UConn-UCF postgame press conference | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn-UCF postgame press conference

Reaction Score
Not sure how I feel about her performance at the mike. While she tried to parse her words, stating that a different location and different refs would have made a difference was an excuse, no matter how articulate she was. Always referring to Geno as "he," struct me as a sign of disrespect. About half of her remarks were a commercial for how well she has done since taking over. Apart from my natural prejudice as a UConn fan, I have to give UCF credit for a strong year but don't feel this style will ever be take them far in March Madness. Too many good teams out there that rely on basketball, not physical, skills.

Reaction Score
Respectfully I think it’s less a matter of national recognition than it is regular season success. Play tough opponents, win those games, and you’ll end up being a highly seeded team. That’s no different in the men’s game than it is in the women’s game.

Sports, in many ways, is the ultimate meritocracy. Teams are rewarded for their success.
I can’t necessarily disagree but I think UCONN got dissed somewhat this year because of the regular season losses and they didn’t play that tough of a out of conference schedule so yes, there’s some of that that goes into the decisioning. But the day of week UCONN is scheduled to play in the NCAAs, the hour of day, where they’re placed, etc. all goes into the sausage grinder and I think reputation is as big of a lever as anything.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I can’t necessarily disagree but I think UCONN got dissed somewhat this year because of the regular season losses and they didn’t play that tough of a out of conference schedule so yes, there’s some of that that goes into the decisioning. But the day of week UCONN is scheduled to play in the NCAAs, the hour of day, where they’re placed, etc. all goes into the sausage grinder and I think reputation is as big of a lever as anything.
I would imagine that they give some thought as to a teams ability to draw tv viewers when they scheduled game times, but I’ve never heard it specifically said. I absolutely agree that the fact that UConn fans will buy tickets and come and watch games directly impacts Bridgeport‘s viability as a regional venue. Geography impacts regional placement. The NCAA has expressly said that.

But all those things being true, if you don’t win enough games, none of it matters. Connecticut was facing that hard reality this season. In the end though, the team was able to push through hardship, disease, and injury and keep winning games with a depleted roster. It was those wins that got them the two seed. But as you pointed out, the losses kept them off the top line, just as it should.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UCF has played this way for a while. A couple years ago, UConn played UCF here in Orlando (crowd was 3/4 UConn fans) and pulled out a 7 point win.

I had season tickets to UCF and didn’t see the overly physical style with other teams. However, UConn is a physical team and UCF may just be trying to put the Huskies on the defensive first. But, these two teams don’t like each other much and it shows.
Thanks for pointing this out. I fought the urge to post my initial reaction which was “We’re UConn. Every arena is our home court.” Now, that’s deliberate puffery, arrogantly stated, but it is largely true. Connecticut women’s basketball fans are as passionate as any in the country, and demonstratively more passionate than all but a few programs.

For what it’s worth, I know you dislike the “T word“ but UCF has always had a reputation for physical play, and when we played in the same conference with them I felt there were instances where it surpassed aggressiveness and strayed into unwarranted physicality. But, last night, I felt they were tough, physical, and aggressive, but not dirty. I don’t have a problem with that. It’s up to the refs to control the game, which I think they did.

Reaction Score
Carl Adamec: "How difficult was it for you guys to, you know, retain your poise down the stretch the way you guys did..."

UConn up 48-36 with 5:05 to go.
UConn up 48-45 with 0:20 to go.

I suppose Mr. Adamec and I have vastly divengent opinions on what retaining one's poise down the stretch means.

Reaction Score
I get that she's proud of her team. But at least be gracious even in defeat. Hard to like this coach.
Battles is lucky she wasn’t tossed for a flagrant when she threw that straight arm into Paige’s shoulder knocking her to the floor. I mean it definitely was intentional. If any of the refs had seen it from the angle the camera did when it happened, she would have been gone.

Reaction Score
Battles is lucky she wasn’t tossed for a flagrant when she threw that straight arm into Paige’s shoulder knocking her to the floor. I mean it definitely was intentional. If any of the refs had seen it from the angle the camera did when it happened, she would have been gone.
No chance that would have been an ejection. Flagrant 1, maybe, but a 2 that results in an automatic ejection? Zero chance. You practically have to burn down the arena before they will even think about ejecting you.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I thought that the UCF coach and her players handled themselves very well at the press conference. The coach was able to call out the officials without getting herself in too much trouble. She called out the NCAA for their bracket placement of two Florida teams playing in the first Round as well as sending them to Connecticut. I had a UCF negative bias from games in the past however I thought this game was incredibly intense and aggressive but not dirty. I came away from the press conference with a better Feeling for the coach, her players certainly seem to like her and the way she coaches them to play. The results speak for themselves with the direction her program has ascended. However I think that style definitely depends on the type of officiating they get from game to game. During the interview it seemed as though she was saying officials that know them and the way they play would not have called as many fouls. While I do believe the officials were rather poor during this game I would rather see fouls called when fouls happen. I also think the UCF coach was fair to Connecticut during the interview.
Totally agree with you. If you are happy because some refs allow your team to incorporate fouling as part of your defensive game plan you should not be surprised or complain when refs call the game correctly.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I really don’t have any problem with the way UCF played, whether or not they shook UConn’s players hands after the game, or most of what Coach Abe said in the postgame presser.

The one thing that puzzled me is her objection to UCF being seeded in Storrs against UConn with another FL team. UCF doesn’t play FL in the regular season. They play in 2 completely different conferences. In addition, UCF hasn’t played UConn in 2 seasons. They are also now in 2 completely different conferences.

Her complaints about seeding were pretty much incoherent: something about, “We played UConn for 6 years” and “There were 6 FL teams in the tournament,” both of which had nothing to do with anything having a bearing on this year’s seeding and brackets.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I really don’t have any problem with the way UCF played, whether or not they shook UConn’s players hands after the game, or most of what Coach Abe said in the postgame presser.

The one thing that puzzled me is her objection to UCF being seeded in Storrs against UConn with another FL team. UCF doesn’t play FL in the regular season. They play in 2 completely different conferences. In addition, UCF hasn’t played UConn in 2 seasons. They are also now in 2 completely different conferences.

Her complaints about seeding were pretty much incoherent: something about, “We played UConn for 6 years” and “There were 6 FL teams in the tournament,” both of which had nothing to do with anything having a bearing on this year’s seeding and brackets.
I would think that after their dominant season ruling the AAC, UCF would want to take on big, bad UConn in the Big Dance. Talk about redemption... but alas.

Reaction Score
I just loved pressers. Coach G always being brutally honest, especially his take on "Toughness". Classic response. The whole thing with the reporter and his questions about flopping was interesting. I will have to watch the game again. Also I have no problem with Coach Abe and her approach to the presser. She has her style and it is working for her, and her team goes all out for her, plus the administration supports her, all the props to her and her coaching staff and her players.

The part about the refs was funny. Coach Abe talked about how officials that know UCF style of play kind of let them get away with that style of play. Okay that is all well and good but I agree with @Fossil. I get folks don't like officials and the calls they make or don't make. But I rather see an official call fouls when there are fouls and if the fouls get aggressive, you have to call it and then warn both teams that if that foolishness continues, techs will be issued.
Agree with all you say. But the refs need to be consistent. Otherwise it’s impossible to adjust.

Reaction Score
So much energy spent on the opposing coach (who cares :confused:), I am more concerned with Geno's assessment of Paige and what he expects going forward in the Tournament. (around 35' mark). He does not expect Paige to be the Paige of last year. Yes, she has great moments but he does not expect her to play at the highest level.

Hopefully, this is more psychological games but you can see that while she must feel pretty confident physically getting into the scrum for example and playing 32 minutes, she is not seeing the floor the same. The clearest example to me and something Geno said after the Mercer game is that she is not finding quick connections with the post players (not that they are helping) . I think she is most comfortable connecting with Azzi and being connected to the guards on the perimeter

Hopefully, another several days of practice can help.
I've seen some of this too. Even when she gets to 100% mentally and trusts her knee completely, she now has to make the adjustment to the adjustments coaches are making to her if you follow me. Her vision and skill level is superior to whoever she's matched up with but opposing coaches are seeing one way to neutralize it some. If you give her room to work she'll pick you clean. And that's what she's seen throughout her HS and one year college career. People played off her to avoid getting beat but IMO her one offensive flaw is the same as most of this current UConn team and that is playing through contact. Being in her face bothers her and makes her hesitate just enough to throw her out of rhythm and miss some things, pass options or shots. She's never had to but I believe she needs to tighten up her handle, get stronger in the upper body, and protect the ball better. Coaches are realizing that their best chance is not to back off her to keep from getting blown by but to get up into her and make her speed up. She's a special talent and I hope she can make this change.

Reaction Score
Not sure how I feel about her performance at the mike. While she tried to parse her words, stating that a different location and different refs would have made a difference was an excuse, no matter how articulate she was. Always referring to Geno as "he," struct me as a sign of disrespect. About half of her remarks were a commercial for how well she has done since taking over. Apart from my natural prejudice as a UConn fan, I have to give UCF credit for a strong year but don't feel this style will ever be take them far in March Madness. Too many good teams out there that rely on basketball, not physical, skills.
Well, now envision that team with an Aneesa Morrow type player falling into their laps. I could see a team like that going pretty far. I thought UCF played tough, disruptive defense and made it hard for the Huskies to get any rhythm established. Funny, I didn't take the "he's" as a sign of disrespect, I took it like they know each other pretty well from their time in the AAC. I also think, as a losing coach, she was pretty gracious. I liked her, she seemed very defensive of her team and I appreciate that (as opposed to a McCallie type). I thought the commercial, as you described it, seemed more an attempt to make her players (especially their seniors) feel like they accomplished a lot of good things in their season.

Reaction Score
Thank you all for your reports on Coach Abe and the UCF players. I have bad memories of UCF from UConn’s time in the AAC. She has certainly built up a program from scratch and her players play their hears out for her, so that’s worth a lot. Wonder if she’ll end up at a P5 school. Hopefully not in the BE!

Well, Semrau just retired and FSU has disappointed for a few years. And Finley at UF has been wearing the "interim" title all year I believe. Wonder if the pro-Florida rah rah is strategic. SEC seems to be a "big name" conference coach-wise and Abe also has a better resume than Finley -- plus she trounced her in the last round.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I know this is not going to be a popular post but IMO Geno looked exhausted. I see the UCF game as a real indication of true parity, I loved the tough play on both sides. iMO, UCF was the better defensive team tonight and UConn was by far the better offensive team. Overall the better team won. IMO, it will be tough for any team to win the NC because there are no pushovers in this tournament.
In all fairness, I'm only 33 and by the end of that close of a game with a 9:00 start time, I was exhausted. I could only imagine how I would have looked if I was expected to give a press conference.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Agreed. Both objections were pretty dumb in the sense that they simply don't register at all among the MANY things the committee considers in seeding and bracketing.

I understand she would've rather faced a different team she wasn't already so brutally familiar with (and unsuccessful against), and I considered that much a compliment coming from her. (She even said something like "no one wants to get sent here".)

As for the Florida thing, her comments indicated she's just being a "state homer" in wishing that the Florida teams didn't have to take each other out in the first round.

But yeah, the committee doesn't give a flip about either thing.

Reaction Score
She was gracious in many ways, hard to detect with her style. For example, 3-4 times she took softball questions designed to get her to complain about UConn getting beneficial calls and she specifically went out of her way to point out that both teams suffered from the ineptitude. She also ignored other baiting opportunities to badmouth. I thought well of her for that.

She's a very good coach and leader, of a style of basketball I don't happen to care for, and there's a meanness and self-centeredness and emotionality to that approach that doesn't make for likability outside their own bubble. The other team is the enemy, on an emotional level, can be part of that approach and it's tough to get your balanced humanity back in the few minutes between game and press conference.

A few of the knocks to her are unfair. As far as not mentioning Geno's name or UConn by name in the presser, Geno didn't mention her name or their team's either. As far as the lack of handshake, that happens in many games in this Covid era. In this case, UConn players spent a more than average amount of time at midcourt celebrating, and I can't blame any team for not waiting around (I understand that they might not have waited anyway).

If I were hiring a coach for that style of basketball, Coach Abe would be top of the list. like her or not. I think Geno has a problem with her about the pressing issue in that one game, but overall and over time I think he's expressed respect. She's a top notch coach IMO.

I think this is a fair reading. Grew up in the Philly area in the 60's and 70's just as the Flyers were turning the town into a hockey hotbed. The BSB were beloved everywhere within 25 miles of Billy Penn's statue -- and nowhere else. But hey, they were an expansion team built mostly with the rest of the league's rejects. If the rest of the league kept the Cournoyer's and Ratelle's and Richard's and gave you the Saleski's and Van Impe's you either figured out a different way to win or you accepted inconsequence on the ice. If the NHL (and NCAA) doesn't like the process then they can restrict it -- just like the NHL did (albeit some 30 years later). Money talked even back then and this is WBB after all -- so it's still trying to.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Both objections were pretty dumb in the sense that they simply don't register at all among the MANY things the committee considers in seeding and bracketing.

I understand she would've rather faced a different team she wasn't already so brutally familiar with (and unsuccessful against), and I considered that much a compliment coming from her. (She even said something like "no one wants to get sent here".)

As for the Florida thing, her comments indicated she's just being a "state homer" in wishing that the Florida teams didn't have to take each other out in the first round.

But yeah, the committee doesn't give a flip about either thing.
I felt the same way about Villanova getting Delaware first round in the men's bracket. They are so close in proximity, wouldn't it be more fun for the players to play someone from a different region. Other side of the story: big time bragging rights for the underdog to win a game like that. Same scenario for UCF and FLA. Old story- Georgetown never played UMD when they were both good. Feud between Thompson and Williams. Lefty?

Reaction Score

I thought that was weird too, there is a conference rule on initial placements , she was arguing that there should be a state rule too. Also, if you are not in the top 16 , you are going to be playing on somebody else's homecourt, not sure where she wanted to go.
Thought for a great year she looked kind of angry....

Reaction Score
Well, now envision that team with an Aneesa Morrow type player falling into their laps. I could see a team like that going pretty far. I thought UCF played tough, disruptive defense and made it hard for the Huskies to get any rhythm established. Funny, I didn't take the "he's" as a sign of disrespect, I took it like they know each other pretty well from their time in the AAC. I also think, as a losing coach, she was pretty gracious. I liked her, she seemed very defensive of her team and I appreciate that (as opposed to a McCallie type). I thought the commercial, as you described it, seemed more an attempt to make her players (especially their seniors) feel like they accomplished a lot of good things in their season.
I had the same reaction finding her to be positive, gracious, and highly supportive of her players. I contrast that with Kelly Graves comments after his loss.

Geno also paused before replying to a number of questions and was obviously parsing his words. I think this is just good practice on the part of a head coach and trying to balance the need to accurately respond to a question and avoiding unnecessary controversy.

The vociferous negative comments about Coach Abe on this board I think are understandable given the rivalry between the two programs.

I know that when I previously commented on Adia Barnes and the kitties of UArizona, my criticisms come as a result of the intense rivalry between the kitties of the Old Pueblo and Arizona State. I'm fully aware that these criticisms are biased, often unhinged, and directed as much to the fans as to coach Barnes.

Speaking of barnes this year without McDonald there there seems to have been a drop off.

Yesterday's game in the Old Pueblo did not seem to be reflective of a home team with a huge home crowd that was very well prepared. A coach that has fully prepared their team to play before a huge and local home crowd against a visiting team from the East Coast might have avoided a 23 to 9 deficit to open the game that seemed to cry for an intervention in the form of the time out, perhaps a different substitution pattern.

Am I off in observing that coach barnes may not have been at the same level of coaching as Coach Abe? Her team unlike the kitties came into a very hostile sold out arena and took a 6-point first quarter lead.

However having said that the post game with Barnes after the loss was very interesting and for those of you who didn't watch it might well be worth a look.

Barnes made a thoughtful and convincing argument opposing coach Abe's recommendation for neutral side games. I thought it was an interesting argument.

Reaction Score
I thought that the UCF coach and her players handled themselves very well at the press conference. The coach was able to call out the officials without getting herself in too much trouble. She called out the NCAA for their bracket placement of two Florida teams playing in the first Round as well as sending them to Connecticut. I had a UCF negative bias from games in the past however I thought this game was incredibly intense and aggressive but not dirty. I came away from the press conference with a better Feeling for the coach, her players certainly seem to like her and the way she coaches them to play. The results speak for themselves with the direction her program has ascended. However I think that style definitely depends on the type of officiating they get from game to game. During the interview it seemed as though she was saying officials that know them and the way they play would not have called as many fouls. While I do believe the officials were rather poor during this game I would rather see fouls called when fouls happen. I also think the UCF coach was fair to Connecticut during the interview.
Not dirty? What game did you watch? No to mention the games in the past conference. This style of play comes directly from the coach and I know they don’t apologize a bit about it. We let them ” rent space” in our head (UConn of course) and you can’t do that and be focused.

Reaction Score
Gonna make some comments,
1) Disagee with huskynan a little, UCF's style(?) of play isn't just the coach, its the players also, as the post game press interviews showed, no respect for UCONN, just blame the refs, and having to play at UCONN, some people just can't accept losing!
2) The UCF team is the 'oldest team' in the entire tournament, last night they played 6 seniors and 2 juniors! This was their last' best chance at beating UCONN, and they threw everything at UCONN except the kitchen sink!
3) Agee with most about the layups missed, but UCF play(?) had something to do with that, while UCF shot 50% from the foul line with no one guarding them, so it evens out!
4) Too many here are so critical, look at what happened this past weekend, Baylor, Iowa, Oklahoma, LSU, Michigan all lost on their home courts to lower seeds, UCONN won! BTW SC scored less then UCONN and also won, don't think their fans are complaining! Cause winners advance and losers go home!
5) Next week, Indiana plays 4 guards and a forward, better shooters, but not better defenders then UCF, nor are they as athletic as UCF! They like picks for 3's and dribble penetration one on one, so all UCONN needs to do is use that switch defense they used so well in the Big East tournament, and its on to the elite 8!
Prediction UCONN 85 Indiana 70

Reaction Score
UCF players last night 'was' 6 seniors and 2 juniors, so can't envision it, they're done!
As far as their coach goes, I see it totally opposite as you! Not gracious in any way, just a sore loser!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I thought that was weird too, there is a conference rule on initial placements , she was arguing that there should be a state rule too. Also, if you are not in the top 16 , you are going to be playing on somebody else's homecourt, not sure where she wanted to go.
Thought for a great year she looked kind of angry....
Coach Abe also stated twice that UCF’s RPI was 4. The first time she said it, I thought she was just complementing her team. But when she repeated it, clearly she was complaining that UCF should have been a higher seed, probably playing at home in Orlando.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom