Uconn to #1 Watch | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Uconn to #1 Watch

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Read a little further @Tonyc. I don't have OSU as #2. I actually have OSU as #8 in my current Boneyard Poll and UCONN #9. How you or anyone can justify UCONN as #2, ahead of other teams like Stanford, Louisville, Oregon, etc. is beyond me.
Its easy I look at their roster and core 4 and they are better then most teams. Plus they have the best coaching staff in WCBB.

Reaction Score
Mondays AP and Tuesday's Coaches Polls should be interesting to say the least. The results from yesterdays games/upsets should make a voter actually take a few more minutes to do their rankings...instead of just mailing them in.

The only thing I can agree on is Stanford will become the new #1. IMO, I do not see Oregon and Baylor drop further down than maybe #3/#4. I would not be surprised if UConn actually drops to #5 or lower based on this massive shuffle.

DISCLAIMER: Remember everyone has an opinion, mine is just as good as the next one.
I agree with every thing except the last sentence for 2 reason: 1. Obviously, MY opinion is the one that counts.
2. No need to advertise it is ONLY your opinion we all knew that. We didn't see EXPERT under your site ID.

Reaction Score
To me it shows when a game is on the line, from top teams, the bench becomes thinner and shorter. Geno is not alone on this.
Even in CYO basketball in crunch time you stay with those you trust. It is tough on the nerves to put the end of the bench in when the game is on the line. Geno's greatest asset is" He selects better than most and he motivate (in crunch time) better than most.

Reaction Score
And what satisfaction does it provide that you might argue UCONN is #1, 4 or 14? Does that change the team? Does that activate Westbrook? We will know how good this team is in March. Not by some artificial statistic of " ranking." Unless you are heavily betting in Vegas, on where UCONN will be ranked this week...please spare us. We don't care. The team is better off flying under the radar ( which won't happen) anyway. Please give us your ideas on the players, the approach, the strategy, something about how the team is playing basketball.....anything but meaningless " ranking" positions. It is a waste of space, and signifies nothing.
Flying under the Radar won't happen. Probably. I think many coaches saw the first 4 games Uconn played and said " we can beat them" forgetting or hoping the Geno factor won't set in.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
How many times has UConn earned the No. 1 ranking for at least one week during a season? Has any team (Tennessee?) had more individual years ranked No. 1? How many consecutive years has UConn been ranked No. 1 at some point in the season? Which team has been ranked No. 1 the most weeks?

No one is more qualified than the Boneyard faithful to answer these questions.

Reaction Score
I like staying at around #4. We really haven't been tested yet. Having said that, I love our Huskies and I know they will continue to improve and move up............just not yet.

Reaction Score
I personally don't like this mentality. UConn hasn't played anyone notable yet, and I dare say that's probably a good thing because frankly the team has not looked ready to take on top 10 teams. I don't see anything worth celebrating in sneaking through the backdoor into a paper #1 ranking just because other teams have played and lost to teams *much* better than anyone UConn has faced yet.

Gotta agree; to quick to get giddy. We need everybody well and a good outing against a quality team.

Reaction Score
Read a little further @Tonyc. I don't have OSU as #2. I actually have OSU as #8 in my current Boneyard Poll and UCONN #9. How you or anyone can justify UCONN as #2, ahead of other teams like Stanford, Louisville, Oregon, etc. is beyond me.

I thought I was being stingy by leaving UConn at #6. Glad to know I’m not the only one with them not in my top 5.

Reaction Score
I honestly don't have any idea who the best team in the county is at the moment. On paper, I would suggest that Oregon and Baylor look to be the teams to beat. Stanford and Oregon State continue undefeated and have played some "for real" teams. I don't think UConn's resume justifies them moving up the rankings to any degree as of this time.

However, I do think that by March UConn could be very dangerous during the tournament if the team continues to improve as expected. Things aren't coming super easy for them and they will be battle tested. As such, they may actually be in a better place mentally than some recent UConn teams that went into the tournament with great expectations and came up a little bit short, looking out of sorts in close games.

Reaction Score
And what satisfaction does it provide that you might argue UCONN is #1, 4 or 14? Does that change the team? Does that activate Westbrook? We will know how good this team is in March. Not by some artificial statistic of " ranking." Unless you are heavily betting in Vegas, on where UCONN will be ranked this week...please spare us. We don't care. The team is better off flying under the radar ( which won't happen) anyway. Please give us your ideas on the players, the approach, the strategy, something about how the team is playing basketball.....anything but meaningless " ranking" positions. It is a waste of space, and signifies nothing.

True the poll signifies nothing but does give fans a general idea of what is going on in wbb world. It’s fun to talk about and argue about but that’s it. Some people take it too seriously. It only counts in the end of March.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
These things never make sense to me...
Why Does Baylor drop 5 positions after losing to a relatively evenly ranked team, but Oregon only drops 2 positions after losing to a team ranked even lower than all of them? Where is the logic?
And don't tell me it's because Cox is injured. Because if Baylor won the game against SC they would have been moved to #1 even with Cox being injured... And if you can move Louiville up to 2 from 8 after beating the number 1 team, why not move SC to 3 after beating the #2 team?

Reaction Score
Two homers gave UConn the #1 spot. I like UConn just where they are.

Reaction Score
Why Does Baylor drop 5 positions after losing to a relatively evenly ranked team, but Oregon only drops 2 positions after losing to a team ranked even lower than all of them? Where is the logic?
And don't tell me it's because Cox is injured. Because if Baylor won the game against SC they would have been moved to #1 even with Cox being injured... And if you can move Louiville up to 2 from 8 after beating the number 1 team, why not move SC to 3 after beating the #2 team?

The voice of reason, as you said to start with...These things never make sense to me...or anyone else for that matter.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I would like to know who in the heck voted for ND to be ranked in the top 25? They must graduates of the Golden Domers.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
New AP rankings

I guess it's not "Oregon then everybody else" anymore.
1575315004822.png

Reaction Score
Only 5 pts difference between Oregon and UConn ..

Reaction Score

The current poll looks about right to me. Louisville's lofty rank is deserved at this time as it rewards their impressive win over the former consensus #1 and possibly corrects for a under-valued ranking. I didn't think Oregon would drop below 3 or 4 with the loss. So Carolina was #5 in the last pole, but we forget they also lost their first game just prior to taking down Baylor, so that would stymie any rise in the new poll. If they were still unbeaten, I would expect them to be 3 or 4. Oregon State has been playing some of the best ball of late and should rise as they have. UConn stands pat as they should.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom