UConn-Tenn Pre-Game Press | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn-Tenn Pre-Game Press

Reaction Score
I would like to see if the team is going to set more plays for Azzi. With her efficiency, she should be the top 3 scorer of the team.

Reaction Score
She comes across as thoughtful, kind, honest and aware. Also tough. Iron fist in velvet glove.
If you have access to The Athletic, there’s an excellent article in there about Harper and her late dad.

Reaction Score
I would like to see if the team is going to set more plays for Azzi. With her efficiency, she should be the top 3 scorer of the team.
I don't think we understand what is going to happen before our eyes.
How can a board that wrote non-stop about Azzi since she was in middle-school, not understand that she is going to be a prolific shooter and scorer at UConn? She's not an alpha, she's been banged up, who even knows how the knee injuries in HS are responding, and she's a freshman. Now IMO grab onto something because when this volcano erupts, it's gunna be a fun ride.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
According to who ?
Massey has UConn as a 6 point favorite.
How did Massey account for the fact that Paige isn't playing?

Reaction Score
First time that UConn will be the underdog in a game vs. Tennessee since the last year before Pat canceled the series, what, 15 years ago?
Well, Massey doesn't think so. They have UConn as a 69% winner with a 6 point spread. I think we can definitely beat them, but I think it will be a tough game. I hope the fans are LOOOUUUUUDDD!

Plebe

Reaction Score
Well, Massey doesn't think so. They have UConn as a 69% winner with a 6 point spread. I think we can definitely beat them, but I think it will be a tough game. I hope the fans are LOOOUUUUUDDD!
Did you see my question about how Massey managed to account for Paige's absence? Still awaiting an answer.

Reaction Score
Did you see my question about how Massey managed to account for Paige's absence? Still awaiting an answer.
Massey ratings are computer generated, no human involvement. There is no discretion for injured players, etc. She's been out for so long, the statistics generated have already found the curve that doesn't include her, only the scores, locations, point spreads, etc. Even when she comes back it won't help their Massey rating. It is based on sos, location of games, etc.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Massey ratings are computer generated, no human involvement. There is no discretion for injured players, etc. She's been out for so long, the statistics generated have already found the curve that doesn't include her, only the scores, locations, point spreads, etc. Even when she comes back it won't help their Massey rating. It is based on sos, location of games, etc.
Exactly. Therefore it would be folly to cite it as an authority on whether UConn is favored in this game.

Reaction Score
Exactly. Therefore it would be folly to cite it as an authority on whether UConn is favored in this game.
The Massey calculations are principally based on outcomes. Since UConn has played their last dozen games without Paige, that factor has been accounted for. Now, if she were to return, on the same level that she was playing at before the injury, that would not be accounted for. But that's not happening for the Tennessee game.

Reaction Score
To me, the key for UCONN in this game is to shake Azzi free on the right side ( her hunting zone) and GET HER THE BALL.
I’m sure Geno has drilled this without interruption in the past practices ( bonus a game was canceled)
If they listened and learned, this will open the court up for everyone else.
Not sure how effective Ono can be against a capable 6’6” opponent without this. (a 6’1” opponent blistered them).
If UCONN shoots under 34% from 3 point range, they’re in for a long afternoon.
JMHO

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I am thinking that this period may have been the first time in a very long time with near full practices including male players. Got to help.

sun

Reaction Score
Azzi did the pre-game player availability interview yesterday.
She's well aware of the spotlight being put on her.
Many of the questions were related to her shooting more.

Azzi Fudd: UConn Women's Basketball Pregame Sound (Tennessee) - 2/5/22

Reaction Score
If Azzi could get open enough to take 15-18 good shots I don't think anyone would disagree. The problem is that she doesn't and she also won't shoot that many times. Caroline moves much better without the ball than Azzi and at 6'2" with a long wing span (probably 6'-5") she can post up and also drive and pull up without a lot of separation. She also has every shot: a pull up, a left and right handed scoop, a 3, a baby jumper, a modified hook shot, a Euro step, and she can get her shots off when she has to.

I didn't see that from Azzi in the U19 event and I haven't seen it yet this season. If I am not mistaken, her first full drive to the basket, other than a fast break, was in the last game. She needs to handle the ball more and dribble more because she has a tremendous handle and then she can get her shots off the bounce. I think we have been seeing what we saw with Paige in the beginning of last year, i.e. an intention, conscious or subconscious, to defer to the upper classmen or older players, perhaps due to a tentativeness or so as not to be perceived as a selfish player. CD on the other hand could care less. She knows what she has to do and is a fearless player with shooter's amnesia.

Azzi herself said that misses bother her. That is Evina syndrome and it is counter productive to this team. Azzi talked about it in her presser so at least it's something she is aware of and hopefully today we will see some willingness on her part to take responsibility for the team. If our seniors are finally doing that as shown in the Creighton game, if Nika is doing that and if CD is doing that, I like our chances not just today but beyond. Paige who? I think I'm turning into TonyC before my very own eyes. Lol.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Tenn is turnover prone averaging approx 18 TOs a game. Key their 6'6 center is foul prone. If that happens today against UConn UConn will win. Tenn has lost 2 of their last 3 games to unranked teams. I really like out chances alot. UConn needs to play good D and rebound and they will be fine.

Reaction Score
Tenn is turnover prone averaging approx 18 TOs a game. Key their 6'6 center is foul prone. If that happens today against UConn UConn will win. Tenn has lost 2 of their last 3 games to unranked teams. I really like out chances alot. UConn needs to play good D and rebound and they will be fine.
Liv has to stay out of foul trouble also and our defense has to be tight and we have to communicate. Also, why is it that a freshman, Caroline, boxes out the best on our team? It will help today because Tennessee historically has been a very good offensive rebounding team.

I just think it's the typical February metamorphosis here at UCONN. We are getting ready to fly and it's starting today!

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I believe the key will be in the post, given Tennessee's throw it up and muscle-the-follow-up style. Whoever wins down low will win the game. I agree with Tony on the center. And I like what ONO did with the Syracuse transfer the last time they met. But, then again, we'll see when they play the game. We will be there, decked out in white and hollering like crazy people.

sun

Reaction Score
Liv has to stay out of foul trouble also and our defense has to be tight and we have to communicate. Also, why is it that a freshman, Caroline, boxes out the best on our team? It will help today because Tennessee historically has been a very good offensive rebounding team.

I just think it's the typical February metamorphosis here at UCONN. We are getting ready to fly and it's starting today!
I don't know which player boxes out the best, but AE seems to be the most physical player on the team.
She seems to box out pretty good when she's in the game.
AE could have a career in womens wrestling if she really wanted to.

Reaction Score
From Las Vegas.
UConn is 6.5 point favorite.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220206-105733_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220206-105733_Chrome.jpg
    892.5 KB · Views: 92
Reaction Score
There is pretty universal agreement that for this team to excel Azzi needs to play more and shoot more. Caroline as you say "out of necessity" was empowered to take many of the shots. That was somewhat because in Paige's absence others were not stepping up.

Caroline has been around 30% from three, looking to get it up with even the slightest bit of daylight. She has probably rushed a few, but her background and three point contests suggest she is likely to be a 40% 3pt shooter when Azzi and Paige start drawing the defenses. So while Azzi may need to be the first or second best player while Paige is out, Caroline needs to be right behind her and probably IMO ahead of Christyn.

A lineup with Nika, Christyn and Evina had no "great" 3pt shooters and spacing and interior play suffered greatly. Caroline mixed with two of those gives us one but only one, still a relative team weakness. Caroline with Azzi gives us two at a time, and the probable starting lineup next year, Paige, Azzi and Caroline gives us three.

The big question is if that should be the starting lineup by the end of this year. Caroline has effectively put Evina on the bench, once she got her opportunity to prove she belongs in the starting lineup. Azzi hasn't earned anything like that yet, but will get significant opportunities over the next few games to make her case. Of course the bar for her is high, because she would not need to just match Christyn, but probably clearly be playing better to get a starting position.

We are all anxious to get Paige back, but I think we should also remember that we didn't play very well before Paige got injured, and that was playing with two so so 3pt threats in Christyn and Evina. Regardless of who starts with Paige and Azzi soon being available with Caroline, we can frequently have at least two great long range threats in the game most of the time, and the option of three part of the time. I hope all of our bigs will flourish inside when that happens.

Reaction Score
We are all anxious to get Paige back, but I think we should also remember that we didn't play very well before Paige got injured, and that was playing with two so so 3pt threats in Christyn and Evina. Regardless of who starts with Paige and Azzi soon being available with Caroline, we can frequently have at least two great long range threats in the game most of the time, and the option of three part of the time. I hope all of our bigs will flourish inside when that happens.
UCONN played very well vs ND.

Reaction Score
Aubrey's little brother shot 3-6 from the arc today against UNC and is still shooting 50% from the distance on the season. He's barely 18 and moving toward the top-10 in the NBA draft. I'd love to see Aubs shoot like that!
I think another year of college ball for AJ griffin at duke would be beneficial.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom