UConn talk on McGraw's bench | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn talk on McGraw's bench

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Notre Dame is in the Chicago media market? I always thought ND was practically in Michigan.

ND *is* practically in Michigan. But Chicago's south side is only a 70 minute drive or so from the Michigan border itself.

For reference, from my door in Chicago to ND's arena, it's a 1 hour, 4o minute drive.

The three teams that get the bulk of the college sports coverage in the media are University of Illinois, Northwestern, and Notre Dame. Example:

upload_2018-1-12_14-49-39.png

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Scoop, Gus:

I'd be very interested in some specific memories or instances that you're referring to, particularly in reference to the 1970s. I was an undergrad at ND in the mid-1970s (yes, the dillon77 is year-related!) and was pretty familiar with the cast and characters at du lac during those times, particularly when Ara Parseghian was frequenting the football sidelines and a very young Digger Phelps was doing the same on the hardcourt.

Not that my goal is to challenge your memories or perceptions because your memories are,well, your memories, but I'm interested in how one person's shiny apple may be another's mashed banana.

Same question with you, Gus, if your're so inclined. If not, no worries.

Cheers.
A quick answer is Digger Phelps. I thought he was one of the more detestable sports figures of his time. I thought Ara P. was a pretty classy guy. The coach in the early to mid-70s, whose name is on the edge of my brain but can't quite break through (Dan something?) I found unlikable. Can't really remember why. He was at Missouri before ND.

I'd rather not get into religious matters other than to say that's a factor for me. I was also extremely bothered that ND got its own private TV network, NBC, whenever that was. Didn't seem fair. I recognize that none of these things speak to the quality of the school per se. I realize it is one of the finest undergraduate institutions in America and that a degree from there is something to be proud of.

I echo Scoop by saying that you, @Orangutan , and @Fightin Choke enrich this board with your thoughtful and intelligent contributions. Wish you would all post more.

Reaction Score
As a Red Sox fan, its incumbent on me to "hate" the Yankees. But it would be stupid of me not to recognize and respect all the Yankees have accomplished. Joe Torre was the best" in game" ngr I have ever seen, and they are class organization. You have to respect them.
The ND/UCONN rivalry is great for the game and the games between them are the most fun to watch. Its too bad the "Old" Big East had to die.
There is no doubt the ND has been the second best team in WCBB the last 10 or so years...they deserve their due.
A few years back, I was walking through the parking lot of Norfolk VA airport and Muffet McGraw was walking in front of me...I didnt, but I wanted to ask her what a "Tuffet' was???

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
@Dillon77 ,

As a quick follow-up: I take no joy at all from ND's injury situation. Turner's injury last spring was difficult to hear for all the obvious reasons, but also because of her previous shoulder problems. She's an outstanding talent who has been at her best only a fraction of the time she has been in school, if that.

And Lili Thompson's injury is devastating. For her, having sacrificed a year to have her career end like this, and for MM, who is not a machine but a person with hopes and feelings who must now try to find a way to carry on. I sincerely feel bad for her and the players involved.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Cohenzone: You've got a few discourses going on concurrently about Notre Dame and I just want to understand a comment or two here or there. Thanks for your explanation and/or indulgence.

- "Believe me, no other ND sport has meaningful value without football. which is not a put down of those programs, it's a fact." By "meaningful value without football," do you mean they wouldn't be: 1) in existence without football; 2) playing in a top-flight conference with out the prominence/money-making ability of the football program; 3) just don't matter.

-
That ACC raid was the first domino. Is the underlying premise of these comments to say that football is the 1000-lb. guerilla in the NCAA D1 world and that the desertions in the Big East led to UConn hoops not being able to play in what could've been a more prominent conference?

Once again, sorry for the questions but my head is still suffering from whiplash from watching Durr's and Hines-Allen shots whish though the net, again and again. :eek: Head bang
Withe some clarification, maybe I can address them. ;)

Football was gets them the recognition. Without football, ND is Butler from a big time sports viewpoint. And football is the unquestionable driving force in realignment. Hoops is no where n the discussion or else UConn would not be in its current situation.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
One of the great endings to a game I have ever seen.
Fellow 'not ND fans' (that's nice coming from me) enjoy:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Football was gets them the recognition. Without football, ND is Butler from a big time sports viewpoint. And football is the unquestionable driving force in realignment. Hoops is no where in the discussion or else UConn would not be in its current situation.

Thanks. So if football is the driving force in most P5 realignments and ND -- whether it's a shadow of it's former self or getting double-digit wins like this year -- still has football and the name recognition, as you write.

But aren't so many institutions that have football in a similar situation following that logic? After all, basketball is thought to be the only other consistent revenue producer among collegiate sports. Or am I missing something about "big time sports viewpoint?"

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
One of the great endings to a game I have ever seen.
Fellow 'not ND fans' (that's nice coming from me) enjoy:

That was Glenn Foley at QB, right? That one stung more than a bit because I think the Irish had just beaten Florida State the week before.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
That was Glenn Foley at QB, right? That one stung more than a bit because I think the Irish had just beaten Florida State the week before.
Indeed!

Reaction Score
As a Red Sox fan, its incumbent on me to "hate" the Yankees. But it would be stupid of me not to recognize and respect all the Yankees have accomplished. Joe Torre was the best" in game" ngr I have ever seen, and they are class organization. You have to respect them.
The ND/UCONN rivalry is great for the game and the games between them are the most fun to watch. Its too bad the "Old" Big East had to die.
There is no doubt the ND has been the second best team in WCBB the last 10 or so years...they deserve their due.
A few years back, I was walking through the parking lot of Norfolk VA airport and Muffet McGraw was walking in front of me...I didnt, but I wanted to ask her what a "Tuffet' was???

Off topic but as a Red Sox fan myself I can't wait to watch Cora make "in game" decisions this year instead of Farrell, who could possibly have been the worst "in game" manager in the history of baseball.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Thanks. So if football is the driving force in most P5 realignments and ND -- whether it's a shadow of it's former self or getting double-digit wins like this year -- still has football and the name recognition, as you write.

But aren't so many institutions that have football in a similar situation following that logic? After all, basketball is thought to be the only other consistent revenue producer among collegiate sports. Or am I missing something about "big time sports viewpoint?"
Yes. Football is THE revenue driver. And thats only for “big time “. programs The other sports are not the big revenue producers.

Reaction Score
Off topic but as a Red Sox fan myself I can't wait to watch Cora make "in game" decisions this year instead of Farrell, who could possibly have been the worst "in game" manager in the history of baseball.
You must be forgetting Grady Little, who left Pedro Martinez in that 2003 ALCS game after Pedro TOLD him he needed to come out (then Pedro gave up 4 hits, extending the game which the Yankees won on Aaron Boone’s 11th inning home run).

Reaction Score
we will find out, not much experience for Cora

Reaction Score
You must have enjoyed the Charlie Weis years which included a loss to UConn in South Bend
I think you can rest assured that UCONN will never again play ND in football. UCONN couldn't beat Trinity in football.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom