UConn stats....final game in Italy..!! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn stats....final game in Italy..!!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
From hugefan :
Don't think any starters played in second half, seems like Geno wanted the loss.

I will assume Crystal also didn't play the seong half.

Because UConn played them even for a half, I'm not going to concern myself. This was the last game of the series. Geno saw everything he needed to.

When he put the freshmen out there in the second half, he knew exactly what he was doing, and no doubt anticipated the final results.

No need for alarm. Remember the starters held a 1 point advantage at the half. It was the freshmen that were blown out. That is to be expected given their youth and level of competition experience to this point.

The starters held their own (without Collier) against a championship professional team for 20 minutes. If they had to, they could have done it for another 20 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I will admit that I don't have a good knowledge of HS WBB players and their rankings, but how can a No.1 ranked player (Megan) be knocked because she can't shoot? I am confused by this...

Walker won countless games for her HS team, sometimes with her scoring, sometimes with her defense or rebounding, many in the final seconds..................her mid range game is excellent but she is not a consistent outside shooter at this point...............I'm pretty confident that by the time she leaves UConn she will be a vital contributor to multiple national championships teams

Reaction Score
Trying to suss out Celje's team. Two things stick out: first, they're tall, with several 6 feet and over players, and two 6'4" or taller. But the other curiosity is how young they are. There is only one player over the age of 20, and she is only 22 (Oderah Chidom). So though they are professionals, they appear to be the equivalent of freshmen and sophomores in U.S. colleges.

Cinkarna Celje basketball, News, Roster, Rumors, Stats, Awards, Transactions, Details - eurobasket

Makes me wonder whether Cenkarna Celje is a sort of minor league feeder team to some of the more prominent pro teams in Europe. But I'm only guessing here.

Also two starters from Bosnia-Herzegovina, one from Slovenia, though the team is based there, one from Croatia, and the one American.

Reaction Score
Because UConn played them even for a half, I'm not going to concern myself. This was the last game of the series. Geno saw everything he needed to.

When he put the freshmen out there in the second half, he knew exactly what he was doing, and no doubt anticipated the final results.

No need for alarm. Remember the starters held a 1 point advantage at the half. It was the freshmen that were blown out. That is to be expected given their youth and level of competition experience to this point.

The starters held their own (without Collier) against a championship professional team for 20 minutes. If they had to, they could have done it for another 20 minutes.
An article I read said Lou suffered an injury in the first half and did not play again in the second half. I don't know what the injury is but a later summation said there were two minor injuries for the whole trip, I'm assuming that is Lou and Phee. Lou had problems with her foot at the U23 camp so she may have aggravated that. It also appears that Molly and Kyla got some big minutes. The limited video I saw reflected that as well as a lot of playing time for Walker and Hunter. Saw/heard nothing about Coombs and Camara.

A lot of European players go pro after 12th grade (or whatever it is over there)..... they don't have the restrictions like the WNBA so a 21 or 22 yo might have 3 or 4 years pro experience.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Did Lexi make the trip?
Yes but didn't play the games. See this photo for all 13 UConn rosters.

12799266.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hate reading too much into anything in August but what do you make out of that?
used to be NCAA rules prohibited freshmen making these trips ...... limited practice, limited conditioning, school isn't even in session yet. When's first night? eight weeks away? I wouldn't read anything in to it all .... heck I don't think Geno made all 10/11 practices before the trip.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Walker won countless games for her HS team, sometimes with her scoring, sometimes with her defense or rebounding, many in the final seconds...her mid range game is excellent but she is not a consistent outside shooter at this point.....I'm pretty confident that by the time she leaves UConn she will be a vital contributor to multiple national championships teams
I am not questioning her abilities or her No.1 ranking, I am sure she is and will continue to be a fantastic ball player. I just had a slight issue with the idea of a No.1 ranked player being "knocked" by the media but I am over it.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I certainly wouldn't sweat the outcome of the game vs the Slovenian professional team. While winning is always nice, the primary purpose of the trip to Italy for the Huskies was a team bonding experience with Geno trying some different combinations and getting everyone some PT.

Without Pheesa UConn battled a talented Slovenian team and held a halftime lead. I have no doubt that the Huskies would have prevailed had Geno felt that winning the game was more important than playing his reserves and freshmen.

November will be here soon and the games will be for real. :)

Reaction Score
One bit of evidence. Her senior year, she hit a poor 42-144 on threes (29%). And of course that is with the somewhat closer HS line and against slower and shorter defenders than she will face in college.

Poor 3 pt shooting apparently isn't very high on the list of qualities that put you on top of your class. DeShields shot unde 28% as a freshman (48-172) and was named NFOY.

Reaction Score
Any leeway from you all becuase the girls were playing a professional team???
This is one tough group -- if they played the USA Olympic team and lost by 20---some would be asking What Happened???
  • A Geno Uconn Geno team played a Sue Dt led USA team and lost by under 10--Geno was upset they didn't hold on for the win--only 4 points behind with 3 minutes to go.

Reaction Score
I certainly wouldn't sweat the outcome of the game vs the Slovenian professional team. While winning is always nice, the primary purpose of the trip to Italy for the Huskies was a team bonding experience with Geno trying some different combinations and getting everyone some PT.

Without Pheesa UConn battled a talented Slovenian team and held a halftime lead. I have no doubt that the Huskies would have prevailed had Geno felt that winning the game was more important than playing his reserves and freshmen.

November will be here soon and the games will be for real. :)
I agree ,as another poster said--Geno was probably working the non starting (last year) and frosh for a loss--to have talking points until the games begin. From the Stats they didn't embarrass themselves. If they come back from Italy as bonded as Shea (as a player) and her team did--that would be ice cream on that cake.

Reaction Score
Agree with oldude and BroadwayVa. Not basketball but team bonding.

In fact, most likely Geno doesn't want the team thinking about who's starting, who's getting playing time etc. There are now 2 months before formal practices start, followed by a long season with the pressures of enormously high expectations. Geno doesn't want to add to that with the team spending the next 2 months worrying about what were essentially 4 pick up games.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Meg is not KML, but she'll become a solid shooter. Ketia Swainer had side-spin on her shots at the beginning of her career. By her senior year, she was a competent 3-point shooter. Instruction, form, and repetition.

If need be, Jon Samuelson or Kaleena can tutor.

Reaction Score
Agree with oldude and BroadwayVa. Not basketball but team bonding.

In fact, most likely Geno doesn't want the team thinking about who's starting, who's getting playing time etc. There are now 2 months before formal practices start, followed by a long season with the pressures of enormously high expectations. Geno doesn't want to add to that with the team spending the next 2 months worrying about what were essentially 4 pick up games.

I like the ---Essentially 4 pickup games----factual and accurate!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom