UConn stats.... Nika assist record countdown... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn stats.... Nika assist record countdown...

Reaction Score
I, personnaly, hope that Nika will return for a 5th year, then the record would be of 800 +
Yup. I am with you on hoping that Nika returns for a 5th year. Not only would she increase her hold on the assist record but also increases the title chance odds if everyone comes back healthy and develop their skills over the spring and summer.

Reaction Score
Records or not it’s fun to think where our favorite players are as they wind down their careers & their accomplishments. Stats definitely don’t matter in the men’s game. Not with 1 & done.

Reaction Score
So, Nika needs 35 assists in the 1 remaining regular season game, 3 possible Big East Tourny games and as many as 6 NCAA tourny games. Just seven more games at 5 assists each would give her the assist record at 660. (625 + 35 = 660) Very possible...
Nika got 7 tonight to tie Renee @ 632, so only 28 assists to go.

Three Big East Tourney games plus you have to figure at least 3 NCAA Tourney games. At least 3 of those will be tough close games so she's going to play 35+ minutes in most of them.

6 games x 5 assists per game (below average) get her to the record. I'm not worried.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So ... just some data on others:
Sue Bird missed most of her freshman year, but generally freshman don't get a ton of minutes and also tend to have their worst assist/min numbers and minutes/game so she missed her worst statistical games probably. For Sue 118, 3321 min, games played 28.1 min/game. (585 assists)

Nika just played her 123rd game, and 3451st minute, for 28.1 min/game. (632 assists)

Moriah played 155 games, 4130 minutes, for 26.7 min/game. (659 assists)

DT played 144 games, 4218 minutes and 29.3 min/game. (648 assists)

As far as teammates - Paige and Aaliyah are sharp shooters and have been for their careers, and Lou was a nice replacement for the injured Paige for a year. And with all the injuries and changing lineups, I don't think I remember a time when Uconn has had such a PG dominated offense, with Nika being the constant. The other players on the floor are still good passers, but for example when Sue made the single season record at 231 that Nika blew away last year, Diana was also breaking the 200 assist mark.

(And I have never watched any UConn team that didn't seem to blow 50% of their layups. It just goes with the territory of WCBB! :eek:)

Love Nika, who I never thought should be taken out of the starting lineup, even before the injuries came crashing down. Heart and soul of the team and seems to have been from the day she arrived. And she may well break the record at Gampel which would be sweet!

Reaction Score
All that you say is true. But as Geno mentioned all the people in front of Nika were playing alongside future Olympians. They all played seasons with multiple all-Americans to feed (Diana less than others although her highest assist season had several).

Nika leads everybody at 5.09 assists/game over her career and although she has been the starting point guard her upperclasswoman years ( although this year it has been somewhat shared) she only started in 15 games freshman year and 19 sophomore year.

So while qualifying her accomplishments in relation to the points you have raised, it's reasonable to assume as well, if she had played alongside the teammates the others played with her totals would be significantly higher.
If she had just played with healthy teammates her totals would have been much higher! Just imagine what her total would be if she had been dishng to a healthy Paige, Caroline, Aaliyah, Aubrey, Azzi, Lou, Yanna, Jana, and Dorka all this time! (For varied amounts of time, obviously)

Reaction Score
If she had just played with healthy teammates her totals would have been much higher! Just imagine what her total would be if she had been dishng to a healthy Paige, Caroline, Aaliyah, Aubrey, Azzi, Lou, Yanna, Jana, and Dorka all this time! (For varied amounts of time, obviously)
While true, had Paige and Azzi been completely healthy last year, Nika wouldn’t have gotten nearly as much court time. Paige, Azzi, Lou, Aaliyah, and Dorka would’ve been the lineup most likely.

Nika has seized opportunity and deserves to be applauded for stepping up big time.

Reaction Score
Sue Bird missed most of her freshman year, but generally freshman don't get a ton of minutes
Sue Bird was the starting point guard for UConn when she was injured after seven games as a Freshman. Came back for two wonderful years but then her Senior year was beyond belief amazing: the stats don't even begin to tell the story.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Somewhat disappointed in Nikas assist production last night. I'm starting to count the assists as they happen during the game. Nika collected 4 assists in the first 5 minutes of the game but ended up with only 7. I though that she could be on her way to break the mark of 15 that she had last year. She needs at least one big assist game to ensure she has a good chance to break the record. Unfortunately we don't know when the season will end, so the sooner she gets there the better.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Somewhat disappointed in Nikas assist production last night. I'm starting to count the assists as they happen during the game. Nika collected 4 assists in the first 5 minutes of the game but ended up with only 7. I though that she could be on her way to break the mark of 15 that she had last year. She needs at least one big assist game to ensure she has a good chance to break the record. Unfortunately we don't know when the season will end, so the sooner she gets there the better.
Had the Huskies shot a reasonable percentage from the arc, Nika would have easily put up double digit assists. There was a lot of “clanking” and several “air balls” by UConn last night.

Reaction Score
Had the Huskies shot a reasonable percentage from the arc, Nika would have easily put up double digit assists. There was a lot of “clanking” and several “air balls” by UConn last night.
Not to mention a missed wide open lay up.

Reaction Score
I would feel better if she averaged 7 assists a game, that way she does it at Gampel during the first two rounds for the UConn fans.
Getting a little picky now, like being hung with a new rope.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Let’s do a little math. With 7 assists yesterday, Nika is now tied with Renee Montgomery for 4th place on the UConn all-time assist leaderboard with 632. She needs another 28 assists to pass Mo (659) for number 1. Along the way are Jen Rizzoti (637) and DT (648).

It would be shocking if UConn does not have at least 5 more games to play; 3 in the conference tournament and 2 more in the Big Dance. Nika is currently averaging just over 6.4 assists per game. She would need to average only 5.6 assists per game, assuming 5 more games, to hit 660 career assists, breaking the record. Obviously, the farther UConn advances in the Tournament, the more likely it is that Nika pushes the assist record to an amazing level.

Reaction Score
Yes. Plus the layup BBallF mentioned and three open close missed shots and 2-3 open shots not taken after positioning passes (who am I looking at?). I don't ordinarily track stats during a game or do these mental gymnastics but I admit I was counting.

When I'm 120 years old telling my great great grandchildren how super this Nika Mühl person was, this UConn career assist stat is the only obvious evidence I'll have to convince them it's not just more senile blathering.

Last edited:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
What irks me is that more than a few times Nika kicked the ball out, and the recipient had an open shot but immediately after getting the ball just passed it to another player. Everyone is shooting poorly from the 3 pt arc, including Paige. Passing it off to someone who may be a better shooter is not UConns way. If you have a wide-open shot, shoot it. I believe Ashlynn is guilty of this most of the time, so she has to get over the fear of missing and just shoot it. Thinking may be her major problem at this point.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
She would have had at least 12 assists last night if the other players had hit their bunnies. They must have missed at least a dozen lay ups and shots within 6 feet of the basket.

Reaction Score
Let’s do a little math. With 7 assists yesterday, Nika is now tied with Renee Montgomery for 4th place on the UConn all-time assist leaderboard with 632. She needs another 28 assists to pass Mo (659) for number 1. Along the way are Jen Rizzoti (637) and DT (648).

It would be shocking if UConn does not have at least 5 more games to play; 3 in the conference tournament and 2 more in the Big Dance. Nika is currently averaging just over 6.4 assists per game. She would need to average only 5.6 assists per game, assuming 5 more games, to hit 660 career assists, breaking the record. Obviously, the farther UConn advances in the Tournament, the more likely it is that Nika pushes the assist record to an amazing level.
Well, it seems that breaking records is something you do on your home court, so I am in favor of her breaking the record in her last game at Gampel.

Reaction Score
Yup. I am with you on hoping that Nika returns for a 5th year. Not only would she increase her hold on the assist record but also increases the title chance odds if everyone comes back healthy and develop their skills over the spring and summer.
Didn't Geno already say that he suspects Nika is ready for her next challenge or something to that effect indicating she's moving on after the season?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Didn't Geno already say that he suspects Nika is ready for her next challenge or something to that effect indicating she's moving on after the season?
Nika has stated that she will make her decision after the season is over. Some believe that she is going to the W, while others believe that she is going to stay and play another season with her bestie Paige.

Reaction Score
Speaking of Laura Lishness, she was the first Husky to register a triple double. It happened in the BE Tournament final and she wasn't even named to the All Tournament Team, isn't it strange ?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom