UConn TV Question for the Cord Cutters | The Boneyard

UConn TV Question for the Cord Cutters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So I switched to Playstation Vue for the Yankees a few months ago and it's been pretty great. However, I'm fairly certain that I do not get SNY or CBS Sports Network. Are there other options besides going back to my old cable company and doubling my bill every month?

Reaction Score
Sling offers espn 3 with there $20 package. SNY games are replayed on espn 3.

Reaction Score
Not really, though CBS (local) just showed up on PlayStation Vue in New Haven which is great. So maybe CBS Sports soon? Otherwise I just use my buddy's Optimum account and sign in through a laptop for CBS Sports online. Perhaps you can find someone who would give you their PW in exchange for a beer or a hug.

Reaction Score
Yep, just noticed that CBS popped up on my Vue as well...

Reaction Score

By "Replayed on ESPN3" do you mean the games aren't broadcast live?

Reaction Score

Have a feeling UConn games would be blacked out on espn 3 option since it would be available on local TV if you had cable

Reaction Score
Unfortunately there aren't viable option for live sports for cord cutters especially HD.

Tv shows and movies are different

Reaction Score
Have a feeling UConn games would be blacked out on espn 3 option since it would be available on local TV if you had cable

ESPN 3 will show replay of games that are blacked out. Did this last year. Any game that was blacked out by live ESPN 3 would be shown via replay a couple hours later.

Reaction Score
you gotta get used to the sound of joe d'ambrosio's voice.

espn 3 replays pop up shortly after all the blacked-out sny games.

Reaction Score
So I switched to Playstation Vue for the Yankees a few months ago and it's been pretty great. However, I'm fairly certain that I do not get SNY or CBS Sports Network. Are there other options besides going back to my old cable company and doubling my bill every month?

Buy a jailbroken Amazon FireStick. It has a lot of cable channels, movies in theaters, any movie/tv show you can imagine, free PPV and any sporting event possible. Can buy them on eBay or something and it should be about $100ish.

Reaction Score
We're going with no contract cable for Nov. to April, and a 150 mile antenna for the rest of the year.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
We're going with no contract cable for Nov. to April, and a 150 mile antenna for the rest of the year.

Curious about the “150 mile antenna":

What its true range?
My "40 mile" antenna gets New Haven CPTV, but not channel 8, and I'm in Westville, 10 miles from the transmission tower. I'd actually be happy enough w/just PBS & ABC for a low one-time cost.

Still, is the 150-mile an outdoor roof mount model?
What town are you in, and what channels do you get?
What cost is antenna?

Reaction Score
Buy a jailbroken Amazon FireStick. It has a lot of cable channels, movies in theaters, any movie/tv show you can imagine, free PPV and any sporting event possible. Can buy them on eBay or something and it should be about $100ish.

Just did some googling... how is this legal?

Reaction Score
Hans, the antenna bought is a Spectrum 15. We are getting our signals from New York and New Jersey (In Monroe CT). I mounted it on the second story peak.

We're getting 40 to 50 channels during clear daytime hours, many less at night when small providers go off the air. probably half of them are SPanish or Chinese. Others cary very old shows.

Bad weather can be a problem with picselation and sound stuttering.

We do get CBS, NBC, FOX, and ION. but we aren't able to pull in any of the CT network stations ...(which sends me to the internet to get the weather reports.) This may be due to a hill to our east.

But we don't get ABC from CT or NY either ...it may be a network compliance issue.

We aren't huge TV watchers except for UConn Basketball, men and women.... so, for now 6 months of cable appears to be our only option.

Reaction Score

Watching the streams are legal. Sharing/streaming/being the source is illegal

But as I mentioned the quality is standard definition and not all the streams are reliable for live sports

TV shows and movies are different. There are HD options available

Reaction Score
Because you technically aren't downloading anything. Everything just streams so if anyone were to get in trouble it would be the people uploading the streams. I've had mine for about 6 months and it's amazing. I love movies and still support them and go to theaters but it's nice to lay in bed and watch something that came out in theaters the night before. I've never searched a movie or TV show that I haven't found. I've watched UFC fights for free. You can watch sports over seas. Every NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB game and more. I haven't had it long enough to try for UConn games but I would bet they have every single one. Usually games that aren't televised you will get the local version however at time outs and such you will watch the cheerleaders and halftime shows and such instead of commercials. You need high speed internet tho because a lot of the live sports and such can get choppy.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Hans, the antenna bought is a Spectrum 15. We are getting our signals from New York and New Jersey (In Monroe CT). I mounted it on the second story peak.

We're getting 40 to 50 channels during clear daytime hours, many less at night when small providers go off the air. probably half of them are SPanish or Chinese. Others cary very old shows.

Bad weather can be a problem with picselation and sound stuttering.

We do get CBS, NBC, FOX, and ION. but we aren't able to pull in any of the CT network stations ...(which sends me to the internet to get the weather reports.) This may be due to a hill to our east.

But we don't get ABC from CT or NY either ...it may be a network compliance issue.

We aren't huge TV watchers except for UConn Basketball, men and women.... so, for now 6 months of cable appears to be our only option.

Another Monroe-ite here. This works for you because we're at elevation. I get 2,4,5,7,9,11,13,21 OTA from NY from my attic. Most aren't as lucky.

And for @Hans Sprungfeld and you - you're having trouble with WABC and WTNH because they're VHF. check your antenna type - it's likely UHF only.

Reaction Score
Another Monroe-ite here. This works for you because we're at elevation. I get 2,4,5,7,9,11,13,21 OTA from NY from my attic. Most aren't as lucky.

And for @Hans Sprungfeld and you - you're having trouble with WABC and WTNH because they're VHF. check your antenna type - it's likely UHF only.
My antena is VHF and UHF but I don't get TNH or WABC.

We have lived here since pre-cable....when we were able to get both stations with a much lower antenna. I'm thinking of cutting more trees.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
My antena is VHF and UHF but I don't get TNH or WABC.

We have lived here since pre-cable....when we were able to get both stations with a much lower antenna. I'm thinking of cutting more trees.

It's more likely your new-fangled antenna isn't that good at VHF. Your older one was, because 2,4,5,7,9,11,13 were all VHF in the analog olden days :)

"good" VHF antennas are usually big. I get by with a big UHF antenna that also gets "hi" VHF reasonably. If you get the other networks from new york, you should get WABC.

PM me if you want help - I'm big on this stuff. :)

Reaction Score
Its not but just about everybody has one. Its better to buy one from someone you know because sometimes they need to be reprogrammed. I tried one but ditched it because the quality of films sucks most of the time and ppv lags like crazy. not worth it if you ask me.

Reaction Score
Its not but just about everybody has one. Its better to buy one from someone you know because sometimes they need to be reprogrammed. I tried one but ditched it because the quality of films sucks most of the time and ppv lags like crazy. not worth it if you ask me.

I think they are very worthwhile you just have to know which add ons to download and not to expect to have every movie that's in theatre or live sports/ppv in HD. If your expectations are realistic it's worth every penny.

I can more or less literally watch any show or movie that's ever been released to DVD in HD quality (if it exists). I can watch just about any live sporting event or ppv if I feel like dealing with the subpar quality and buffering every so often.

I wouldn't buy a fire stick though. I use the matricom g box

Reaction Score

I'd suggest saving the money and buying the fire stick directly from Amazon for $40. There's step by step tutorials online, including how to install the add ons as well. It's really easy.

Reaction Score
I'd suggest saving the money and buying the fire stick directly from Amazon for $40. There's step by step tutorials online, including how to install the add ons as well. It's really easy.
Totally agree...that's how I did mine. Just know some people would prefer to have it done for them and ready to go instead of sitting down and having to do it. Only takes about 15 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom