UConn-TN: ESPN Fanning the Flames

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Great trip down memory lane

1574709275367.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Forgive me but wasn't the Randal/Svet tussle during the 1999 game? The 2000 game in Connecticut was one of the best of the series and came after UT lost at home to UConn. I seem to think the infamous "Boo" nickname came after a scuffle in 1999

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Forgive me but wasn't the Randal/Svet tussle during the 1999 game? The 2000 game in Connecticut was one of the best of the series and came after UT lost at home to UConn. I seem to think the infamous "Boo" nickname came after a scuffle in 1999

Pretty sure it was 99.

Best game of the series IMO was the 2001 game at Tennessee. Played at an extremely high level and the first time DT really torched Tennessee.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Agreeing to play them was one of the stupidest mistakes of all time. There’s just nothing to gain from it.
I’m guessing that Geno has a wider view. Rivalries are good fun and without ND or even Rutgers in a conference schedule, neither the AAC nor BE have many real rivals for us.

Reaction Score
Should Tenn come up here in January and beat us, it will really fuel the
rivalry. Game is at the XL Center. The game will be good for WBB.

Tenn is moving in a positive direction so far with new coach. I have
watched them play twice and they have a different look with the new
coach.

I'm waiting for Margo to show up and let us know whats what.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well most of you know how I feel about playing Tenn. This game is a mistake. Those of you who think not how bout joining the Summitt board at Tenn which is a pay for board and you will understand. I wont go into that either. In fact I will keep my mouth shut. I will not put anything in print on the board. Those of you on my email list may hear something shortly that must never be posted to the board. Those of you who lived through the 37 page violation understand. A new coach and new team will not change the hate that Tenn fans still hold and imo it will be resurrected. I will end on this note. We shouldve never agreed to play Tenn again. Never ever. The hatred has not died and may never die. The End.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Well most of you know how I feel about playing Tenn. This game is a mistake. Those of you who think not how bout joining the Summitt board at Tenn which is a pay for board and you will understand. I wont go into that either. In fact I will keep my mouth shut. I will not put anything in print on the board. Those of you on my email list may hear something shortly that must never be posted to the board. Those of you who lived through the 37 page violation understand. A new coach and new team will not change the hate that Tenn fans still hold and imo it will be resurrected. I will end on this note. We shouldve never agreed to play Tenn again. Never ever. The hatred has not died and may never die. The End.
I agree 100% with you TonyC! I don’t think Geno was too keen on this either but was pressured for the “We Back Pat Week” game and all the publicity it could generates. For me, the VolNation and Summitt fans are the worst. I would actually eviscerate their moderators for inciting such behavior but they can’t be found! Empires rise and fall and sometimes a former empire is ok to be left in ruin just like Tennessee’s.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I offer this caveat...I wasn't there.
But give me a break
This "affair" has been over for years
Pat is dead and was certainly already ill when the worst of it took place
and persecution and paranoidal thoughts are classic symptoms of the disease

Yes, the AD and others supported her...look around these day. Certainly no one can be accused of supporting lunacy can they? Only zealous fans of UTenn?

"Defense" says Geno was pressured...Poor thing, Anyone remember Geno bending to "pressure Lately"?

Everyone loves and admires Tony, but in this case he is dead wrong.
And I do believe that there are UTenn fans with "hate in their heart":( So what?
But observe some of the posts above.

And certainly, no one can blame Kellie Harper nor any members of the current team. (She seems quite charming yet tough as nails)...good on her if she can round that royal mess into shape.

So what are we left with...a bunch of fan type haters on dueling boards and ESPN doing their best to rile them up...Don't fall for it!

Get over it (the expression of the year)...even Geno did and he was the aggrieved party.

Play Ball!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I offer this caveat...I wasn't there.
But give me a break
This "affair" has been over for years
Pat is dead and was certainly already ill when the worst of it took place
and persecution and paranoidal thoughts are classic symptoms of the disease

Yes, the AD and others supported her...look around these day. Certainly no one can be accused of supporting lunacy can they? Only zealous fans of UTenn?

"Defense" says Geno was pressured...Poor thing, Anyone remember Geno bending to "pressure Lately"?

Everyone loves and admires Tony, but in this case he is dead wrong.
And I do believe that there are UTenn fans with "hate in their heart":( So what?
But observe some of the posts above.

And certainly, no one can blame Kellie Harper nor any members of the current team. (She seems quite charming yet tough as nails)...good on her if she can round that royal mess into shape.

So what are we left with...a bunch of fan type haters on dueling boards and ESPN doing their best to rile them up...Don't fall for it!

Get over it (the expression of the year)...even Geno did and he was the aggrieved party.

Play Ball!
My post is about whats going on behind the scenes Right Now. Tenn administration has not let it die. The still carry it with them. In my post above I said I wouldnt talk about it on this board. Im not bringing up the ugly past and In not bringing up the ugly present events which is what Im referring to. I think many of you based on whats just happened can figure it out and yes it is ugly. Tenn hates UConn....still. As you mentioned in your post not all Tenn fans however those in high places with power still.

Reaction Score
How dare ESPN fan the flames of discontent between the two team's fans. Both fan bases are quite capable of doing that on their own.
Of course, one has a right to, while the other clings to the past.:rolleyes:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
My post is about whats going on behind the scenes Right Now. Tenn administration has not let it die. The still carry it with them. In my post above I said I wouldnt talk about it on this board. Im not bringing up the ugly past and In not bringing up the ugly present events which is what Im referring to. I think many of you based on whats just happened can figure it out and yes it is ugly. Tenn hates UConn....still. As you mentioned in your post not all Tenn fans however those in high places with power still.

Tony, It just doesn't matter...
Don't fret about, just play BB.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’m guessing that Geno has a wider view. Rivalries are good fun and without ND or even Rutgers in a conference schedule, neither the AAC nor BE have many real rivals for us.
Geno didn't want to play this game and only reluctantly agreed to it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Two top 25 teams playing each other.
Lol, well there are 23 other teams that meet that criteria. Maybe higher ranked teams playing each other are "better for woman's college basketball?"

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Deal with what's in your control: the games in front of you.

Wonder if some of the angst is that folks aren't totally sure what the outcome will be....

Reaction Score
It's all about getting eyes to look at the screen. Controversy sells and the media is going to play this up for all it's worth.

Reaction Score
Deal with what's in your control: the games in front of you.

Wonder if some of the angst is that folks aren't totally sure what the outcome will be....
Probably. There's a decent chance Tennessee makes it four in a row and continues their winning streak. If Stewie & Co. were still here, everyone would love to play Tennessee and lay down a Texas or Miss St in the NCAAs type beatdown.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Probably. There's a decent chance Tennessee makes it four in a row and continues their winning streak. If Stewie & Co. were still here, everyone would love to play Tennessee and lay down a Texas or Miss St in the NCAAs type beatdown.

Nope, not me. I never want to play them again. Ever. You don't let evil into your house. And you don't go to the evil's lair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom