11 is way better than 2..!! :)
- Apr 1, 2013
Statistically, Azura is playing as well as Katie Lou. Before the pitchfork and torch crowd shows up at Bokamper's, let me explain. And yes, I know stats don't tell the whole picture. For what it is worth, if I was a GM and faced the choice of drafting either KLS or Z, I'd select Katie Lou.
Because of injuries, Katie Lou has played in 20 of UConn's 25 games this season. She has been on the court for 575 minutes. Azura has played in all 25 games and totaled 538 minutes. So, KLS has actually played 37 more minutes than Z. Consider their stats:
1. Points - Katie Lou has scored 360 points. Z has scored 354 points. If you calculate the points per minute, Z is slightly more productive, 1.51 vs 1.59 ppm. Tie.
2. Rebounds - UConn may not have the rebounding Samuelson, but they have the rebounding Stevens. Z has 182 rebounds (3rd), including 65 offensive boards, which is #1 on the team. Lou has 85 rebounds. Advantage Z.
3. Assists - Katie Lou has 74 assists versus 51 for Z. Advantage KLS.
4. Shooting % - Z has made 59.8% on all shots from the field. That includes the dismal 7-42 shooting from outside the arc. Samuelson has hit 53.2% of all her shots, including 47.6% from three range. Z obviously shoots from much closer to the basket, but overall, she has a better shooting %.
5. Free throws- Z has made 79.7% (47-59) of her free throws. KSL has also made 79.7% of her tries from the charity stripe (51-64). Tie.
6. Turnovers - Z has more (29), but Katie Lou is nearby (25). KLS slightly.
7. Blocked shots - Azura has 46 vs only 3 for KLS. Clear advantage to Z.
IMO, criticism of Azura has been a bit harsh recently. Yet, stats say she has been very productive for the Huskies..!! Obviously, two very different kind of players, but both contributing toward UConn's 25-0 record.