UConn-TN: ESPN Fanning the Flames | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn-TN: ESPN Fanning the Flames

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wish just once that when Voepel writes about the feud she doesn't just gloss over the charges of cheating. It's the basis for 90% of the hatred. She always mentions the accusations and then stops. How about coming out and saying that Pat had no evidence instead of always just repeating that "Geno knows". Voepel is just another Summitt worshiper and should stick to subjects to which she isn't emotionally involved.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Great trip down memory lane

View attachment 48546
Later in the month, it would be reported that Tennessee made a complaint to the SEC about UConn's recruiting tactics.

Would have like to have them acknowledge that the bulk of the complaints was nonsense and BS i.e., french fries, fan signs and phantom rides from players who actually on the other side of the planet. The only charge from the massive complaint? Secondary violation for UConn staff member calling ESPN to arrange for Maya to take a tour that was available to the general public.

Reaction Score
I hope Geno runs up the score & embarrasses UT in front of a national audience. The man took a lot of false heat & deserved none of it. And, he cant really defend himself with Pat gone. The Westbrook situation made it personal again...

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I wish just once that when Voepel writes about the feud she doesn't just gloss over the charges of cheating. It's the basis for 90% of the hatred. She always mentions the accusations and then stops. How about coming out and saying that Pat had no evidence instead of always just repeating that "Geno knows". Voepel is just another Summitt worshiper and should stick to subjects to which she isn't emotionally involved.

We hated TN a looooooong time before that. Like more than a decade.

Reaction Score
I understand your point M but I think it helps people who did go through it to gain a different perspective.

For example: even when I started college in '56, there was mistrust of (many) things German.
My parents would never have considered purchasing a Volkswagen: great musical artists had to go through hoops to get a visa...Furtwangler, Schwarzkopf et al... and then when they did...demonstrations prevented their appearances.

i clearly remember Fall, '56 in a contemporary civilization class at Queens College, my eminent
professor exclaimed that German Culture and society would never reemerge from the dark ages
that they found themselves in right after the war...!5 years later Japan and Germany were threatening to take over the world. i distinctly recall (but cannot locate) a James Reston(?) column written from the US perspective..."then we have failed," was the moto.

Of course now, few people, even Jews, have much feeling about the holocaust... when the MET opera presented a very Nazi-themed Hansel and Gretel 8 or 10 years ago, no one seemed to notice (except me) and I couldn't get anyone to "faites attention;" not the NY Times, the anti def league," no one.

Seems to me if the holocaust can slip back into the unconscious, then the UConn/UTenn unpleasantness can do as well
It's just a handful of folks here that are carrying the torch. Most people don't care. I think it was over the recruitment of Maya, and she doesn't even play basketball anymore. For the talking heads, I echo the sentiment that it would be great to stop throwing out the cheating accusations without adding color to fully address it. They could also explore which program has been sanctioned by the NCAA the most. The narrative that Summitt was a saint and thou shalt not speak ill of the dead is unfair to the still living and aggrieved parties.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I offer this caveat...I wasn't there.
But give me a break
This "affair" has been over for years
Pat is dead and was certainly already ill when the worst of it took place
and persecution and paranoidal thoughts are classic symptoms of the disease

Yes, the AD and others supported her...look around these day. Certainly no one can be accused of supporting lunacy can they? Only zealous fans of UTenn?

"Defense" says Geno was pressured...Poor thing, Anyone remember Geno bending to "pressure Lately"?

Everyone loves and admires Tony, but in this case he is dead wrong.
And I do believe that there are UTenn fans with "hate in their heart":( So what?
But observe some of the posts above.

And certainly, no one can blame Kellie Harper nor any members of the current team. (She seems quite charming yet tough as nails)...good on her if she can round that royal mess into shape.

So what are we left with...a bunch of fan type haters on dueling boards and ESPN doing their best to rile them up...Don't fall for it!

Get over it (the expression of the year)...even Geno did and he was the aggrieved party.

Play Ball!
Considering Geno is on record as saying he wasn’t “for” the game to happen, and yet the game is happening, I would say he was pressured by someone somewhere to agree to play this game. So I stand by my comment.
We can forgive but we must never forget. I am in full support of TonyC grievance about the harassment that occurred to him and his continued irritation at that program. He is allowed his view and no one should deny him that.
Just like your opinion, it is allowed and should be encouraged to be given. However when you start the opinion with “give me a break” it is a disrespectful manner to those who you want “a break from”. If you Don’t like my or TonyC’s views, fine, just be more polite about saying so, no need to be dismissive.
Respectfully submitted
DefenseBB

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Later in the month, it would be reported that Tennessee made a complaint to the SEC about UConn's recruiting tactics.

Would have like to have them acknowledge that the bulk of the complaints was nonsense and BS i.e., french fries, fan signs and phantom rides from players who actually on the other side of the planet. The only charge from the massive complaint? Secondary violation for UConn staff member calling ESPN to arrange for Maya to take a tour that was available to the general public.
The ESPN tour was self-reported. The Tenn/SEC complaint produced zippo in actual charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom