UConn to create master plan for Storrs Campus | The Boneyard

UConn to create master plan for Storrs Campus

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
LINKY

Generally positive. There should be an overall master plan so that development is part of a unified vision, rather than narrowly focusing on each new project. I didn't love this quote though:
Another area she wants to protect is Horsebarn Hill. "My husband and I walk up to Horsebarn Hill. We love that and we love that view," Cruickshank said.
Well Ms. Cruickshank, if that is your real name, imagine how much nicer that view would be at the top of new 60k stadium.

[Disclaimer: I like the Rent and I know that we are not building in a new stadium in the foreseeable future]

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Never too soon to consider what we should do after the Rent. But in order for an on campus stadium to work, the road network leading into Storrs needs to be reshaped and that can't happen over football alone.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Actually, this is the perfect opportunity to talk about bringing the stadium back to campus. These master plans take years to incorporate and if part of the master plan is to put a football stadium on campus in 2040 or 2045 then it should be on there and the university should take the steps necessary to plan for it. I for one plan on writing to Uconn about how this should be part of the master plan.

If there is a new 12k seat Gampel and a new Hockey Arena we will have to fix the traffic issue anyways. Now is the time to (while expensive) build a direct route from the high way that is 5 lanes that is two in, two out, one that can change either way on game days. I presented a master plan for putting the football stadium on campus a while ago on the boneyard and if I can find it I'll put it in this thread.

Also with the addition of the research park I would love to see us revisit the Fairfield inn talks. The university still needs 2 or 3 more shopping areas that include places like a Walmart, staples, movie theatre (even if it's just two screens) etc. Would also love to see new houses (not apartments, like a nicer neighborhood) in the area that can attract quality faculty and staff. That was the purpose of the oaks but normal quality housing has such a demand in the storrs area that students snatched them up extremely quickly. If this master plan is done correctly, Storrs could develop into quite the college town. The equvalent of Athens, Ga

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
So for the uninformed, what is the relative cost of widening 195? We're talking about purchasing portions of real estate from residents and businesses on almost 7 miles of road, correct? Seems to me that in itself would be an enormous sum of money. And does eminent domain apply?

Reaction Score
What's this new "hockey" arena?

Shouldn't the new arena be hoops and hockey? Has anyone see the rust on Gampel's roof lately? Or the new state of the art arena's on campuses like Maryland, Ohio State, and Penn State?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think this is the second or third such "master plan" just since I graduated in '88. She seems to have some good ideas, and they are certainly paying her enough for them. I think most of the earlier fixes were simple, like walkways to avoid the spring mud pit between the original co-op and Monteith/Arjona. Something called "Oak Hall" is on that mud pit now.

Something making more of an announcement (on 195 near Towers perhaps) as you arrive would be welcome. Almost all the open space on campus for expansion is on the north side. Need better infrastructure to drive science (non teaching) employment near campus, which will drive local residential, which will shape Storrs into a better college town.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
huskypantz said:
So for the uninformed, what is the relative cost of widening 195? We're talking about purchasing portions of real estate from residents and businesses on almost 7 miles of road, correct? Seems to me that in itself would be an enormous sum of money. And does eminent domain apply?

Ballpark of $100M to accommodate the 15k cars on a gameday.

Eminent Domain would apply, but you would still have to pay appraised market value.

The issue (obstacle) would be the local opposition using every available means to block it under the NEPA laws regarding gov't funded projects. Think Keystone pipeline or the Rte 6 expressway or the I-291 loop.

It would eventually get built because the non-FB benefits to the state would be too high, but it wouldn't happen quickly.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
HuskyHawk said:
I think this is the second or third such "master plan" just since I graduated in '88. She seems to have some good ideas, and they are certainly paying her enough for them. I think most of the earlier fixes were simple, like walkways to avoid the spring mud pit between the original co-op and Monteith/Arjona. Something called "Oak Hall" is on that mud pit now.

Something making more of an announcement (on 195 near Towers perhaps) as you arrive would be welcome. Almost all the open space on campus for expansion is on the north side. Need better infrastructure to drive science (non teaching) employment near campus, which will drive local residential, which will shape Storrs into a better college town.

Everything stated today is small potatoes, though she has it correct about previous planning at UConn where even long term plans were shortsighted to the immediate desires. Her statements are only visionary by comparison.

Storrs has a lot of problems as a campus layout caused mostly by its lack of a full build out plan and local opposition who insist they live in a farm town.

To start, there are 4 major roads that bound the campus area, 44, 195, 275, and 32. This should be the university zone and the State should prioritize the needs of the Univ within this zone. HBH side of 195 should be repurposed back to commercial and residental use. Preserve HBH or use it for a stadium, either is fine.

The single most important aspect of the campus planning process should be to consolidate the non-motorized campus, provide adequate service network for the buildings and push parking to the outskirts. You will need to demo a few buildings to get the "feel" she is proposing. On a scale of 1-10, I see this as a 2 for it actually happening correctly.

The new plan is needed because the old one (UCONN 2000) is completed by the tech park.

Reaction Score
What's this new "hockey" arena?

Shouldn't the new arena be hoops and hockey? Has anyone see the rust on Gampel's roof lately? Or the new state of the art arena's on campuses like Maryland, Ohio State, and Penn State?

It really shouldn't be combined hockey-basketball. That's a mistake for many reasons, but the most compelling of which is that it will make even a successful UConn hockey team look small time.

The attendance for hockey will never match the attendance for basketball, and even a Top 10 hockey crowd (which, BTW, right now in order to be the #10 best attended college hockey program, would require about 5350 people) will look sparse in a building built for the needs of basketball.

Hockey will look small time, even with a big time crowd, in a half-empty building. Ohio State draws over 4000 a game, big numbers for college hockey...and they do it in an arena four times the capacity that regularly sells out for hoops. Nebraska-Omaha draws consistently in the top 5 of college hockey attendance...and they're outdone by a factor of 2:1 by Creighton basketball in the same arena.

And when I say this, I say this on the basis of prior knowledge that 3000 for college hockey is "good", and 6000 is what the top-flight teams are drawing. Putting UConn hockey into an arena sized for UConn basketball will make us look small time when we can only fill it between a quarter and halfway.

That, in any event, why the current plan, as demonstrated in our pitch to Hockey East, is to put an arena in the neighborhood of 4-5K on the current footprint of Frietas.

Reaction Score
My take is they need separate buildings. Men's and women's games in both sports would make the changeover problematic as well as the hockey programs needing practice time ice unless they are leaving the old rink up.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
this is what i had posted in this thread on the football board a while ago: http://www.the-boneyard.com/threads/the-on-campus-stadium-debate.40379/page-2

"
i think the Storrs Center project shows that locals and the University can agree enough to get something done (although I understand building a football stadium is different than a downtown). Having an oncampus stadium with no amenities is an awful idea, but why have people not thought about this as an idea?

1. Build the stadium on horsebarn hill
2. Create an alternate entrance to UConn/The stadium via the area behind the hill. Have the exit be specifically for UConn/The football stadium. Having two exits off the highway helps alleviate traffic on the way in.
3. Extend "W" lot (near the greek village) and open it up to season ticket holders as a parking option on saturdays in the fall, use it as general parking the rest of the year.
4. continue to build larger parking lots that can accommodate a large number of people. there is an abundant need for parking in Storrs, and building these parking lots helps to solve that problem. build them all around different parts of the campus so that there are essentially three entrances instead of one. I believe UConn also recently purchased Farmer Brown's property, which should help current students park.
5. Have the UConn busses run constantly from these parking lots to the stadium every 10/15 minutes starting three hours or so before the game. Fans can utilize these busses to go to the downtown Storrs Center or get to the stadium early and watch warmups. This way you don't have the congestion in the middle of campus with cars but people can easily access the area by foot and by bus. As far as I know there are already 4 entrances to the campus, and this would be the best option as trying to have people park and drive through the middle of campus would be hectic and would not work.

Problems regarding the stadium being on campus:

1. There ABSOLUTELY needs to be a hotel in or near enough to Storrs for the opposing teams to stay in. This actually needs to happen asap irregardless of the football stadium situation. Offering the Nathan Hale Inn just isn't going to work. Doesn't need to be an over the top nice place, a simple Holiday Inn with 500 or so rooms would do just fine.

2. The transportation issue is tough yes, but if you're building a 32,000 seat stadium (what the stadium capacity was going to be had we built it in Storrs the first go round) and you're more than likely getting anywhere from 20-28k per game depending on the opponent, its not impossible to get around by using the parking lot/bus idea. People have found ways to get many more humans into more difficult areas.

3. This stadium couldn't/wouldn't be built for at least another 20 years. Nobody is going to just "give up" on the Rent after 10/15 years. Once its time to talk about renovations and expanding, then it makes sense to look into an on-campus option.

4. It's a political death trap for anyone in office who brings it up. It is truly a shame however that with the billions of dollars being pumped into UConn some of that couldn't be used for an on campus stadium.

One other thing that bothers me is when people say we need to "build a fan base". Does nobody understand that you don't build a fan base through 45/50 year olds? While the university should continue to market to them and do everything in their power to have them bring their families to game, a fan base should be built through connecting with the current students who are on the campus, creating jobs/living situations that are attractive to current students near the campus (have any of you seen the current housing situation in and around Storrs? There needs to be some life pumped into a lot of these properties badly) and making the games affordable to the recent/young graduates so they keep coming and ultimately bring their families to the games one day. The problem with putting the games in Hartford for football and basketball is that while it may give you some money now it doesn't maximize your capital in the long run because you don't get as many students (potential buyers) involved not only financially but emotionally. I've been at UConn for two years now and I've never been to a game at XL Center, and I probably won't venture down there in my last two years either. Bussing students to games is a joke. Nobody wants to get on a yellow schoolbus and ride with strangers 35 minutes to the stadium and watch UConn/Buffalo dead sober (can't wait to see the student crowd for UConn/Memphis in December).

One last point and I'm done- moving start times back from 12 pm would help with traffic a lot. Playing games at 1,2,3:30 means people arrive at different times, and not all at once. I know the start times have a lot to do with TV contracts but those can easily be negotiated as Networks like SNY need programing like UConn football. If you don't come to a 2 or 3:30 kickoff in Storrs because you're "worried about the traffic" then in my opinion you're just lazy and making excuses. Especially now that the new Storrs Center is being developed downtown there are plenty of things to do throughout the day to make UConn football a special event."

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
If 10k Gampel causes as much trouble as it does already, a 50k+ stadium would require 195 to have at least 2 lanes on each side. And a massive parking lot. 32 and 44 would also turn in to total nightmares without some expansion, since everyone will be trying to avoid 195 traffic. We're actually pretty lucky UConn is only ~15 minutes from 84 and can easily be accessed from several highways/directions.

They better not take down Horsebarn. Just clear out more room by the Storrs Center if this is really ever going to happen.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I understand the power of having a stadium on campus, in order to leverage the student population. I'm not sure how the bus situation currently works from Storrs to East Hartford, but I'm imagining that it is adequate to get students to the games. The real key to our growth, in my humble and less than knowledgeable opinion, is to leverage the more populated areas of our state. Namely, Greater Hartford, New Haven, Waterbury, New London, Bridgeport, Danbury, and Stamford areas.

You'll notice a trend. All of the locations that I just named (with the possible exception of New London) are closer to East Hartford than to Storrs. If we have ANY ideas whatsoever in getting into a P5 conference and filling up a stadium with more than 40k people, it is going to have to be in the current location. I-84, I-91, Rt. 2, Rt. 44, Rt. 5, etc., all lead to East Hartford. Easy in, easy out (comparatively speaking).

So leave Horsebarn Hill alone and keep football at Rentschler Field...

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
I'm not sure how the bus situation currently works from Storrs to East Hartford, but I'm imagining that it is adequate to get students to the games.
Student form 08-12 here. Certainly adequate in that it gets you from point A to B, although the ticket system is fairly annoying. I remember having to buy tickets way ahead of time so they could figure out how many buses would be needed. There's no real reason to bring the stadium to campus, other than added convenience for students. Much like the Rent already, it wouldn't be needed or used for anything else, other than soccer games, but we're closer to a new soccer stadium than football stadium anyway. Gampel does just fine for concerts. I imagine with some B1G money and some tweaking of the system, the transportation could be improved. If we become the kind of program that deserves and can fund a 60k stadium, we should have the money to have a set amount of buses every game (eliminating the ticket hassle), running all afternoon before the game (to help with meeting up for tailgating, another issue I remember having), maybe even making it a free ride. They're just school buses after all and we don't really need an upgrade there.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

Depending on how "easy" it is to extend 384 through Bolton up to the Depot, that's not a bad idea. It certainly beats trying to cram it onto the main area of the campus, and 384 is a nice drive throughout. Cool idea...

Reaction Score
Mr. Wonderful said:
The Depot Campus/Prison should be leveled. Its the perfect spot for a stadium. Just extend 384 the extra 15 miles to 32. So easy.

I have been saying that since I stepped foot on campus a decade ago. Could you imagine the tailgating up and down Huntington lodge road on your walk to the game from campus?

You have access from 32 for those coming from Willimantic area. 44 for those coming from north of campus and Rhode island. And 384 for everyone else. If you extend 44 to double its size now it would alleviate a lot of the traffic issues.

Depot campus has always been my dream for the next stadium if it were to ever be on campus.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
New football and basketball arenas are not even close to being on the table.

It does look good...God, could you imagine the price tag, though?

Reaction Score
I have been saying that since I stepped foot on campus a decade ago. Could you imagine the tailgating up and down Huntington lodge road on your walk to the game from campus?

You have access from 32 for those coming from Willimantic area. 44 for those coming from north of campus and Rhode island. And 384 for everyone else. If you extend 44 to double its size now it would alleviate a lot of the traffic issues.

Depot campus has always been my dream for the next stadium if it were to ever be on campus.

yea, i also thought they could use depot campus, but i don't know if they would ever put the stadium next mansfield correctional center...even though it is only low security prison.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I don't remember the depot campus being close enough to walk to from campus. I could be wrong as I usually took 195 out and not 32 when getting out of Storrs. If the depot campus is not close enough to walk to from main campus there's no point building a stadium there. The only reason to consider an on-campus stadium is to get the students more involved instead of needing to take a 30-40 minute bus ride. The whole thing is a pipe dream but it's fun to play SimCity with the campus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom