UConn stats....final game in Italy..!! | The Boneyard

UConn stats....final game in Italy..!!

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
pre game.PNG

As UConn wraps up a successful trip to Italy, here are stats that probably matter most.
* 10 days :cool:
* 7 cities (I think..)
* 5 uncomfortable beds (minimum) :mad:
* 4 games (3-1 record)
* 2 minor injuries, not reported as serious
* at least 1 meal each, that didn't quite work out :rolleyes:
* and finally, an unlimited amount of fun and bonding with team mates..!! :)

For the final game, the box score was hard to follow, did not list minutes, but revealed these stats of interest...
1. Lou missed on 5 of 6 three point shots, but was 6-8 from inside the arc. ;) 17 points total.
2. Napheesa and Alexis Gordon appear not to have played.
3. Gabby was Gabbulous..! 12 points, 5 assists, 4 rebounds, 2 steals and took 6 of UConn's 11 free throws.
4. Megan Walker played a ton of minutes.. 13 points on 14 shots, made 2-4 from three range, 10 rebounds..!!
5. Crystal with 6 assists, 3 steals, made both free throws :D
6. Huskies with 18 assists on 22 baskets. Bad news is they missed 47 shots..:eek:
7. Azura looks to have played limited minutes, took only 1 shot, but made it from three arc.

Given the first set of stats, the travel, weird but delicious food, different beds, constant sightseeing, etc... this was a very successful trip for Geno, the staff and the players. No serious injuries and great bonding with new players can only help this season..!!

Go Huskies..!!

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
View attachment 24261

As UConn wraps up a successful trip to Italy, here are stats that probably matter most.
* 10 days :cool:
* 7 cities (I think..)
* 5 uncomfortable beds (minimum) :mad:
* 4 games (3-1 record)
* 2 minor injuries, not reported as serious
* at least 1 meal each, that didn't quite work out :rolleyes:
* and finally, an unlimited amount of fun and bonding with team mates..!! :)

For the final game, the box score was hard to follow, did not list minutes, but revealed these stats of interest...
1. Lou missed on 5 of 6 three point shots, but was 6-8 from inside the arc. ;) 17 points total.
2. Napheesa and Alexis Gordon appear not to have played.
3. Gabby was Gabbulous..! 12 points, 5 assists, 4 rebounds, 2 steals and took 6 of UConn's 11 free throws.
4. Megan Walker played a ton of minutes.. 13 points on 14 shots, made 2-4 from three range, 10 rebounds..!!
5. Crystal with 6 assists, 3 steals, made both free throws :D
6. Huskies with 18 assists on 22 baskets. Bad news is they missed 47 shots..:eek:
7. Azura looks to have played limited minutes, took only 1 shot, but made it from three arc.

Given the first set of stats, the travel, weird but delicious food, different beds, constant sightseeing, etc... this was a very successful trip for Geno, the staff and the players. No serious injuries and great bonding with new players can only help this season..!!

Go Huskies..!!

I wish we had minutes analysis. Head bang

Apparently, at the half, it was reported that

#Huskies lead Celje 37-36 at half. Celje is outrebounding #UConn and is shooting 57% ... Lou has 17 and Gabby 11 and 4 assts. #HuskItaly

So Lou has 0 and Gabby has 1 pt after half. Did Geno decide to give the newbies the second half? Probably not since it was so close but could our 2 biggest threats (without Naphessa) be shutout if they played meaningful minutes in the second half? Maybe some black market video will surface?:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I wish we had minutes analysis. Head bang

Apparently, at the half, it was reported that

#Huskies lead Celje 37-36 at half. Celje is outrebounding #UConn and is shooting 57% ... Lou has 17 and Gabby 11 and 4 assts. #HuskItaly

So Lou has 0 and Gabby has 1 pt after half. Did Geno decide to give the newbies the second half? Probably not since it was so close but could our 2 biggest threats (without Naphessa) be shutout if they played meaningful minutes in the second half? Maybe some black market video will surface?:rolleyes:
Final score is 59-79.
So UConn scored only 22 pts and Celje scored 43 pts in the second half ?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
This kid, Megan, 10 rebounds, knows how and where to find the balls.
Hopefully, in time, she'll find the basket as well. Geno must be pleased with the rest of her game and that is all that matters.

Reaction Score
Hopefully, in time, she'll find the basket as well. Geno must be pleased with the rest of her game and that is all that matters.

That has been the "knock" on Walker since high school. She can do a lot of things very well on the basketball court, shooting the ball well isn't one of them. She has a pretty jump shot with no glaring mechanical flaws but she just can't seem to consistently knock down her shots. I think it's only a matter of time before she fine tunes her shot and we will see a jump in shooting percentage.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I will admit that I don't have a good knowledge of HS WBB players and their rankings, but how can a No.1 ranked player (Megan) be knocked because she can't shoot? I am confused by this...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
So in the second half, both KLS and Naphessa were out, plus Gabby, Kia and Z didn't play at all. No wonder UConn lost the game.

Where do you see this info "plus Gabby, Kia and Z didn't play at all. " ??

Also in the article, Celje’s top two scorers, meanwhile, dropped 41 and 34 points respectively.

How could we lose to a team that seems to be so unbalanced???

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Any leeway from you all becuase the girls were playing a professional team???

Reaction Score
I will admit that I don't have a good knowledge of HS WBB players and their rankings, but how can a No.1 ranked player (Megan) be knocked because she can't shoot? I am confused by this...

What's confusing? There are a lot of other skills involved in basketball than just shooting. Walker has good size for her position, she can rebound, run the floor, create her own shot, get to the rim, plays good defense, passes the ball well, etc.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Also in the article, Celje’s top two scorers, meanwhile, dropped 41 and 34 points respectively.

From hugefan :
Don't think any starters played in second half, seems like Geno wanted the loss.

I will assume Crystal also didn't play the seong half.

Reaction Score
This kid, Megan, 10 rebounds, knows how and where to find the balls.
During the season I would say Megan playing "a ton of minutes" was thought highly of by Geno--but this was a fun trip--so I have no idea whether Geno thought her great or needed more time

Reaction Score

One bit of evidence. Her senior year, she hit a poor 42-144 on threes (29%). And of course that is with the somewhat closer HS line and against slower and shorter defenders than she will face in college.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score

Right. A "staff report" means it was written in the office. Putting a dateline on the piece because a half-dozen fans gave their biased and unprofessional opinion of what they witnessed should have Ben Bradlee rolling over in his grave. I wouldn't put a great deal of confidence in this "report."

That said, the most benign explanation for UConn's decisive defeat would be that Geno, having seen his top line players compete on even terms with one of Europe's best professional teams for two quarters, decided to let his freshmen get most of the second half minutes. At a minimum. that's the scenario that has the benefit of requiring Boneyarders to spend the least time in therapy.

As for the newbies, all the kids come to UConn having been the best player on their team. They're usually the best player in their league, sometimes the best player in their state and, not all that infrequently, the best player in the country. They have talent and confidence but most can't hope to match performance to potential until they gain some experience, understanding and, importantly, humility.

DT talked about how Geno "tears you down and builds you up." It's a process. UConn--freshmen included--will be fine. So will you. Don't waste your money on therapy.

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I guess a No.1 ranked player can be knocked in the media. I am guessing that KLS wasn't praised for her HS defensive skills... I will stop now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom