UConn stats... Z's numbers match Katie Lou's... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn stats... Z's numbers match Katie Lou's...

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Very interesting use of statistics. When I play golf with my adult son and he has to go over or through a tree, he shares that Trees are 75percent air... which I suppose it true to some extent with all the space between branches, etc... but rarely is he able to hit a ball clean through one of those trees.

I am glad we have Z and others don't...but I'm not sure about comparing her stats to those of Lou. As you point out in your discussion, many of Zs minutes are played late in the game with our 2nd teamers vs 2nd teamers.... Z is a potential all world player often going against people much less skilled...and Never as tall (anyone else that tall on other teams plays early). And, often, our 2nd teamers look to Z to score, passing up their own shots to get the ball into Z for the lay up. When Z plays with the starting 5, she does not get so many shots because of course there are 4 other quality UConn scorers on the court with her. And of course Lou is a Cheerleader during those late game periods...except when it's a tight one.

IF Z would leave the 3 point shot at home, especially in big games, and if she would be more of a force in the paint on defense that would be a serious benefit. Z's play in the 4th quarter vs ND was epic! No doubt about it... BUT, notice the play by play info provided by CamrnCrz1974...Z's shots were 3 LAYUPs, 2 Foul Shots, and 1 Jumper (likely within 1o ft of the rim...but I don't remember exactly). She played where she was needed...in the paint... filling big minutes and making big contributions while Gabby was out with Migranes and Lou was out with the ankle re-injury. She took advantage of her strengths (6'6")...and good mobility under the basket to get those layups against shorter and less mobile center for ND.

She is going to be a contributor during the NC tournament...and will likely be relied on heavily against the likes of MSST, TX, Baylor, etc...teams with big bigs.
And (I know I am beating the dead horse) she had 4 fouls (in the ND game; I replied to the wrong post)....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
View attachment 28590

Statistically, Azura is playing as well as Katie Lou. Before the pitchfork and torch crowd shows up at Bokamper's, let me explain. And yes, I know stats don't tell the whole picture. For what it is worth, if I was a GM and faced the choice of drafting either KLS or Z, I'd select Katie Lou. :)

Because of injuries, Katie Lou has played in 20 of UConn's 25 games this season. She has been on the court for 575 minutes. Azura has played in all 25 games and totaled 538 minutes. So, KLS has actually played 37 more minutes than Z. Consider their stats:

1. Points - Katie Lou has scored 360 points. Z has scored 354 points. If you calculate the points per minute, Z is slightly more productive, 1.51 vs 1.59 ppm. Tie.

2. Rebounds - UConn may not have the rebounding Samuelson, but they have the rebounding Stevens. Z has 182 rebounds (3rd), including 65 offensive boards, which is #1 on the team. Lou has 85 rebounds. Advantage Z.

3. Assists - Katie Lou has 74 assists versus 51 for Z. Advantage KLS.

4. Shooting % - Z has made 59.8% on all shots from the field. That includes the dismal 7-42 shooting from outside the arc. Samuelson has hit 53.2% of all her shots, including 47.6% from three range. Z obviously shoots from much closer to the basket, but overall, she has a better shooting %.

5. Free throws- Z has made 79.7% (47-59) of her free throws. KSL has also made 79.7% of her tries from the charity stripe (51-64). Tie.

6. Turnovers - Z has more (29), but Katie Lou is nearby (25). KLS slightly.

7. Blocked shots - Azura has 46 vs only 3 for KLS. Clear advantage to Z.

IMO, criticism of Azura has been a bit harsh recently. Yet, stats say she has been very productive for the Huskies..!! Obviously, two very different kind of players, but both contributing toward UConn's 25-0 record.

Go Huskies..!!

As has been pointed out AZ's numbers are against less talented teams. If her defensive numbers were equal to KLS--everyone would be saying---guaranteed NC.
David --to be very fair do a comparison of the two against ranked teams.
Turnovers--when they occurred is more important than the number. Als0 To's vs possessions/per player tells a stronger story.
Rebound and blocked shot--David, come on, KLS is not a post ok neither is AZ but that's where is currently stuck. \

Yep, A Z has been getting some less than wonderful comments. Most are at least accurate. Where she plays or where she shoots from is between her and Geno. But I'd wish he'd give up, for the present, on her 3 ball shots. She has had tough 4 kids to follow and the hyped up expectations by the media and the fans have done little to help her, much like some of the current Megan comments.

To tell you the truth David---I prefer one of your tests. Your point is taken.

Reaction Score
I agree with most of your post. Keep in mind, CaDavid is not saying Z is better than KLS; just that the criticism of Z is a bit harsh. His numbers support that opinion. Z is playing below her potential, especially against smaller post players where she should be dominating.

One other comment about "When she stops taking 3s, and she posts up more, she will be moving towards her potential." Mostly agree, but this strategy may not work against Miss State. By making it a classic post match-up between Z and McCowan(sp?), on offense, this clogs the lanes and will force Gabby and Collier to make plays on the perimeter. Z must take and make outside shots in order for McCowan to come out of the lane and open things up for Gabby and Collier. IMHO, Z needs to make outside shots for her to reach her full potential. For undersized opponents, you are correct, and Z absolutely needs to take advantage of her height advantage. Against other bigs, for the benefit of the team, she needs to hit outside shots. This should be a focus for Z and the coaching staff. Just my opinion.
\

According what Geno reported said about AZ's long range shooting, i.e. she is accurate in practice. Once those shots begin falling in games--the defense by opponents will get a long spread. A team like Ms St and McGowan will have to select their poison--follow AZ to the arc or down low to defend Collier, KLS, Gabby. Allowing her to continue to shoot the 3 in games is working towards the day (ala Stewie) when they began falling like rain.
Will that happen this year???

Reaction Score
I agree with most of your post. Keep in mind, David is not saying Z is better than KLS; just that the criticism of Z is a bit harsh. His numbers support that opinion. Z is playing below her potential, especially against smaller post players where she should be dominating.

One other comment about "When she stops taking 3s, and she posts up more, she will be moving towards her potential." Mostly agree, but this strategy may not work against Miss State. By making it a classic post match-up between Z and McCowan(sp?), on offense, this clogs the lanes and will force Gabby and Collier to make plays on the perimeter. Z must take and make outside shots in order for McCowan to come out of the lane and open things up for Gabby and Collier. IMHO, Z needs to make outside shots for her to reach her full potential. For undersized opponents, you are correct, and Z absolutely needs to take advantage of her height advantage. Against other bigs, for the benefit of the team, she needs to hit outside shots. This should be a focus for Z and the coaching staff. Just my opinion.
Interesting perspective on Z taking 3 pointers. I will make two counter points.

(1) Most fouls are when someone is driving in the paint. Since Z is 6'6" and uber talented, hopefully she is good enough to take any opponent in the paint. UConn would be better off if McCowan or Aja were on the bench.

(2) She does not need to go out to 3pt land to pull other bigs with her. If she is constantly hitting 15ft shots then she can accomplish your valid reason for her shooting outside. At the % she shoots the 3 I would leave her out there all day as an opposing team.

Reaction Score
\

According what Geno reported said about AZ's long range shooting, i.e. she is accurate in practice. Once those shots begin falling in games--the defense by opponents will get a long spread. A team like Ms St and McGowan will have to select their poison--follow AZ to the arc or down low to defend Collier, KLS, Gabby. Allowing her to continue to shoot the 3 in games is working towards the day (ala Stewie) when they began falling like rain.
Will that happen this year???
we can only hope and pray that those shots "begin falling in games".... In the Louisville game her 3point attempts were not really very close...including an airball. Unfortunately every time she misses then her 6'6" rebounding skills are not near the basket to get the ball back for a put back. and at her current percentage, it's virtually a turn over!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Having just re-watched the Louisville game, I’m here to tell you that Azura’s 4th quarter in that game (as in the Notre Dame game) was an All-American performance. Not only did she get the majority of UConn’s points in the 4th quarter, she got several contested rebounds, at least one nice assist, and one steal of what would have been a backdoor assist by Louisville.

I think far too much is made on this board of her 3-point attempts, which really are not very numerous. In the Louisville game, I’m not sure that Crystal made a good play by passing to her in the corner when she probably could have made a layup, but once that was done, the shot was the only reasonable play for Azura to make.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
And to be even more sympathetic to Z, she comes off the bench, something that's very hard, since you're coming in cold. And equally, the team needs to adjust to a different kind of player, and that sometimes throws off the rhythm, as was noted by at least one poster (sorry; can't remember whom) after the Louisville game. Some players are fine coming in cold; Z may not be one of them. The current rotation may be best for the team overall (which is all that counts), but not necessarily be best for Z.

She came over from Duke, where she would have been the star, and has worked hard to celebrate the UConn way. Lots of fist-pumps here for Z!
When she becomes a starter she will be a different player and some plays will be run through her. I believe she will be like Butler. Now that she is starting she has more confidence and playing well. Z with more confidence will be very good. There are so many on here who value Geno's opinion and he says Z will is a highly talented player. This is the first time in her career that she has not been a starter on a regular basis. Also, it seems to me that an offensive system that is thrown off when a substitute comes in to replace a starter, is too complicated. It did not used to be that way.

Reaction Score
When she becomes a starter she will be a different player and some plays will be run through her. I believe she will be like Butler. Now that she is starting she has more confidence and playing well. Z with more confidence will be very good. There are so many on here who value Geno's opinion and he says Z will is a highly talented player. This is the first time in her career that she has not been a starter on a regular basis. Also, it seems to me that an offensive system that is thrown off when a substitute comes in to replace a starter, is too complicated. It did not used to be that way.
It seems to me that this offensive system may be too complicated for the competition. 25-0. Just sayin'...

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Center, I love your focus and zeal on endorsing KLS! I too, am a huge KLS fan and think she warrants the POY over Wilson, Vivians and/or Durr.

The main * is KLS has missed 5 games, 20% of the season at this point and that is a huge stat tilt towards Z. Z has been unfairly critiqued due to the hype Geno started on her potential. She has always been very good offensively with the “work in progress” being her defense.

I prefer to agree 100% that Z is, in fact playing well and will need to continue her evolution in order for us to win #12.

Along those lines, KLS has played through bumps, bruises, sprains, illness and the other teams primary defensive focus. KLS is the mark of consistency in all big games when healthy-ND some injury issues. She sets the tone offensively with her shot creation (not to denigrate Gabby, Kia or Pheesa here but Geno notes “Lou” is our 1A offensive weapon).

No “slight” was perceived by me towards KLS with the nice post on Z by our colleague Naples. Let’s continue to watch with glee KLS and her evolution of her game...

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I like Z and I believe I am going to love her game next year. One point about her stats this year is according to my eye test, she kills the small finesse teams and fades against teams that are larger and more physical. She is getting better as she has acquired more experience in the post.

Also, regarding her 3 point shooting, I remember Geno saying she and Kia are direct opposites. Z can't miss in practice and can't make in a game and Kia can't hit in practice. I think he closed those comments with "so what are you going to do?"

Reaction Score
Entering the fourth quarter, UConn trailed Notre Dame, 62-54. Lil Thompson made a three, and UConn trailed, 65-54, with 9:00 to go in the game.

This is what Azura Stevens did in the fourth quarter, between 9:00 to go and 2:20 to go, against Notre Dame's starters and facing the biggest deficit UConn has faced in years.

8:59 Azura Stevens made Layup. 65 - 56
8:19 Arike Ogunbowale missed Three Point Jumper. 65 - 56
8:19 Crystal Dangerfield Defensive Rebound. 65 - 56
8:19 Megan Walker made Layup. Assisted by Crystal Dangerfield. 65 - 58
8:06 Lili Thompson made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Jessica Shepard. 68 - 58
7:49 Kia Nurse made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Azura Stevens. 68 - 61
7:05 Arike Ogunbowale Turnover. 68 - 61
7:05 Napheesa Collier Steal. 68 - 61
6:53 Azura Stevens made Layup. Assisted by Crystal Dangerfield. 68 - 63
6:47 Notre Dame Timeout 68 - 63
6:25 Lili Thompson missed Three Point Jumper. 68 - 63
6:25 Megan Walker Defensive Rebound. 68 - 63
6:05 Foul on Kathryn Westbeld. 68 - 63
6:05 Azura Stevens made Free Throw. 68 - 64
6:05 Azura Stevens made Free Throw. 68 - 65

5:49 Marina Mabrey missed Three Point Jumper. 68 - 65
5:49 Connecticut Defensive Rebound. 68 - 65
5:19 Crystal Dangerfield missed Three Point Jumper. 68 - 65
5:19 Crystal Dangerfield Offensive Rebound. 68 - 65
5:14 Crystal Dangerfield made Jumper. 68 - 67
4:50 Marina Mabrey Turnover. 68 - 67
4:50 Official TV Timeout 68 - 67
4:41 Azura Stevens made Layup. Assisted by Napheesa Collier. 68 - 69
4:22 Arike Ogunbowale made Layup. 70 - 69
3:54 Kia Nurse made Layup. 70 - 71
3:28 Arike Ogunbowale missed Three Point Jumper. 70 - 71
3:28 Megan Walker Defensive Rebound. 70 - 71
3:24 Foul on Jessica Shepard. 70 - 71
3:08 Napheesa Collier missed Three Point Jumper. 70 - 71
3:08 Kia Nurse Offensive Rebound. 70 - 71
3:02 Kia Nurse made Layup. 70 - 73
2:43 Jessica Shepard missed Layup. 70 - 73
2:43 Napheesa Collier Defensive Rebound. 70 - 73
2:20 Azura Stevens made Jumper. 70 - 75

In this period of 6:40, Stevens had 10 points and an assist on a three-point basket. 13 of UConn's 26 points in the quarter were a result of Stevens. UConn went from trailing by 11 to leading by 5 - a swing of 16 points.

In fact, Stevens outscored Notre Dame as a team in the fourth quarter, 10-9.

Any questions?

Interesting how Kia's contributions in that last quarter (7 points, including 4 of the last 6 points scored by UCONN, and an offensive rebound) are often over-looked.

Reaction Score
When you have Katie Lou, Kia, Crystal and Napheesa shooting 3s, you don't need a 6'6" player shooting 3s at 16.7%. Z's overall percentage is 59.8%, which includes the 16.7%. Tell me again why she's so adamant about shooting 3s? Z would be shooting over 60% without the 3s. They need her closer to the basket.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
...One point about her stats this year is according to my eye test, she kills the small finesse teams and fades against teams that are larger and more physical. She is getting better as she has acquired more experience in the post.
So if I may ask-besides Texas, who are the larger more and more physical teams that we played? I looked at UCLA (18 pt win with Z-6 pts/no KLS, not really a larger more physical team), SC (yeah larger, not sure more physical-25 pt win with Z ) and at Texas with 11,800+ fans, largest crowd in years and Texas' best game by far and Z had 16 points, 2 blocks and 3 rebounds. I guess if we view Texas as more physical-16 points is pretty good.

To me, it's trying to find the offensive spacing and rhythm with Z vs. Gabby and Pheesa with perimeter players Kia/Crystal Dangerfield and our beloved KLS who slashes across, thru and bombs from the outside.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
So if I may ask-besides Texas, who are the larger more and more physical teams that we played? I looked at UCLA (18 pt win with Z-6 pts/no KLS, not really a larger more physical team), SC (yeah larger, not sure more physical-25 pt win with Z ) and at Texas with 11,800+ fans, largest crowd in years and Texas' best game by far and Z had 16 points, 2 blocks and 3 rebounds. I guess if we view Texas as more physical-16 points is pretty good.

To me, it's trying to find the offensive spacing and rhythm with Z vs. Gabby and Pheesa with perimeter players Kia/Crystal Dangerfield and our beloved KLS who slashes across, thru and bombs from the outside.
I should not have used the word larger. What I see is that she has a difficult time catching the ball when being "jostled" underneath. When she is being bumped she very often will have to double catch or not catch. I agree with your comment on spacing and rhythm. The quote could also apply to Megan.

Reaction Score
She is going to be a contributor during the NC tournament...and will likely be relied on heavily against the likes of MSST, TX, Baylor, etc...teams with big bigs.[/QUOTE]

Not only is she going to contribute but they need her to win the National Championship. She can score in the block against anyone, her length is going to be relied on against the bigger teams that loom down the road. So those who are hating on Zee better wake up and get it together. If she is not a major factor in the tournament UConn will not win....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom