UConn still #2 in AP poll | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn still #2 in AP poll

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Just like in the vast majority of sports polls, when you lose you drop down and when you win you move up. This is my only point! I love UCONN just like everyone on this forum. I find it amazing everyone is on this "quality of loss" thing. If this is going to be the "standard" for teams moving up ,down or staying put then it should be reflected throughout the poll not just a great game between Baylor and UCONN. Make it fair for every team in the entire polling system. If not, how do you justify it for UCONN?
First of all, Kentucky lost and stayed at #8, so it's not just UConn, it happens.
And it's not just one person voting. It's a group of people and I'm sure that some voted UConn #3. But look at the numbers in last weeks poll. UConn had a large lead over ND for the #2 spot. This week, it's much closer, but it wasn't enough to move ND past UConn.
It's a silly thing to be complaining about.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Just like in the vast majority of sports polls, when you lose you drop down and when you win you move up. This is my only point! I love UCONN just like everyone on this forum. I find it amazing everyone is on this "quality of loss" thing. If this is going to be the "standard" for teams moving up ,down or staying put then it should be reflected throughout the poll not just a great game between Baylor and UCONN. Make it fair for every team in the entire polling system. If not, how do you justify it for UCONN?
But that doesn't always happen, it does most frequently but not near always.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Didn't Baylor drop in the polls after a one point loss at UCONN last year? I'm pretty sure that they dropped from the number 2 spot to number 3

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
No way that UCONN should drop from the number 2 spot. UCONN is a better team than ND from what I saw.

Reaction Score
Uconn is #2 in coaches poll as well and even got 1 vote for 1 st...

Reaction Score

Really?!l Did you read my posting? It gives a great reason why UCONN should stay #2. I still don't understand your rationalization for dropping UCONN. Actually, I do but don't agree. How does this work for teams ranked #9? 15? 18? 24? Should the 24th ranked team move to 25 if they lose? For the record I do want to say that rankings at this point means nothing, but it does leave a lot of room for discussion (like this).

Reaction Score
Didn't Baylor drop in the polls after a one point loss at UCONN last year? I'm pretty sure that they dropped from the number 2 spot to number 3

Last year was last year. Much different scenario. #1 UCONN played #2 Baylor and won, but UCONN did not get to play (the new) #2 team like it played out this year. So, it can not be comparable.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Uconn is #2 in coaches poll as well and even got 1 vote for 1 st...

Interesting. Some coach thought that 30+ minutes of basketball, instead of 40 minutes, was the proper indicator. I think there is a small gap between the teams, but Baylor did win. It seems as if they should be unanimous.

Reaction Score
Wonder how clear and obvious it would be that UConn is better than ND if they swapped schedules. Does UConn lose by only 5 if they play a road game with Baylor as the 4th game of the season? Do they preform the same without the benefit of playing Stanford and A&M before Baylor. I'm assuming after the Stanford game ( I watched that was good defensively, but awful offensively) that UConn is better 10 games into the season. I know ND is better and healthier 11 games into the season. Glad it will be decided soon enough

Reaction Score
Wonder how clear and obvious it would be that UConn is better than ND if they swapped schedules. Does UConn lose by only 5 if they play a road game with Baylor as the 4th game of the season? Do they preform the same without the benefit of playing Stanford and A&M before Baylor. I'm assuming after the Stanford game ( I watched that was good defensively, but awful offensively) that UConn is better 10 games into the season. I know ND is better and healthier 11 games into the season. Glad it will be decided soon enough

Good point!

blaqtech

Longtime Louisville Lover
Reaction Score
Really?!l Did you read my posting? It gives a great reason why UCONN should stay #2. I still don't understand your rationalization for dropping UCONN. Actually, I do but don't agree. How does this work for teams ranked #9? 15? 18? 24? Should the 24th ranked team move to 25 if they lose? For the record I do want to say that rankings at this point means nothing, but it does leave a lot of room for discussion (like this).

I read your position and I'm okay with. We agree to disagree about why UCONN should move up or down even though we both think they're the better team.
#9 Duke, #15 Texas Tech, #18 Green Bay and #24 Nebraska.
It works the same way, if they lose then they should drop down at minimum one spot or more if it calls for it.
If #24 Nebraska played #23 North Carolina and loss similar to the way we saw UCONN to Baylor, I would drop them to #25. Now if #26 made a compelling showing to be in the Top 25 I would possibly drop Nebraska out the rankings. Also, if Vanderbilt lost I may just keep Nebraska at #24.

I understand that my position may not be a popular one but it's the one that has been in play with rankings. Switching sports for a moment. # 1 LSU vs #2 Alabama in football. When Bama lost the game they had to move down in the rankings and Oklahoma State moved up. The majority of people, thought LSU and Alabama were the two best teams at the time and Alabama should remain #2 despite the loss. How can you penalize Oklahoma State, when at the time they were undefeated, and not moved them up when the team in front of them lost a game? Now, I believe Bama is the better team(in both cases).

Reaction Score
there were probably some players and coaches that were/are furious that UConn is still #2 in the nation.. got to love it

Reaction Score
I read your position and I'm okay with. We agree to disagree about why UCONN should move up or down even though we both think they're the better team.
#9 Duke, #15 Texas Tech, #18 Green Bay and #24 Nebraska.
It works the same way, if they lose then they should drop down at minimum one spot or more if it calls for it.
If #24 Nebraska played #23 North Carolina and loss similar to the way we saw UCONN to Baylor, I would drop them to #25. Now if #26 made a compelling showing to be in the Top 25 I would possibly drop Nebraska out the rankings. Also, if Vanderbilt lost I may just keep Nebraska at #24.

I understand that my position may not be a popular one but it's the one that has been in play with rankings. Switching sports for a moment. # 1 LSU vs #2 Alabama in football. When Bama lost the game they had to move down in the rankings and Oklahoma State moved up. The majority of people, thought LSU and Alabama were the two best teams at the time and Alabama should remain #2 despite the loss. How can you penalize Oklahoma State, when at the time they were undefeated, and not moved them up when the team in front of them lost a game? Now, I believe Bama is the better team(in both cases).

Thanks for the breakdown. I understand your reasoning a little bit better. I also agree to disagree. Looking forward to further discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom