OT: - UConn students evicted from dorms | The Boneyard

OT: UConn students evicted from dorms

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
After holding a “pandemic” party in the dorms, against University rules, a number of UConn students have been evicted from the dorms. Photos of maskless UConn students partying showed up on social media, just 1 week after the school started welcoming back students. Currently, UConn has 5 positive cases and several dozen additional students quarantined.

While I made more than my share of questionable decisions during my college days, I really have no idea what to make of today’s college kids, who appear to be determined to shut down every school in the country.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
After holding a “pandemic” party in the dorms, against University rules, a number of UConn students have been evicted from the dorms. Photos of maskless UConn students partying showed up on social media, just 1 week after the school started welcoming back students. Currently, UConn has 5 positive cases and several dozen additional students quarantined.

While I made more than my share of questionable decisions during my college days, I really have no idea what to make of today’s college kids, who appear to be determined to shut down every school in the country.
College kids, especially college age young men, don't really see long term consequences very well. Men tend to develop that ability around age 27 or so give or take. None of this particularly surprises me, though I agree with you that, from a middle age perspective is seems foolish, if not reckless.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The fact that they evicted them at least shows the university's desire to try and make it right. Hopefully it's not too little, too late.
Unfortunately, evicting these kids from the dorms, means that mommy & daddy can pay for them to live off campus where they can hold all the parties they want. I’d expel the little bastards.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, evicting these kids from the dorms, means that mommy & daddy can pay for them to live off campus where they can hold all the parties they want. I’d expel the little bastards.

Some of them, maybe, but that's out of the university's control. They could completely expel them, but there would have to be some pretty detailed wording in the student code of conduct or else their parents will start feeling litigious.

We had our first day with students today (I'm a high school librarian), and I don't see how any of it is sustainable. Unless you create a bubble, the problem will continue to grow.

Reaction Score
College kids, especially college age young men, don't really see long term consequences very well. Men tend to develop that ability around age 27 or so give or take. None of this particularly surprises me, though I agree with you that, from a middle age perspective is seems foolish, if not reckless.
Went into the Army Security Agency in 1964 at 18 feeling my father knew nothing. Got out in 1968 at 22 and realized my father was very smart. Amazing how when you learn to grow up and take responsibility how your parents get smarter.

Reaction Score
I would think Mom and Dad gave them the speech before coming. They are supposed to be young adults but they are away from their parents and still acting like they're still in high school. If they were my child and they wanted to stay. They would need to work for that off campus apartment for The Year to make sure it was a one-time thing!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
As the most definitive study ever done on college social norms showed us, for every Marmalard, Neidermeyer,and Diller on campus there is a corresponding Hoover, Stratton,and Blutarsky. To quote a renowned Covid warrior, "It is what it is." We should not have expected things to be much different than they are. :eek:

Reaction Score
Because my wife is in a high risk category, my son has been very aware and very careful with following CDC guidelines this summer. Hopefully that carries through when he goes back to school. He will be in an off campus town house with four other roommates and who I hope are as conscientious as he has been. All of his classes are now on line. He realizes that if he has any exposures that he will be banned from coming home to visit until going through testing and isolation..

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Because my wife is in a high risk category, my son has been very aware and very careful with following CDC guidelines this summer. Hopefully that carries through when he goes back to school. He will be in an off campus town house with four other roommates and who I hope are as conscientious as he has been. All of his classes are now on line. He realizes that if he has any exposures that he will be banned from coming home to visit until going through testing and isolation..
Good luck to your family. These are tough decisions to make.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Uconn is in an interesting situation because while they have doubled their undergraduate enrollment in the last forty years they have not expanded their student housing at anything like that rate so while the total number of students typically living of campus is not all that large compared to some of the huge colleges, the percentage is very high. That limits what they are able to accomplish in terms of using housing as a 'big stick' to enforce responsible behavior. And having acted already, I suspect the rest of the parties will simply move off campus.

Most colleges are requiring special contracts for in-person students to participate in classes and or live on campus - not sure if Uconn has implemented that, but if they have they might have more leverage to suspend students rather than just kick them out of dorms.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
As the most definitive study ever done on college social norms showed us, for every Marmalard, Neidermeyer,and Diller on campus there is a corresponding Hoover, Stratton,and Blutarsky. To quote a renowned Covid warrior, "It is what it is." We should not have expected things to be much different than they are. :eek:
We'll send them off to war at 18, but it is demonstrated time and again that it is a small minority of 18 year olds that can be expected to act with maturity. When I toddled off to college and moved into my freshman dorm a large percentage of the guys were out of state residents and they came from states with a 21 drinking age. They went ape in New York with its 18 drinking age. More than half of them flunked out midyear.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Went into the Army Security Agency in 1964 at 18 feeling my father knew nothing. Got out in 1968 at 22 and realized my father was very smart. Amazing how when you learn to grow up and take responsibility how your parents get smarter.
Lucky you. Some of us found as we became adults that in fact our parents were the ones in need of lessons in taking responsibility!

Reaction Score

A little unfair to damn all college students for the actions of a few. And it’s not like every adult has been a model of responsible behavior.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Hopefully mommy and daddy don’t enable the kids. Of course who knows what mom and dad are up to.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A little unfair to damn all college students for the actions of a few. And it’s not like every adult has been a model of responsible behavior.
Agreed. I should have called out “some kids” for questionable behavior, and as you point out, too many adults have acted like anything but.....

Reaction Score

They should expel them for good ! They are a bunch of idiots !

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
One has to remember that our national policy on mask wearing, social distancing et al, indeed the entire threat has been inconsistent and confusing.
(a carefully worded statement intended to pass munster as being only a smidge political).

Why should we expect teens and post-teens to be responsible and sane in the face of such incoherent messaging?

They're supposed to be the grownups in the room?

It's come to that? :)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Scientists have backed up your statement for years. 25-29 is about right.
They should expel them for good ! They are a bunch of idiots !
No. See above.
One has to remember that our national policy on mask wearing, social distancing et al, indeed the entire threat has been inconsistent and confusing.
(a carefully worded statement intended to pass munster as being only a smidge political).

Why should we expect teens and post-teens to be responsible and sane in the face of such incoherent messaging?

Right as rain.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

When I read the OP, something about it did not sit quite right. You nailed it for me; I hope this remains.

I hope the following is not viewed as political, as it favors no current ideology or party. @CL82 stated that men's ability to see consequences do not develop very well until age 27. As a former educator that makes sense to me, but I would like to cross-reference it with the paleolithic evidence (which relies on carbon dating) that the lifespan for early nomads was around 33.

That means only six years of existence, on average, of men being able to see consequences. Something is wrong with either the lifespan evidence or the development study. It turns out something is wrong with both.

Ethnographic evidence differs markedly from paleolithic evidence in regards to the natural lifespan of an early nomad. When ethnographers began to study the Huron tribes, cross-referencing with tribal histories revealed an occasional member reaching 100. The life expectancy at age 15 was estimated to be fifty years. Ethnographers routinely discovered members of tribes estimated to be in in the 60-80 year range.

Grandparents are found to be very important in the family unit of nomads, even though nomads start having families in their late teens. It was during our agricultural phase that young teens started having kids. Do the math.

Yet our society chooses the paleolithic evidence to characterize our early nomads, whether in a Seinfeld sketch or a think tank diatribe. There are consequences for that which it would be best for us to think about .... when we are developmentally ready. Lol

As for that, developmental studies are done on civilized subjects. The norm for a civilized subject is different from a nomad in many ways. In regards to development, nomads develop as a mixed-aged community; us civilized folks develop in single age cohorts with specific authorities in charge in steps along the way. Nomads are more likely to think like adults sooner; while adults are more likely to retain a childlike quality later.

I would like to tie that last observation in with @msf22b , but fear that is when things get political.

Reaction Score
See what happens when you do not have required military service in this nation. LOL LOL LOL.

Kids will be kids until they finally grow up whenever that will be. Unfortunately, it might be too late for some. They want to party, and that is not a crime. Even a disease cannot keep them down. Have to admire their desire to be "free".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom