UConn stats & KLS injury...the good, bad & ugly | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn stats & KLS injury...the good, bad & ugly

Reaction Score
Molly should get better with more playing time. I understand her problem, maybe trying too hard. I have seen her run through the foul line with her arm up more than once without getting the return pass for the layup but she works hard on her chasing defense and seems rock hard physically. We are pulling for her but being the last scoring option can put a crimp in your shooting confidence. Getting rid of the ball quickly is not a liability since she probably doesn't have the green light to break down a defender when there are open starters. Late in the game, surrounded by freshmen not named Walker, would be Molly's only chance to wheel and deal but, clock winding down, play often turns ugly. She needs to get in the gym and shoot until midnight. (after her homework is done) She's taken care of the fitness part.

Molly apparently has shown Geno something; she's the first of what I call the regular bench, off the bench. She showed last season she's a great passer. Her defense IS better, and must be better than most Frosh (Walkers was Great against Cal). A 5 or more precollege player should understand and see a trap coming--she dibbled into it. Obviously her teammates must see it coming and help her as an outlet for a pass, they didn't. Geno Fixed that in the game. I believe Molly as all of Geno's team has a green light to shoot a shot when they have the better shot, she passes. \
Kiah Stokes and one other couldn't get the team to pass to them --no confidence in her because she rarely took the shot. Molly has the talent and reported to have a high BB I.Q, physically a perfect BB body, no fear in mixing it up, so the only thing holding her back --is between her ears.
I'll bet you 36 cents that Molly in the Gym by her self and a ball chaser, hits 70 percent of her shots or less, once she get the move going.
(The less is a bet hedger)

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
That's an easy one: Walker and Azura are getting a lot of top Five time, as such, they are NOT your normal bench warmers. On the bench below them are 3 freshmen, Molly, Irwin all of the latter have and are spending more time on the bench. I.E. Ms's Stevens and Walker apparently are not regarded by the coaches as long minutes sitters. Clear?? I wasn't postulating--I was posting and I never play CLUE.
It was done by Mr. Broadway, with the keyboard, in the Bone Yard.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I'm not going to quibble about the difference between 67% and 72%. I thought we were in the right ballpark. The steals and one-player fast-breaks reduce the ratio.

I agree about Pheesa not getting the ball in the right place, but things seemed to click better in the second half. I hope things will be back to "normal" soon.

Meg is not Kaleena, but she shot about 45% (I believe) last year. Perhaps more germane, she shot about 75-78% on FTs. As we know, some players--Ketia Swanier, Kia Nurse, Gabby Williams--became better shooters while at UConn. Meg is not a 2-13 shooter in the long run. Her bread and butter is drives to the hoop and pull-ups from 16' and closer. In addition to her shooting, Meg is a capable defender, strong rebounder, and good ball handler. She'll get untracked, especially if Lou is out for a while.

The assists-to-baskets stat relates to overall efficiency...especially the way UConn plays the game So, in my view, even a small decline can be impactful. As a team, UConn shot .527 from the floor last season. Through two games, it's .431 this season.

I'm no expert in analytics but I believe that as the assists-to-baskets rate increases, the team's field goal percentage rises, improving overall performance, as well.

Reaction Score
It was done by Mr. Broadway, with the keyboard, in the Bone Yard.
Son of a gun. I knew the name sounded familiar. How did you spell it? Again. Keyboard you say---hmmmm. I didn't know that keyboard, I never touched that keyboard, I never knew a keyboard---did you say you are here from the government, to help???
There I go postulating again!! (Golden, hope you know this is all kidding)..
The assists-to-baskets stat relates to overall efficiency...especially the way UConn plays the game So, in my view, even a small decline can be impactful. As a team, UConn shot .527 from the floor last season. Through two games, it's .431 this season.

I'm no expert in analytics but I believe that as the assists-to-baskets rate increases, the team's field goal percentage rises, improving overall performance, as well.
In looking at any STATS on any team, especially Uconn, you must take the whole season to compare it to a whole season. Remember towards the end of the last season--the top 5 played longer in more games. No bench in clean up to skew the stats. Two games isn't a great indicator. Stats and analysis require more and more data--the greater number of games the more accurate is the results. This is true of any ma thematic modeling. \But for the first two games yours was a good analysis. The assist ratio is good in showing that one or two players didn't have the ball in only their hands while they built up points for themselves.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I think assists-per-basket and shooting efficiency are related. Getting the ball to players in good scoring positions should increase the assists-per-basket and shooting percentage. But when players miss, there is no assist or basket. Thus, the ratio is unaffected by that shot. On the other hand, the shooting percentage drops. Great passing should help the assists-per-basket ratio, but only if the shooting is also good. In our 2 games this season, I'd say the passing has been pretty good, but the shooting has been off, especially against Stanford.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score

Oh, for heavens sake. The difference between 66.7% and 72% over 30 baskets is one and a half assists.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Through the first two games of last season, UConn shot 0.440.

Reaction Score
Through the first two games of last season, UConn shot 0.440.

Thank you for this post.
Since UConn"s ooc schedule is much more challenging than it's conference schedule, it makes little sense to compare last year's overall stats to the first 2 or 3 games (all against top 20 opponents).
Better would be to compare last year's ooc stats with this year's ooc stats (which is what Plebe did). Even then, you run into the problem of the small statistical sample available this early in the season.
Let's see how this year's ooc stats line up against last year's after 10 games or so. My prediction is that they will be very close.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Thank you for this post.
Since UConn"s ooc schedule is much more challenging than it's conference schedule, it makes little sense to compare last year's overall stats to the first 2 or 3 games (all against top 20 opponents).
Better would be to compare last year's ooc stats with this year's ooc stats (which is what Plebe did). Even then, you run into the problem of the small statistical sample available this early in the season.
Let's see how this year's ooc stats line up against last year's after 10 games or so. My prediction is that they will be very close.

As an FYI, this kind of comparison is trivial to do by using my per-40-minutes spreadsheets. You just drag together the tabs for the games you want to summarize. Then drag the Season Start to the left side of the group and the Reg Season End tab to the right end. The Reg Season Summary tab will now show you the stats for those games only.

Just remember to NOT save the spreadsheet after you do this :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom