UConn stats & KLS injury...the good, bad & ugly | The Boneyard

UConn stats & KLS injury...the good, bad & ugly

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Katie Lou injury 2.jpeg

UConn's 82-47 beatdown of California was just like a Sergio Leone movie starring Clint Eastwood. There were good stats, there were bad stats & then there certainly was ugly. (See picture above.) The Huskies move to 2-0, but unlike the movie ending, UConn fans are holding their collective breath to see how this injury plays out. The hero is all right in the end, right..?? :(

The Good stats
1. Crystal Dangerfield -Crystal Dangerfield picked up right where she left off w/ Stanford. 4-5 on threes, 4 assists w/ 0 turnovers, 14 points in just 26 minutes. Looks in complete control of the offense. :cool:
2. Balanced scoring - Six players in double figures scoring 14, 14, 14, 13, 12 and 11 points for the game. Who you going to cover?
3. Defense - UConn's defense is in mid to late season form. After holding the Bears to 24 points in the 1st half, the Huskies held Cal to 3 third period points. Three points, while scoring 22. And, this was w/out Katie Lou.
4. Free throws - The starters plus Megan went 14-16 from the charity stripe. That's 87.5%. :D
5. Assists & rebounds - The Huskies had 20 assists on 30 baskets w/ great ball movement and 13 offensive rebounds.

The Bad stats
1. Turnovers vs baskets - California had 29 turnovers and only 20 baskets. Credit the Husky defense..! ;)
2. Fouls & free throws - The Bears also had 19 personal fouls giving UConn 18 free throws.
3. UConn's bench - Minus Z and Megan, the bench once again played hard, but finished w/ 0 points on 0-5 shooting.
4. Megan - Walker did play 20 good minutes, but only went 1-9 from the floor. However, she added 5 rebounds, 1 nice block, and a steal.
5. 4th quarter defense - UConn once again gave up 20 points in the 4th quarter, after holding Cal to 27 in 3 quarters. In defense of the Huskies, Anigwe, Cal's best player had 8 of her 14 points long after Geno cleared the bench. :mad:

The Ugly
Katie Lou went down with 4:02 left in the 2nd period. Geno described it as a "mid-foot sprain." Medical experts on the Boneyard have other diagnosis, some more serious. Only time and lots of ice will tell. Hoping for the best..!

Go Huskies..!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
thanks so much as always for the great stats and insights.

Glad that folks are noticing that Megan is having difficulties on offense, because we all noted the same 2 years ago about Lou--and of course she turned out to be the dud that we all feared. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
What a blessing a bench makes. Lou goes out, insert Z, don't miss a beat. Doubtless Z will start in KLS's absence, so the team will remain solid and consistent. Z's confidence and understanding of her role is growing. Geno says that Meg has separated herself from the other frosh, and my guess is that Walker will take Gabby's place next year. That said, we're very fortunate that we have the ability now to reload w/out having to change our game. It's ironic to note that as Lou has upped her defensive activity she has also put her somewhat injury-prone feet in jeopardy. We all wish her a quick and complete recovery.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
View attachment 26256

4. Free throws - The starters plus Megan went 14-16 from the charity stripe. That's 87.5%. :D

Re: free throws, when I was checking out box scores of Thursday's games, I was appalled at the free-throw shooting of several decent to top-10 teams.

South Carolina: 41%
Clemson: 42%

Michigan: 42%

Mississippi St: 59%

Mizzou: 67%, missing 12 free throws in a squeaker vs. Wright St

Not all of these teams can make a legitimate run at the Final Four, but they're not gonna get there missing that many foul shots.

[edited to correct a typo]

Last edited:
Reaction Score
View attachment 26256

UConn's 82-47 beatdown of California was just like a Sergio Leone movie starring Clint Eastwood. There were good stats, there were bad stats & then there certainly was ugly. (See picture above.) The Huskies move to 2-0, but unlike the movie ending, UConn fans are holding their collective breath to see how this injury plays out. The hero is all right in the end, right..?? :(

The Good stats
1. Crystal Dangerfield -Crystal Dangerfield picked up right where she left off w/ Stanford. 4-5 on threes, 4 assists w/ 0 turnovers, 14 points in just 26 minutes. Looks in complete control of the offense. :cool:
2. Balanced scoring - Six players in double figures scoring 14, 14, 14, 13, 12 and 11 points for the game. Who you going to cover?
3. Defense - UConn's defense is in mid to late season form. After holding the Bears to 24 points in the 1st half, the Huskies held Cal to 3 third period points. Three points, while scoring 22. And, this was w/out Katie Lou.
5. Assists & rebounds - The Huskies had 20 assists on 30 baskets w/ great ball movement and 13 offensive rebounds.

The Bad stats
1. Turnovers vs baskets - California had 29 turnovers and only 20 baskets. Credit the Husky defense..! ;)
2. Fouls & free throws - The Bears also had 19 personal fouls giving UConn 18 free throws.
3. UConn's bench - Minus Z and Megan, the bench once again played hard, but finished w/ 0 points on 0-5 shooting.
4. Megan - Walker did play 20 good minutes, but only went 1-9 from the floor. However, she added 5 rebounds, 1 nice block, and a steal.
5. 4th quarter defense - UConn once again gave up 20 points in the 4th quarter, after holding Cal to 27 in 3 quarters. In defense of the Huskies, Anigwe, Cal's best player had 8 of her 14 points long after Geno cleared the bench. :mad:

The Ugly
Katie Lou went down with 4:02 left in the 2nd period. Geno described it as a "mid-foot sprain." Medical experts on the Boneyard have other diagnosis, some more serious. Only time and lots of ice will tell. Hoping for the best..!

Go Huskies..!!
View attachment 26256

The Good stats

The Bad stats

The Ugly

Go Huskies..!!
David:
As the resident stat guru do you know when the last time UConn held an opponent to less than 5 points in a quarter two games in a row

Reaction Score
Re: free throws, when I was checking out box scored of Thursday's games, I was appalled at the free-throw shooting of several decent to top-10 teams.

South Carolina: 41%
Clemson: 42%

Michigan: 42%

Mississippi St: 59%

Mizzou: 67%, missing 12 free throws in a squeaker vs. Wright St

Not all of these teams can make a legitimate run at the Final Four, but they're not gonna get there missing that many foul shots.
Just guessing that it's a product of the early season, where the players aren't yet in the very best game conditioning and are a bit out of breath when they're shooting fouls. Wonder if we could track changes in foul shooting percentages from the first game to (say) the 10th game. Just guessin'.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
It appears that Geno is giving Molly Bent every opportunity with significant minutes in the first two games.

So far, we've seen little to be optimistic about her play. It's probably unfair to compare her progress to what Crystal has accomplished from last year but I did expect to see some improvement in her game. She's still tentative when bringing the ball up the floor, flinching when the opposition gets near her and panicking when doubled witness her turnover. Looks to pass almost immediately when she gets the ball. She's active on D but still has trouble moving side to side.

In short, her performance on the offense has produced little and her D still needs lots of work.

If this continues I can see her minutes declining especially when they face top non-conference foes.

Reaction Score
It appears that Geno is giving Molly Bent every opportunity with significant minutes in the first two games.

So far, we've seen little to be optimistic about her play. It's probably unfair to compare her progress to what Crystal has accomplished from last year but I did expect to see some improvement in her game. She's still tentative when bringing the ball up the floor, flinching when the opposition gets near her and panicking when doubled witness her turnover. Looks to pass almost immediately when she gets the ball. She's active on D but still has trouble moving side to side.

In short, her performance on the offense has produced little and her D still needs lots of work.

If this continues I can see her minutes declining especially when they face top non-conference foes.
Agree with much of your analysis, but not your prediction. It's frustrating that she doesn't look for the open shot herself, but I think she impresses Geno with her hustle and hard-nosed defense. With Lou and Batouly out, she may well continue to be the next one in after Megan and get a reasonable amount of playing time.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
David:
As the resident stat guru do you know when the last time UConn held an opponent to less than 5 points in a quarter two games in a row

Last season, UConn held Chattanooga to 5 points in a period (3rd period), then DePaul to 6 points (1st period) and then Texas to 5 points (4th period) in consecutive games. Not exactly what you asked, but close. In the next two games, UConn held Notre Dame to 9 points (3rd period) and Kansas State to 8 points (1st period). That is five straight games where an opponent was held under 10 points in one period. Not too bad..!!

P.S. - I believe UConn held opponents under 10 points in a period 23 times last season. The record low was 2 points by SMU.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
View attachment 26256

The Good stats

The Bad stats

The Ugly

Go Huskies..!!
Twenty assists on 30 baskets is not a good stat...at least by UConn standards. The team averaged 72% assists-to-baskets last season.

To me, the offense looks out of synch in that neither of the Score Sisters seem to be getting the ball where they're most effective. The five-foot bank shots don't appear to be as plentiful for Pheesa and she seems to be spending more time outside the paint than last season while Lou doesn't appear to be getting as many open looks from behind arc as we're accustomed to seeing. Yes, perhaps it's just a function of them expanding their games.

Was Meg a good outside shooter in high school or did she mostly use her physical assets to get to the rim for easier buckets? I wouldn't nickname her "clang" yet but she's 2-13 in her first two games. Small sample, I know. Still plenty of time to find the range.

Yes indeed, Go Huskies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Twenty assists on 30 baskets is not a good stat...at least by UConn standards. The team averaged 72% assists-to-baskets last season.

To me, the offense looks out of synch in that neither of the Score Sisters seem to be getting the ball where they're most effective. The five-foot bank shots don't appear to be as plentiful for Pheesa and she seems to be spending more time outside the paint than last season while Lou doesn't appear to be getting as many open looks from behind arc as we're accustomed to seeing. Yes, perhaps it's just a function of them expanding their games.

Was Meg a good outside shooter in high school or did she mostly use her physical assets to get to the rim for easier buckets? I wouldn't nickname her "clang" yet but she's 2-13 in her first two games. Small sample, I know. Still plenty of time to find the range.

Yes indeed, Go Huskies.
I'm not going to quibble about the difference between 67% and 72%. I thought we were in the right ballpark. The steals and one-player fast-breaks reduce the ratio.

I agree about Pheesa not getting the ball in the right place, but things seemed to click better in the second half. I hope things will be back to "normal" soon.

Meg is not Kaleena, but she shot about 45% (I believe) last year. Perhaps more germane, she shot about 75-78% on FTs. As we know, some players--Ketia Swanier, Kia Nurse, Gabby Williams--became better shooters while at UConn. Meg is not a 2-13 shooter in the long run. Her bread and butter is drives to the hoop and pull-ups from 16' and closer. In addition to her shooting, Meg is a capable defender, strong rebounder, and good ball handler. She'll get untracked, especially if Lou is out for a while.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
View attachment 26256

The Good stats

The Bad stats

The Ugly

Go Huskies..!!
I liked the improved FT shooting, though some of that was due to Lou. We were a little shaky from the line against Stanford and in the pre-season games. In 2016, we led the nation at 80%. Last year, we were very good at 78%, but several misses cost us dearly against Mississippi State.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to quibble about the difference between 67% and 72%. I thought we were in the right ballpark. The steals and one-player fast-breaks reduce the ratio.

I agree about Pheesa not getting the ball in the right place, but things seemed to click better in the second half. I hope things will be back to "normal" soon.

Meg is not Kaleena, but she shot about 45% (I believe) last year. Perhaps more germane, she shot about 75-78% on FTs. As we know, some players--Ketia Swanier, Kia Nurse, Gabby Williams--became better shooters while at UConn. Meg is not a 2-13 shooter in the long run. Her bread and butter is drives to the hoop and pull-ups from 16' and closer. In addition to her shooting, Meg is a capable defender, strong rebounder, and good ball handler. She'll get untracked, especially if Lou is out for a while.
Agree with You...the assist per basket percentage will likely rise as the season progresses and the team meshes more...and after only 2 games, 2 of 3 isn't much different than 3 of 4... Also, I fully expect Meg to get a lot more time if Lou doesn't return soon. She'll gain more experience playing with most of the starters and gain more confidence in herself. This will only help to make the Huskies a STRONGER for the Championship run.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Agree with You...the assist per basket percentage will likely rise as the season progresses and the team meshes more...and after only 2 games, 2 of 3 isn't much different than 3 of 4... Also, I fully expect Meg to get a lot more time if Lou doesn't return soon. She'll gain more experience playing with most of the starters and gain more confidence in herself. This will only help to make the Huskies a STRONGER for the Championship run.
In 2007-8, both Kalana and Mel went down with injuries. Geno had to give more PT to that year's #1 recruit. As I recall, Maya was a consensus All-American. I don't expect that from Meg this year, but more playing time and repetition will make her a much better player.

Reaction Score
For sure UConns defense is really good, but Cal's ineffective passing helped to account for most of those turnovers. The loss of Cayton really hurt Cal in that respect. Had she played it wouldn't have changed the outcome but the numbers would have looked better. The main reason is that with her out Cowling morphed back into being a distributor. When you have 9 turnovers and 8 of those are on really bad passes it says it all. They used her a couple of years ago when via injuries, transfers and suspensions they ended up with only one viable guard. Because she was used out of necessity she began to believe she was actually a decent passer while the numbers certainly attest that she is not.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score

Molly is not progreesing at hoped !

Reaction Score
View attachment 26256

The Good stats

The Bad stats

The Ugly

Go Huskies..!!
While I am a great fan of your TESTS; this analysis is equal or better.
In the 3rd qtr Geno did a bit more mixing and matching--chemistry takes time to develop. The latter part of the 4th it was nearly all Bench, heavily Frosh, with Z.\ Comment on Anegwe; She scored against Z, she and Z enjoyed playing against each other--why?
I think we need a forceful statement to all Uconn fans: Azura Stevens and Megan Walker are not registered owners of the BENCH.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
What a blessing a bench makes. Lou goes out, insert Z, don't miss a beat. Doubtless Z will start in KLS's absence, so the team will remain solid and consistent. Z's confidence and understanding of her role is growing. Geno says that Meg has separated herself from the other frosh, and my guess is that Walker will take Gabby's place next year. That said, we're very fortunate that we have the ability now to reload w/out having to change our game. It's ironic to note that as Lou has upped her defensive activity she has also put her somewhat injury-prone feet in jeopardy. We all wish her a quick and complete recovery.[/QUOTE
]
Yes, but she got hurt while on an offensive play.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
....I think we need a forceful statement to all Uconn fans: Azura Stevens and Megan Walker are not registered owners of the BENCH.
Broadway, I am missing something here as I have no clue what you are postulating-would you kindly enlighten me?

Reaction Score

Yes indeed, Go Huskies.
Just remember Turasi when she was a freshman. And the Notre dame game. I think she rebounded pretty good from that season. I think Meg is going to be a star.

Reaction Score
I am not sure why everyone is stressing so much about the defense of the "second unit." There is a reason why they are the second unit. Either because of physical limitations or lack of experience they are not going to be as effective as the first unit. The real question is are they playing against the first line unit of the opponents and what do you think they would be able to do against the second unit of their opponents?

As a fan base, UConn supporters are the crankiest people in the world when you consider that the team won the game by 35 points.

Reaction Score
Agree with much of your analysis, but not your prediction. It's frustrating that she doesn't look for the open shot herself, but I think she impresses Geno with her hustle and hard-nosed defense. With Lou and Batouly out, she may well continue to be the next one in after Megan and get a reasonable amount of playing time.

Molly should get better with more playing time. I understand her problem, maybe trying too hard. I have seen her run through the foul line with her arm up more than once without getting the return pass for the layup but she works hard on her chasing defense and seems rock hard physically. We are pulling for her but being the last scoring option can put a crimp in your shooting confidence. Getting rid of the ball quickly is not a liability since she probably doesn't have the green light to break down a defender when there are open starters. Late in the game, surrounded by freshmen not named Walker, would be Molly's only chance to wheel and deal but, clock winding down, play often turns ugly. She needs to get in the gym and shoot until midnight. (after her homework is done) She's taken care of the fitness part.

Reaction Score
Broadway, I am missing something here as I have no clue what you are postulating-would you kindly enlighten me?
That's an easy one: Walker and Azura are getting a lot of top Five time, as such, they are NOT your normal bench warmers. On the bench below them are 3 freshmen, Molly, Irwin all of the latter have and are spending more time on the bench. I.E. Ms's Stevens and Walker apparently are not regarded by the coaches as long minutes sitters. Clear?? I wasn't postulating--I was posting and I never play CLUE.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom