UConn/Tulsa game thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn/Tulsa game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Larry Coker once won a national title in football because he took over a team that had great players and great leadership. He then proceeded to roll out a worse product every year in a league that most thought his team would run. I'm watching the same thing happen here, the exact same thing, and it sucks.

Mike Davis got to the title game his 2nd year with Indiana and it all fell apart after.

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
If we could have done anything in the second half at all we win this game by 15+. Tulsa couldn't throw it in the GD ocean for the first 35 minutes of the game and we were only up 4. Put them in the bonus and they throw in a couple threes and it's over. Just awful offense again.

Purvis with his patented no-show tonight. We go as he goes and it's pretty obvious in the first 2 minutes of a game if good Purvis or Purvis showed up...

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
We were up by like 4 with 11 minutes or so left in the game but by the way we were playing I knew they were going to lose, it's just one of those teams.

There is too much talent on this roster to be losing to these types of teams. If we were in the ACC or something I wouldn't be too upset, but come on. Granted, this roster is loaded with good but one dimensional players who try to fill each other's weaknesses but it's not working, and our one multidimensional player has been terrible at the most critical games down the stretch.

This program is declining at the time we most badly need to be elite, we will never get out of this conference if our single biggest draw is no longer what made it great.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
This is worst basketball of a decade. Why no time outs. Why no driving to basket?

I was thinking more like the worst in 25 years.

Honestly, Paul Pasqualoni could've coached a better game.

Reaction Score
Hamilton and Purvis went 3-21. I know Hamilton had 14 rebounds and some assists , but we have to have them score when we have no inside game. It was disheartening to see Tulsa who is lousy beat us like this.

Reaction Score
All the more disappointing because we looked like we had the makings of a very good team this year. For whatever reason the chemistry & leadership just isn't there. Can't even beat mediocre teams in this league. We look horrible for too many long stretches of games.

Reaction Score
Brimah has to be the missing link.....it all went down hill when he got hurt....isn't that a pathetic thought

Reaction Score
Question. If we have only one player who can even attempt an inside shot, and no one who can shoot and make a midrange 2, and no one who drives in and gets to the line, what do we do other than take 30 threes?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
RayIsTheGOAT said:
I really like our offense. Especially the part where the ball handler takes the shot clock down to 5 and we shoot a 30-footer.

Fading away of course

Reaction Score
Next year Kevin Ollie needs to do something with the coaching staff. Bring Donyell Marshall with his NBA background he should be able to lore higher profile bigs and coach them better then whoever is doing a poor piss job coaching our current bigs. And also go after the recruiters from UNLV. If Kevin Ollie wants to run an "NBA" offense, 1 on 1 isolation whatever you want to call it then you have to recruit NBA talent not bench warmers or project type players.
Last year I gave Ollie a pass on coaching because his personal situation, but this year it's on his and the staff shoulders. Fouls, we foul every defensive possession what would Jimmy C do? work the reffs early not when the game is on the line. Use a time out to kill other teams momentum not ours. ugh!

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure 2014 was a mirage

People forget but the 2014 regular season was no different than this or last year. The mirage was the 6 game run in the dance.

Ollie has coached, what, close to 150 games now and this is the norm. I'm starting to suspect that JC was doing the entire game prep and scouting for that tourney run.

Reaction Score
If we were in a different conference I think I'd be questions KO's job. He's safe forever though. He needs to get rid of the nepotism and hire some real assistant coaches. He's a recruiter / motivator and should stick to that.
Ollie's the head coach. He's the one that needs to look at himself hard in the mirror. He has to dig deep and provide HIS team with the energy, strategy, and discipline needed on a sustained basis throughout the entire game. Assistant coaches matter, but the buck stops with the head coach. It's also the head coach that the players look to for guidance and support and motivation. When you sit the entire game on the bench with the same sulking face your players make when they miss a shot your part of the problem, and not part of the solution. , Brimah would be better right now coaching this team. Ollie has got to sit down with Calhoun and really dig deep before the slips away. Unfortunately we find our once elite program fighting just to avoid the NIT for the second year in a row, while this team is deep and has multiple five star recruits, including a McDonald's All-American in Purvis.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What happened to drive, get fouled, shoot ft, other team plays different in foul trouble and gets frustrated. Ollie was so proud of the ft shooting.

These guys are a joke

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I'm questioning Ollie too. But him just sucking doesn't make sense because he coached the hell out of the team his first year. The second regular season was not just like this one and last year. We made the Tourney. And we didn't squeak in.
I don't know what is going on. But Ollie has coached 3.5 years and he coached 2 of them very well. I can't believe he just got stupid. You could say he had Calhoun's players, but hestill coached them well.

Reaction Score
I'm questioning Ollie too. But him just sucking doesn't make sense because he coached the hell out of the team his first year. The second regular season was not just like this one and last year. We made the Tourney. And we didn't squeak in.
I don't know what is going on. But Ollie has coached 3.5 years and he coached 2 of them very well. I can't believe he just got stupid. You could say he had Calhoun's players, but hestill coached them well.

Shabazz and JC.

Bazz is in the pros and JC doesn't seem involved in the program anymore. Honestly maybe JC was basically coaching the first two years. Ollie obviously coached in games but maybe JC did the scouting and game prep/ plan both of which are seriously lacking the last two years.

Edit: I'm not saying Ollie sucks or can't coach at all. But people constantly point to the first year and then obviously 2014 as justification that he can, when maybe JC had a much larger part in it than we all know. He's basically been gone the last two years and look what's happened. Is that a coincidence?

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Shabazz and JC.

Bazz is in the pros and JC doesn't seem involved in the program anymore. Honestly maybe JC was basically coaching the first two years. Ollie obviously coached in games but maybe JC did the scouting and game prep/ plan both of which are seriously lacking the last two years.

Edit: I'm not saying Ollie sucks or can't coach at all. But people constantly point to the first year and then obviously 2014 as justification that he can, when maybe JC had a much larger part in it than we all know. He's basically been gone the last two years and look what's happened. Is that a coincidence?

This is a pretty gigantic conjecture to be making with no concrete evidence...

Reaction Score
I still his divorce right after Championship year has made him lose zest for basketball. Sad but it is too much of a coincidence he looks like a lifeless shell of what he was the first 2 years. He was never JC but he definitely had fire then. This team needs to feed off it since there is no RB or SN or KW on that bench to ignite it.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Shabazz and JC.

I assume you watched those games in 2014. There was an active coach making changes and out-coaching several of thr top coaches in the game. You think Ollie hd a phone connection to JC during that?

Like I said, I have no idea what is wrong. But I know Ollie used to be able to coach.

Reaction Score
I assume you watched those games in 2014. There was an active coach making changes and out-coaching several of thr top coaches in the game. You think Ollie hd a phone connection to JC during that?

Like I said, I have no idea what is wrong. But I know Ollie used to be able to coach.
I think it is pretty obvious what is wrong with KO.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I still his divorce right after Championship year has made him lose zest for basketball. Sad but it is too much of a coincidence he looks like a lifeless shell of what he was the first 2 years. He was never JC but he definitely had fire then. This team needs to feed off it since there is no RB or SN or KW on that bench to ignite it.

That is a possibility. Or this team's chemistry is a mess, Sad thing is Gibbs got on track and Hamilton went off track. Today Purvis too. I really thought the darkest days were behind us.

Reaction Score
That is a possibility. Or this team's chemistry is a mess, Sad thing is Gibbs got on track and Hamilton went off track. Today Purvis too. I really thought the darkest days were behind us.
Well since his downfall in coaching coincides with his divorce I would say it is more than a possibility. From all accounts KO is a great family family man who loves God above all else. I can only guess how this divorce has affected his outlook on life and basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom