UConn stats...ONO she didn't... :) | The Boneyard

UConn stats...ONO she didn't... :)

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Olivia.jpg

Many Huskies have contributed to UConn's 4-0 start this season. But, Olivia Nelson-Ododa is filling up the stat sheet in an impressive manner. Consider:

1. Liv's assist total of 14 is 2nd best on the team. That is 4 more than Crystal..!
2. ONO has 21 offensive rebounds. That is more than the rest of the team combined. :eek:
3. Olivia is tied with Megan for the most made free throws at 11. Her free throw % is better than Megan at 78.6%.
4. Her 17 blocked shots are 15 more than the next player.
5. Liv is averaging a double-double with 12.3 points per game and 10.3 rebounds per game.
6. Olivia is playing 32 minutes per game vs 14 per game last season.

Liv is excelling at almost every phase of the game, both on offense and defense. Only a sophomore, she is improving game by game, right in front of our eyes. Thoughts..?

Go Huskies..!!

Reaction Score
View attachment 48345

Many Huskies have contributed to UConn's 4-0 start this season. But, Olivia Nelson-Ododa is filling up the stat sheet in an impressive manner. Consider:

1. Liv's assist total of 14 is 2nd best on the team. That is 4 more than Crystal..!
2. ONO has 21 offensive rebounds. That is more than the rest of the team combined. :eek:
3. Olivia is tied with Megan for the most made free throws at 11. Her free throw % is better than Megan at 78.6%.
5. Liv is averaging a double-double with 12.3 points per game and 10.3 rebounds per game.

Liv is excelling at almost every phase of the game, both on offense and defense. Only a sophomore, she is improving game by game, right in front of our eyes. Thoughts..?

Go Huskies..!!

Her skills and athleticism were on display even in high school....................I never doubted that she would improve this season and as long as she stays healthy she should be in the running for AA honors the next two seasons.........

Reaction Score
View attachment 48345

Go Huskies..!!
IMO, she’ll be this year’s Collier, the glue that holds everything together. She’s pretty much their whole interior defense and other than Walker against mismatches, is their only offensive post option. I just hope she continues to play as if she’s oblivious to how much is riding on her.

Reaction Score
I like her hustle. She moves as well or better than any UConn big I can remember. And she keeps the ball up high, away from grasping hands, ALMOST all the time.

It's fascinating to watch her develop, almost from game to game. Her shot blocking has improved already from the first game of the year, when she had a tendency to lean in on blocks and not stay vertical.

She's obviously smart. She's talented. She has great coaching. The sky's the limit for her, er, well, the WNBA salary cap is the limit for her. At least in the US.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Great stuff David, as always. What's NOT to like about Olivia? You mentioned pretty much all the cogent stats. Just a few other thoughts...

Her ability to block shots and stay out of foul trouble will be key. She still does the "tomahawk chop" on blocks. It works great when her instincts and hand-eye coordination allow her to get all ball, but she runs the risk of refs calling a foul just because of the animated and aggressive nature of the "chop".

As Meg Culmo has pointed out, while she does have a terrific mid range fade away, when she gets the ball deep in the post, she needs to take it to the basket instead of fading away. Higher % shot AND the possibility of drawing a foul for a 3-point play (added bonus - possibly causing foul trouble for the person guarding her). She's already been called for a hooking foul (hooking her elbow around the defender to spin past her), so she needs to be careful, but I think that will all come.

You mentioned her assists, but on top of that, the passes are just really good. She sees the floor well, and dare I say, seems at least as good a passer as Stef was 4 games into her sophomore year.

Bottom line, so much growth and improvement. I got to watch Texas play the other day and keyed into Charli Collier. While I would have loved for her to honor her verbal to UCONN (but totally get why she opted to say closer to home), the lack of coaching (way to go Karen) she receives has limited her growth potential, unlike Olivia.

Reaction Score
The only cloud on the horizon is that teams are starting to double- and -triple-team her, and they might get away with it because she's the only legitimate center/forward on the team.

Reaction Score
Great stuff David, as always. What's NOT to like about Olivia? You mentioned pretty much all the cogent stats. Just a few other thoughts...

Her ability to block shots and stay out of foul trouble will be key. She still does the "tomahawk chop" on blocks. It works great when her instincts and hand-eye coordination allow her to get all ball, but she runs the risk of refs calling a foul just because of the animated and aggressive nature of the "chop".

As Meg Culmo has pointed out, while she does have a terrific mid range fade away, when she gets the ball deep in the post, she needs to take it to the basket instead of fading away. Higher % shot AND the possibility of drawing a foul for a 3-point play (added bonus - possibly causing foul trouble for the person guarding her). She's already been called for a hooking foul (hooking her elbow around the defender to spin past her), so she needs to be careful, but I think that will all come.

You mentioned her assists, but on top of that, the passes are just really good. She sees the floor well, and dare I say, seems at least as good a passer as Stef was 4 games into her sophomore year.

Bottom line, so much growth and improvement. I got to watch Texas play the other day and keyed into Charli Collier. While I would have loved for her to honor her verbal to UCONN (but totally get why she opted to say closer to home), the lack of coaching (way to go Karen) she receives has limited her growth potential, unlike Olivia.

Good points. I also would like to see her take the ball to the rim with either hand however, someone is going to have to show and teach her how use her body to shield the defender while really getting her shooting arm extended. She’s a little slow getting the ball up from her hip area but if she can quicken that while getting the full extension, she’ll be unblockable.

Reaction Score
No doubt she's improved from last year. Of course she still has more to work on (she's only a sophomore after all), but if she can continue to build on what she's done so far, everyone better watch out for her senior year. She'll be unstoppable.

Imagine if she developed a consistent hook shot or a fade-away jumper where she got some elevation. Nobody would be able to stop her.

Reaction Score
Her skills and athleticism were on display even in high school....................I never doubted that she would improve this season and as long as she stays healthy she should be in the running for AA honors the next two seasons.........
I posted since last January: Olivia (ONO) is intelligent, determined, works hard. She improved by many levels above that which she had early on. The improvement THIS year, only 6 (2 exhibits) games old, she has improved. Each game something is better more improved more towards making her an AA. Will she become one? Anyone who thinks otherwise ---I have a dozen names for them none including being a basketball expert.

Reaction Score
The only cloud on the horizon is that teams are starting to double- and -triple-team her, and they might get away with it because she's the only legitimate center/forward on the team.
The greatest asset Uconn has is ONO, when she is tripled teamed. That means 2 Uconn kids are free. With CW, Megan Danger, Ania/Griffin/Kyla dropping in 3's -the score shall only rise. If she keeps her cool in those situations that will be the greatest "play" Geno ever laid out for his team. Please note: UVa doubed/tripled ONO and check the final score that wasn't by mistake, it was PLANNED!!

Reaction Score
The greatest asset Uconn has is ONO, when she is tripled teamed. That means 2 Uconn kids are free. With CW, Megan Danger, Ania/Griffin/Kyla dropping in 3's -the score shall only rise. If she keeps her cool in those situations that will be the greatest "play" Geno ever laid out for his team. Please note: UVa doubed/tripled ONO and check the final score that wasn't by mistake, it was PLANNED!!

Good point. But let's acknowledge that it wasn't Baylor or Stanford or South Carolina, but only Virginia. The challenge will be very different before long.

Reaction Score
Good point. But let's acknowledge that it wasn't Baylor or Stanford or South Carolina, but only Virginia. The challenge will be very different before long.
May I remind you of the 5 previous games and the exceptional improvement against Virginia.
Of course you are correct and I fully acknowledge USC and Baylor wasn't played. Will this team whup up on those 2 as it did Va? Doubtful. Yet, improvements are improvements and each one get UConn closer to being the team to beat either of those mentioned. No, I won't argue your point, when you are right you are right.

Reaction Score
I saw a picture with current and past UConn players. Stef Dolson was in the picture. Stef was listed at 6'5" when she was at UConn. Take an inch off for exaggeration, and I would say Olivia has to be 6'6".

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I saw a picture with current and past UConn players. Stef Dolson was in the picture. Stef was listed at 6'5" when she was at UConn. Take an inch off for exaggeration, and I would say Olivia has to be 6'6".
Well don't get too carried away. You are probably referring to this pic. Note that Liv is in her shoes and Stef is in socks (with ankle braces).
uconnusa.jpg

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
If you were such a proponent Then why did you continue to incessantly drone on post after post how UConn needed height? :rolleyes:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
May I remind you of the 5 previous games and the exceptional improvement against Virginia.
Of course you are correct and I fully acknowledge USC and Baylor wasn't played. Will this team whup up on those 2 as it did Va? Doubtful. Yet, improvements are improvements and each one get UConn closer to being the team to beat either of those mentioned. No, I won't argue your point, when you are right you are right.
But we have CD (the Original) and if anyone can coach up Liv when she gets double and triple teamed, it's the Greatest Assistant WBB Coach ever!!!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
But we have CD (the Original) and if anyone can coach up Liv when she gets double and triple teamed, it's the Greatest Assistant WBB Coach ever!!!

Liv has improved alot on passing out of double and triple teams. Much more to improve of course but I like how she often dribbles backwards to relieve some of the pressure. Just another box to check off.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Liv has improved alot on passing out of double and triple teams. Much more to improve of course but I like how she often dribbles backwards to relieve some of the pressure. Just another box to check off.
I will admit that I didn't give my opinion of Liv's current game. I am in awe of how she is playing, nothing but great stuff. I only brought up Chris D to point out that Liv is only going to get better and better no matter what future teams throw her way.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I will admit that I didn't give my opinion of Liv's current game. I am in awe of how she is playing, nothing but great stuff. I only brought up Chris D to point out that Liv is only going to get better and better no matter what future teams throw her way.

Sorry @Centerstream. Wanted to reply to @Fairfield Fan :oops::oops:

Reaction Score
Sorry to be a little nit-picky, but I believe the appropriate title is Associate Head Coach... ;) ;)

Reaction Score
Liv has improved immensely and the great thing is she still has a lot of room for improvement, which should have every Husky excited. The way she affects the game is immense, and as Geno said she is the singular most important piece to the team. Her having a bad game she still fills the stat sheet, that's when you know she is uber talented. Looking forward to her growth this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom