UConn to the NBE? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn to the NBE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No, they wouldn't. There isn't a fanbase in the country that's as fractured as UCONN's. We have football only fans. We have men's BB only fans. We have women's BB only fans. We even seem to have baseball only fans, although that fanbase seems far more limited than the other three. I can think of no other school that has various factions of its general fanbase actually rooting for other sports at the same school to fail. The only segment of the fanbase that seems commited to seeing ALL Husky teams do well are many of the alumni. You would think that might be enough to diminish all the other subfactions comprised mostly of non-alums, but for some unknown reason it doesn't seem to.

Most normal college fanbases in the country root for all the teams their favorite school puts on the fields or courts. I have actually had conversations with men's BB fans at UCONN who resent the success of the women's program because they think it detracts attention from the men's program. They also, like many in this thread, can't understand why UCONN even bothers to field a football team. Of course, these folks tend to be non-UCONN alums. The women's BB fans at UCONN are good people, but they only care about women's sports in general through their fandom with the UCONN women. Most of them have no clue what's going on with men's BB and football, or any other sports at UCONN, even other women's sports, unless they are successful. They are typically elderly males and females, disproportionately, compared with the other fractured fanbases. Men's BB fans are generally much younger and more likely to be UCONN alums, including many recent grads. The football fanbase seems to be a cross section of many groups...alums and their families, non-alums and their families, across many age brackets.

We have the craziest collective fanbase in the country. Other big land grant flagship universities don't have to deal with this. Yes, they may have certain groups of fans that prefer men's or women's sports, or prefer football over all other sports, but they aren't openly antagonistic toward the other sports programs like many narrowly focused Husky fans seem to be. Being the AD at UCONN is a daunting task. I wouldn't wish the job on anybody. Keeping all these disparate, narrow based fan factions happy must be a continuing nightmare. None of it helps UCONN while attempting to find a P5 league, because your average P5 league members don't generally have factions of fans constantly at war with each other.

How could you make a post about our fractured fanbase and not mention the fact that some fans insist on misspelling “UConn” as “UCONN”? It’s the only thing I find unforgivable.

I kid, I kid...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
An indication the story might be false is that UConn fans don't take the bus to MSG. It's the train or walk...from the train.

Reaction Score
Not saying the article is true but go look at his followers. Very credible people who follow him on twitter.

Since last night... @ midnight last night many weren't there. He picked up a couple of hundred followers overnight.

Reaction Score
Since last night... @ midnight last night they weren't there. He picked up a couple of hundred followers overnight.
My point is why wouldn’t you drop an click bait article when everyone is up retweeting, liking, following, etc?

Reaction Score
My point is why wouldn’t you drop an click bait article when everyone is up retweeting, liking, following, etc?

Look @ the legs it got last night... it also allows him to say "Officials for the college conferences could not comment on the story and a message left for UConn athletics was not returned at press time." unchallenged.

Hey...he could be 100% correct in the end but something has my spidey sense awry that there are pieces missing.

Reaction Score
I know I'll get crucified for this thread, but just passing along something I heard today, because it came from a very credible source. Largest private donor at Providence, directly involved in their athletic department and knows Tranghese well (who he says UConn hired as a consultant at some point) says he's 95%+ sure that UConn will be joining the NBE in 2021. Says the school gave Herbst the authority to do it on her way out the door, football will be killed so the next President doesn't have to deal with it and we'll move to the NBE. I couldn't believe it as I've heard nothing as specific about it, but this is a credible, connected guy.

All pile on now....

Congrats on being the first to break the story. Your source was spot on.

Reaction Score
Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein 19 minutes ago
Sources: Contrary to reports, there is nothing official between UConn and the Big East. Big East has yet to have an official vote as to whether or not to extend an invitation to the Huskies. If an invitation is extended, UConn's Board of Trustees would have to vote to approve.

B12

Reaction Score
If true congrats on a great move IMO. Watching universities blow money on football does not always make sense. This is one of those situations. Focusing on more regional games with teams your fans care about will be a good move. The AAC is a good conference but just not a great fit for UConn.

Pretty much the entire g-5 should consider this or forming a new division between FCS and FBS for AD's who have budgets in the 20 - 50 million range. Especially the MAC who has a few thousand fans at games and has to buy 10k tickets to meet requirements.

So any thoughts on who #12 might be? Wichita St, BYU, Temple, VCU, Liberty, ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom