They are that good and their bench is better then most teams starting lineup. There are no surprises at UConn anymore unless they lose. They have overcome so much over the years. Injuries, lack of height, some transfers, graduation. They continue to win because they are a well oiled machine that cant be stopped.

There are alot of questions this year. Who will start? Getting playtime for everybody. Getting our underclassman the playtime, confidence, experience and development they need to take over when our upperclassman graduate. Our freshman class is loaded as is our future.

Most teams this season have lost alot. Most teams this season are depending on one or two players to carry them. Thats a problem. Dominate players need to learn to play within a team concept, not as individuals who's teammates depend on them.

So let me start with the starters. Geno has always been high on his point guard. Uconn needs to develop their point guard position. Pretty much Gabby Collier and Lou can carry the load and with UConns bench there needs to be development and playtime for those stars that are expected to contribute down the road. This year is all about getting ready for the post season and next season. With the graduation of Kia and Gabby UConn needs to have the players to fill those positions and be UConn Ready. Uconn needs experience coming off the bench which they didnt have last season. Therefore imo the underclassman need to get experience and be developed quickly to be ready for the NCAAs and next season. My starting lineup would start with my 3 All Americans Gabby Lou and Collier along with our soon to be All American Z and at the point Dangerfield/Nurse. Both will share starting and both will get minutes along with Coombs. Lou would play the wing/shooting guard for those who believe in positions. Kiaand Crystal will share starting and coming off the bench. This seasons focus is the development of a point guard and Crystal is it. This is a learning year and confidence builder for Crystal as well as our other underclassman. The development of Camara is critical. She is an enforcer and rebouding machine. We will need her underneath. She plays big. She wanted to come to UConn out of HS however UConn was loaded and I dont know but would think she went to Kentucky because she saw an opportunity for playtime. JMO on that. I expect to see Coombs to see alot of action also. The development of UConn guards is what makes UConn go. Espinoza Hunter is a shooter, and Walker is a scorer and will be the next UConn Star. I like to Dream alot and as most of you know I Dream Big. How bout these 3 high school number 1 and 2 players. Dangerfield Walker and Christyn Williams in the future. Yes I would be shocked if CW didnt choose UConn and I have no inside information on her.

Some of my thoughts on recruits. Boston is coached by Walter Welsh. He develops his players and makes them better. I would guess Boston would like to play at UConn because Geno develops players and makes them better. She is the number 1 player in 2019. She played with Diamond Miller out of Franklin NJ a 6'2 Jr wing/off guard who's dad played for Nova under Rollie Massimino. Both girls played together on U16 team USA. I hear great thinks about Diamond.

So we are about ready for the season to begin. Dont be surprised by the improvement in Kyla Irwin. I think this season she surprises alot of fans. No new news UConn is number 1 and better then advertised. This team is loaded with talent that wants to get better, that wants to win a NC and play big time BB. Remember this when a big time recruit goes elsewhere. There is only one number 1 and thats UConn. If they have the chance to come play here and dont they just may not be UConn material. If a kid comes here, because we are UConn and really doesnt wanna be here it only causes attitude problems which can hurt a team. There are two types of WCBB recruits in this world. Those who think they can play for UConn and those who dont think they can play for UConn....and theyre both right.............

GO Huskies

Tonyc

Reaction Score
This will be one of the most talented teams Geno has ever coached and there have been many. As good as UConn was last year theyre even better this year. IMO Untouchable. Last season I said it would be a fluke for UConn to lose. This season not even a fluke could cause UConn to lose. They are that good and their bench is better then most teams starting lineup. There are no surprises at UConn anymore unless they lose. They have overcome so much over the years. Injuries, lack of height, some transfers, graduation. They continue to win because they are a well oiled machine that cant be stopped.

There are alot of questions this year. Who will start? Getting playtime for everybody. Getting our underclassman the playtime, confidence, experience and development they need to take over when our upperclassman graduate. Our freshman class is loaded as is our future.

Most teams this season have lost alot. Most teams this season are depending on one or two players to carry them. Thats a problem. Dominate players need to learn to play within a team concept, not as individuals who's teammates depend on them.

So let me start with the starters. Geno has always been high on his point guard. Uconn needs to develop their point guard position. Pretty much Gabby Collier and Lou can carry the load and with UConns bench there needs to be development and playtime for those stars that are expected to contribute down the road. This year is all about getting ready for the post season and next season. With the graduation of Kia and Gabby UConn needs to have the players to fill those positions and be UConn Ready. Uconn needs experience coming off the bench which they didnt have last season. Therefore imo the underclassman need to get experience and be developed quickly to be ready for the NCAAs and next season. My starting lineup would start with my 3 All Americans Gabby Lou and Collier along with our soon to be All American Z and at the point Dangerfield/Nurse. Both will share starting and both will get minutes along with Coombs. Lou would play the wing/shooting guard for those who believe in positions. Kiaand Crystal will share starting and coming off the bench. This seasons focus is the development of a point guard and Crystal is it. This is a learning year and confidence builder for Crystal as well as our other underclassman. The development of Camara is critical. She is an enforcer and rebouding machine. We will need her underneath. She plays big. She wanted to come to UConn out of HS however UConn was loaded and I dont know but would think she went to Kentucky because she saw an opportunity for playtime. JMO on that. I expect to see Coombs to see alot of action also. The development of UConn guards is what makes UConn go. Espinoza Hunter is a shooter, and Walker is a scorer and will be the next UConn Star. I like to Dream alot and as most of you know I Dream Big. How bout these 3 high school number 1 and 2 players. Dangerfield Walker and Christyn Williams in the future. Yes I would be shocked if CW didnt choose UConn and I have no inside information on her.

Some of my thoughts on recruits. Boston is coached by Walter Welsh. He develops his players and makes them better. I would guess Boston would like to play at UConn because Geno develops players and makes them better. She is the number 1 player in 2019. She played with Diamond Miller out of Franklin NJ a 6'2 Jr wing/off guard who's dad played for Nova under Rollie Massimino. Both girls played together on U16 team USA. I hear great thinks about Diamond.

So we are about ready for the season to begin. Dont be surprised by the improvement in Kyla Irwin. I think this season she surprises alot of fans. No new news UConn is number 1 and better then advertised. This team is loaded with talent that wants to get better, that wants to win a NC and play big time BB. Remember this when a big time recruit goes elsewhere. There is only one number 1 and thats UConn. If they have the chance to come play here and dont they just may not be UConn material. If a kid comes here, because we are UConn and really doesnt wanna be here it only causes attitude problems which can hurt a team. There are two types of WCBB recruits in this world. Those who think they can play for UConn and those who dont think they can play for UConn....and theyre both right...

GO Huskies

Tonyc
Right on as usual Tonyc.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Right on Tony

The only tiny qualm is the concept that Nurse might not start
Hard to imagine a long time starter not starting in her senior year.

But consider Bria, she decided not to start for the good of the team and it all worked out, just fine...arguing against myself.

Reaction Score
Right on Tony

But consider Bria, she decided not to start for the good of the team and it all worked out, just fine...arguing against myself.

Three reasons why Kia will start: 1. lost only one game that Nurse started at UConn; 2. more experience and knowledge of the offense; 3. more reliable shooter from beyond the arc. Geno chose to start Caroline Doty at the end of her career because he trusted her. Injury prevented Doty from playing very long, but she was the smart and stable player Coach wanted to start. Crystal will play a lot this year and be a difference maker with her high-octane game. Next year she starts at the point and becomes a great player.

Reaction Score
My starting lineup would start with my 3 All Americans Gabby Lou and Collier along with our soon to be All American Z and at the point Dangerfield/Nurse. Both will share starting and both will get minutes along with Coombs.

Tonyc

Barring injury there is ZERO chance that Nurse doesn't start every game this year.

HGN

Reaction Score
Right on Tony

MSF, the only reason Tonyc didn't mention Nurse is because we all know its a Given that she will start. And there is no qualms about that.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
MSF, the only reason Tonyc didn't mention Nurse is because we all know its a Given that she will start. And there is no qualms about that.
Don't forget our talk about using one of several sarcasm emoji available to you.

Reactions: HGN
Reaction Score
Geno trusts Kia. She will start...and have a pretty terrific year.
Kia shall start so shall: Stevens, Napheesa, KLS, Gabby, Danger, maybe Walker, Irwin, others---this is the unfortunate and miserable problem Geno finds himself with. He has a team of multiple parts which are interchangeable and match-able. As of this moment Geno trust his fab 4 plus Danger from last year--whom beyond that does he have GREAT trust in: that player will give him what he expect every time??

Reaction Score
Agree that Nurse starts every game she's healthy. Geno treats his seniors like gold, after all. And he knows that you dance with the one who brung ya!
You are correct with a caveat, depending on the quality of opponent. Geno, if he properly prepares those talented youths may allow them them starting time they earned in practice. I personally expect Walker and others to earn that opportunity. We know in the AAC games the younger crowd may see extensive PT if earned.

Reaction Score
Kia will start. Based on her last three years she is a much, much better defensive player than Crystal. Remember how Geno totally lost confidence in Saniya after her defensive lapses against Stanford despite scoring 20 points.

Kia will start the BIG games---she is all you say. Saniya and Geno's loss of confidence should have taught Geno something---don't give up on a good kid.\ Her final year and WNBA has proven her worth. Is she perfect, heck no--no one except Collier ever is.
Crystal and Kia comparative defenders is not a fair comparison. Crystal is small and fast and is height challenged to a point of being ALMOST a liability under the basket. Kia is good all over the floor and a bit speed challenged. Each has her own niche within he Uconn scheme of baskeball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom