UConn top 5 all time: CT Post | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn top 5 all time: CT Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If it really is based off of career success like writer indicates, then Shabazz has to be in the top 5. Has to be.

Top 5 in UConn history in points. Top 5 in UConn history in assists. 3rd in three pointers. Conference player of the year(in a conference with two other first team All-Americans. First team all Big East. Only player in the history of the program with multiple triple doubles. Only player with 1500 points, 500 assists, 500 rebounds, and 250 steals. Cousy award winner. Husky of Honor.

And that's not even mentioning the two National Championships.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Brimah grabbed a Shabazz missed shot and got a 3 point play, if not for Brimah's rebound, Shabazz final legacy is losing to St Joes in his last game.

But he did, so your point is pointless.

Reaction Score
Brimah grabbed a Shabazz missed shot and got a 3 point play, if not for Brimah's rebound, Shabazz final legacy is losing to St Joes in his last game.
That kid from Arizona missed a shot by inches which would have affected Kemba (Bazz and other's legacy). We could go on and on. Every Champion has a story within a story. Typically only the losing team/fans remembers or brings up the lucky/good fortune parts. Surprised you did here.

Anyway UConn (like Jordan) simply wins Championships, the in-game details are unimportant and certainly not imprinted on the ring or the Trophy.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I think Ray, Rip, Emeka and Kemba have to be locks on any list. The fifth could be any number of guys but I will go with Bazz too, like the Post did, because Bazz was our best player on a championship team. That's gotta count enough to tip the scale his way.

Reaction Score
That kid from Arizona missed a shot by inches which would have affected Kemba (Bazz and other's legacy). We could go on and on. Every Champion has a story within a story. Typically only the losing team/fans remembers or brings up the lucky/good fortune parts. Surprised you did here.

Anyway UConn (like Jordan) simply wins Championships, the in-game details are unimportant and certainly not imprinted on the ring or the Trophy.

Thats what I'm saying I wasn't trying to take a shot at Shabazz just saying you can nit pick anyones career.

Reaction Score
But he did, so your point is pointless.

I wasn't trying to make a point I was responding to what someone said about Donyell and Ray.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
If it wasn't for Dougie McBuckets, wouldn't Bazz have won the wooden award.... He's def top 5 in my book. Plus, he stuck it to the NCAA at the end, that has to count for something.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I hear you. But two titles v bricking a pair of FTs in the E8 will drop you down.

I think that was in the Sweet 16. It was in the next season that we got knocked out in the Elite 8 by UCLA.

Reaction Score
joober jones said:
I think that was in the Sweet 16. It was in the next season that we got knocked out in the Elite 8 by UCLA.

My bad. Too much scotch between them and now. But the point remains.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Bazz, Kemba, Emeka, Rip, Donyell.

As great as Ray was at UConn, I would put him #5 behind the 4 NC MVP/MOP's. I could make a case for either Ray or Donyell at #5. Ray has become the face of the program and that is no small thing, but Donyell's career (minus 2 FTs) was probably more dominant. Ray's NBA career certainly elevated his legend a lot further after leaving UConn. Rip, Emeka, Kemba, and Shabazz took their teams to the promised land, just amazingly clutch performers.

Reaction Score
If it wasn't for Dougie McBuckets, wouldn't Bazz have won the wooden award.... He's def top 5 in my book. Plus, he stuck it to the NCAA at the end, that has to count for something.

It's impossible to truly know this, but my guess would be that Parker was next in line. He was a unanimous first-teamer, which Bazz wasn't.

Reaction Score
As great as Ray was at UConn, I would put him #5 behind the 4 NC MVP/MOP's. I could make a case for either Ray or Donyell at #5. Ray has become the face of the program and that is no small thing, but Donyell's career (minus 2 FTs) was probably more dominant. Ray's NBA career certainly elevated his legend a lot further after leaving UConn. Rip, Emeka, Kemba, and Shabazz took their teams to the promised land, just amazingly clutch performers.

So many great players, especially in the Calhoun era, I guess we do realize what a special program this turned out to be. I didn't read the article and by no means would I argue for any others but again this thread has no discussion of players prior to JC's teams. While there probably isn't anyone who would jump in only because of the success and status these guys acheieved most recently, but there were some very good if nor great players way back in the day also.

Reaction Score
So many great players, especially in the Calhoun era, I guess we do realize what a special program this turned out to be. I didn't read the article and by no means would I argue for any others but again this thread has no discussion of players prior to JC's teams. While there probably isn't anyone who would jump in only because of the success and status these guys acheieved most recently, but there were some very good if nor great players way back in the day also.

Very good point Mau, JC era and before college basketball players played for 4 years. Nowadays good players stay for two max. It could be argued that Chris, Ray, Toby and others did their thing against more experienced (better?) players.

For example Senior Bazz beat a freshman laden guard team. uk guards didn't have a chance. Not Bazz' fault, just an observation.

Ewing, Mullins, Pearl, Sherman Douglas, Pinkston, Wallace, etc. were 3 year minimum players. Ray excelled and so did Chris, Nadav and others. I can't even define the product out there nowadays but it certainly isn't an experienced/seasoned product.

Kemba and Bazz did their damage during post season tournaments, an astounding achievement. Some of the others not named led us to BE Championships (Tourney/Season) which some of those named did not do. I'm glad you made note of this because we should never forget those that were 'equally' as great but not enough room at the top.

We are so fortunate and JC's Charity games prove why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom