UConn stats... Are there enough minutes for everyone to play? | The Boneyard

UConn stats... Are there enough minutes for everyone to play?

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
With the lineup for 2024-25 pretty much set, are there enough minutes to play all the talent? Unlike last season, this year will hopefully feature lots of competition for game time. Four talented new players replaced the two that graduated and the two that transferred. Azzi, Ayanna, Caroline and Aubrey will all hopefully return from injury and regain their pre-injury form. So, how does Geno find minutes to play what appears to be a very deep roster from 1 to 14?
Consider:
1. There ae 200 minutes of playing time in every typical game. (5 x 40)
2. Nika and Aaliyah played 2,371 total minutes. That is about 63 minutes per in a normal season.
3. Ines and Amari played 260 minutes total, which is about 6 more minutes.
4. KK and Ashlynn averaged 30 and 31 minutes per game. Quality subs could reduce that necessity by 7-8 minutes per game.
5, Finally, Aubrey may take until mid-season to be 100% and ready to play. Her 306 minutes are available to start the season.
6. So, as many as 90-100 minutes per game may be available. (rough estimate)

So, departing players and a deeper roster may free up 90-100 minutes for Geno and staff to use each game. That leaves Geno with two (?) starters to replace and some high quality reserves to work into the line up. Possible solutions:
1. Start Ashlynn and work Azzi slowly into a greater role, to start the season. Azzi uses 15-18 minutes initially.
2. Use Kaitlyn & KK at the point with each getting 18-22 minutes each.
3. Use Paige at the 3 spot and cut her heavy load to 28 minutes per game (from 32 min.) and work Sarah Strong between 17-20 minutes at 3 & 4.
4. Use Jana at the 5, using many (25?) of Liya's minutes. Use Ice at the 4/5 for 22 minutes. She averaged 17.5 so only have to add 4.5 minutes.
5. Caroline (at 3 and 4) and Ayanna (at 4 and 5) are quality subs, but the minutes are running out. What about Q? She averaged 12 per game.
6. Finally, what about Allie and Morgan? New but very talented...

Oh, I give up. ;) Glad this is Geno and CD's job to figure out. Just hope everyone is healthy and fighting for game time..!!
Go Huskies..!!

Reaction Score
Yes. Everyone can play in blowouts - which should be many,.

But no-- once the team is healthy - you play you're best and more than likely 5/6/7 maybe 8 players have separated themselves. . For example Paige should be playing 35-40 minutes in tight games.

Reaction Score
With everyone who is on the court playing smothering defense and a run and gun offense there will be more reason to give everyone a "blow". Last years starters played a lot of minutes so I expect with a number of players coming back from injuries will eat some of that up but slowly until they know they are healed. And our 4 Freshmen (including Jana) will each get a share and Geno will just have to see who the best 5 are and who can step in for them.

Reaction Score
With the lineup for 2024-25 pretty much set, are there enough minutes to play all the talent? Unlike last season, this year will hopefully feature lots of competition for game time. Four talented new players replaced the two that graduated and the two that transferred. Azzi, Ayanna, Caroline and Aubrey will all hopefully return from injury and regain their pre-injury form. So, how does Geno find minutes to play what appears to be a very deep roster from 1 to 14?
Consider:
1. There ae 200 minutes of playing time in every typical game. (5 x 40)
2. Nika and Aaliyah played 2,371 total minutes. That is about 63 minutes per in a normal season.
3. Ines and Amari played 260 minutes total, which is about 6 more minutes.
4. KK and Ashlynn averaged 30 and 31 minutes per game. Quality subs could reduce that necessity by 7-8 minutes per game.
5, Finally, Aubrey may take until mid-season to be 100% and ready to play. Her 306 minutes are available to start the season.
6. So, as many as 90-100 minutes per game may be available. (rough estimate)

So, departing players and a deeper roster may free up 90-100 minutes for Geno and staff to use each game. That leaves Geno with two (?) starters to replace and some high quality reserves to work into the line up. Possible solutions:
1. Start Ashlynn and work Azzi slowly into a greater role, to start the season. Azzi uses 15-18 minutes initially.
2. Use Kaitlyn & KK at the point with each getting 18-22 minutes each.
3. Use Paige at the 3 spot and cut her heavy load to 28 minutes per game (from 32 min.) and work Sarah Strong between 17-20 minutes at 3 & 4.
4. Use Jana at the 5, using many (25?) of Liya's minutes. Use Ice at the 4/5 for 22 minutes. She averaged 17.5 so only have to add 4.5 minutes.
5. Caroline (at 3 and 4) and Ayanna (at 4 and 5) are quality subs, but the minutes are running out. What about Q? She averaged 12 per game.
6. Finally, what about Allie and Morgan? New but very talented...

Oh, I give up. ;) Glad this is Geno and CD's job to figure out. Just hope everyone is healthy and fighting for game time..!!
Go Huskies..!!
why does this post remind me of a complicated algebra problem which was the worst subject...thx for the flashback and painful reminder...lol...Since Paige has a 3.64 GPA I'm sure she'll figure it out for Geno as a condition for her returning another year..lol

Reaction Score
Whoa. Very impressive DavidinNaples et al, but this is getting way too complicated. I'm sure someone on every team whether basketball, baseball or other is tasked with following these kind of data but frankly, I don't think this is anything that Geno himself in over 40 years of coaching, although he would have access to the info, would worry much about. From a coach's perspective they will go with what is needed to win in any particular game. Minutes be damned. From a fan's perspective all we need to do is pay for a ticket to Gampel, XL (away when possible) then let the talented staff and coaches who have all the latest and greatest technology and know-how figure it all out. I just want to see them win!

Reaction Score
This same (i.e. similar) post has been run the past 3 years, asking the question as to how we will find minutes for everyone. As it turned out, that wasn't the problem that needed solving. So please excuse me as I "wait and see" (with fingers crossed), and hope that this is a problem for us next year. Until then, I'm lighting candles.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
This same (i.e. similar) post has been run the past 3 years, asking the question as to how we will find minutes for everyone. As it turned out, that wasn't the problem that needed solving. So please excuse me as I "wait and see" (with fingers crossed), and hope that this is a problem for us next year. Until then, I'm lighting candles.
And will be posted, often, in similarly named threads/posts between now and November...along with the myriad of the "which players are going to start" threads.
Aw, the off season, gotta love it!

Reaction Score
Omg omg omg!!! Is this the first minutes thread of the new season?!?!?! I’ve been SOOOO waiting for this!

200 mins divided by 14 equals infinity!!!!

Now for my hobby horse: taking the season in parts. UConn will be two or more different teams this season.

In November it will be Paige KK Ash Q Ice Kaitlyn and maybe Azzi and Caroline plus the freshmen. That’s 200 divided by 12 or approximately 16.5 minutes each more or less. We can all make our guesses about who gets more and less. But I expect Geno will want to get everyone into these early games.

My guess is the starters get a bit more: Paige KK Ash Ice and Jana (maybe 20+ mins)
And the rotation gets a bit less:
Sarah Azzi Caroline Q Kaitlyn Morgan Allie (maybe 12+ min)

By January, the main rotation will have settled down to 9 or 10 players. But even then, I wouldn’t be surprised if no one gets more than 25 mins, not even Paige. This is a moment to build the biggest rotation possible and to press like crazy. By the end of February the rotation will be down to 8 or 9 with the veterans dominating the minutes: Paige and Azzi at 25, Jana too; Sarah Ice KK Kaitlyn Ash at 15, and Allie Q Morgan and Aubrey will divide up the rest depending on who’s developing, who’s struggling, etc.

I know it’s all too speculative. The one thing that’s certain is that this is Paige and Azzi’s team. They’re who’s going to carry the Huskies as far as they can go. Whoever supports them best will get the minutes by the end. I think it will be Jana Sarah KK Ice and Ash, but that’s just my guess. What’s yours?

Reaction Score
It would be a disservice to Paige to have her play any other position but point next season if everyone else is healthy. She is the best point guard they have and she is also going to play that position in the WNBA so it will help a player that has done a lot for UConn. I can see KK playing the point some too as a reserve but other than those two minutes will only be available in mop up at that position.

If Azzi is healthy she will start and be the center of the offense. She will play around 28 minutes in a perfect world leaving some time for her back up which will most likely be Kaitlyn or Ash. The second option on the offense will be Sarah Strong and she will most likely be backed up by a rotational player. The post will be Jana which leaves on spot for a few players to fight over. I personally think the 4th will be Ayanna if she comes back healthy. She brings some needed skills to the court with the others.

Geno will have a rotation of no more than 8 players when he is playing the game. In most games they will dominate so players will get minutes and will be able to stay ready if needed. But trying to figure out how he will get 12 players minutes is a fools errand for the fans on the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
With everyone who is on the court playing smothering defense and a run and gun offense there will be more reason to give everyone a "blow". Last years starters played a lot of minutes so I expect with a number of players coming back from injuries will eat some of that up but slowly until they know they are healed. And our 4 Freshmen (including Jana) will each get a share and Geno will just have to see who the best 5 are and who can step in for them.

great point. To play high pressure in- your-face defense you need to rotate guards. I also think that sore legs will be rested.
Another point is that it's doubtful that everyone will be ready Nov 1.

Reaction Score
It would be a disservice to Paige to have her play any other position but point next season if everyone else is healthy.
I disagree on both counts. She rarely played pg in high school and not primarily in her first year as a Husky. Nika and Evina played pg at least as much as Paige. Don’t be deceived by how often she has the ball in her hands. That’s just how Geno’s positionless offense works.

Also, it’s possible she’ll play pg part of the time in the W, depending on where she ends up. But I think sg is much more likely.

Paige can definitely play pg. But is it her best position in Geno’s offense? Asking who’d be the best pg is not the best way to ask the question. I prefer asking what configuration is the best team Geno can put on the floor. This is almost equivalent to asking who should start.

Right now, I think it’s reasonable to expect a starting lineup featuring either KK or Kaitlyn — probably KK early in the season and Kaitlyn might take her place later. Paige and Azzi would fill out the backcourt with Ice (or Sarah) and Jana in the frontcourt. I’ll be very surprised if Geno doesn’t have KK or Kaitlyn in the lineup. And I can’t imagine having either of those two on the floor if they’re not bringing the ball up the floor and initiating offense.

Will Paige occasionally fill that role? Sure. Why not. But this will. It be her primary role on the team.

Reaction Score
Another way to put it: would we say it would be a disservice to Diana for her not to be the pg? I don’t think so.

Reaction Score
I disagree on both counts. She rarely played pg in high school and not primarily in her first year as a Husky. Nika and Evina played pg at least as much as Paige. Don’t be deceived by how often she has the ball in her hands. That’s just how Geno’s positionless offense works.

Also, it’s possible she’ll play pg part of the time in the W, depending on where she ends up. But I think sg is much more likely.

Paige can definitely play pg. But is it her best position in Geno’s offense? Asking who’d be the best pg is not the best way to ask the question. I prefer asking what configuration is the best team Geno can put on the floor. This is almost equivalent to asking who should start.

Right now, I think it’s reasonable to expect a starting lineup featuring either KK or Kaitlyn — probably KK early in the season and Kaitlyn might take her place later. Paige and Azzi would fill out the backcourt with Ice (or Sarah) and Jana in the frontcourt. I’ll be very surprised if Geno doesn’t have KK or Kaitlyn in the lineup. And I can’t imagine having either of those two on the floor if they’re not bringing the ball up the floor and initiating offense.

Will Paige occasionally fill that role? Sure. Why not. But this will. It be her primary role on the team.
Paige is very hard to figure for this year. I think her best position is probably SG, but we know she can be very good at anything but C. That versatility and other player's best position probably means she doesn't play much at her best position, because that is also probably the best position for Azzi, Ashlyn, and Allie, and they are not nearly as versatile as Paige.

I think Paige might be most likely to start at the 3. The 1 has KK and Kaitlin, the 2 Azzi, Ashlyn and a highly ranked recruit in Allie. The 3 has some good candidates but with more questions, Caroline if healthy, Q, a good prospect in Morgan, and maybe some Aubrey when she returns, but none could expect to be anywhere close to what Paige could do there.

If Sarah starts at the 4 as hoped, Paige could still see some time as the backup 4, since we didn't achieve a backup upgrade in the portal. I know many disagree, but I don't think Ayanna or Ice have earned backup minutes based on their first year, which in both cases I felt were below expectations by quite a bit. Using Paige say as the backup 4 until Aubrey returns, with the extra minutes at the 3 handled by Caroline, Morgan or Q seems better than using Ayanna or Ice at the 4 to me.

Reaction Score
Paige is very hard to figure for this year. I think her best position is probably SG, but we know she can be very good at anything but C. That versatility and other player's best position probably means she doesn't play much at her best position, because that is also probably the best position for Azzi, Ashlyn, and Allie, and they are not nearly as versatile as Paige.

I think Paige might be most likely to start at the 3. The 1 has KK and Kaitlin, the 2 Azzi, Ashlyn and a highly ranked recruit in Allie. The 3 has some good candidates but with more questions, Caroline if healthy, Q, a good prospect in Morgan, and maybe some Aubrey when she returns, but none could expect to be anywhere close to what Paige could do there.

If Sarah starts at the 4 as hoped, Paige could still see some time as the backup 4, since we didn't achieve a backup upgrade in the portal. I know many disagree, but I don't think Ayanna or Ice have earned backup minutes based on their first year, which in both cases I felt were below expectations by quite a bit. Using Paige say as the backup 4 until Aubrey returns, with the extra minutes at the 3 handled by Caroline, Morgan or Q seems better than using Ayanna or Ice at the 4 to me.
One reason forecasting positions in the traditional terms is tricky is that Geno is likely to feature a 4-out unit. In that case, other than the pg and the center, the other roles will inevitably be fluid. Jana at center and KK (or Kaitlyn) at pg, and then Paige Azzi Ash (or Sarah, or Allie, or Caroline, or Morgan or Q). Who is playing the 2 the 3 or the 4 in this group? I think that's going to be very flexible, rather like the Gabby-KLS-Phee teams. All of them can play the perimeter, and most of them can play in the paint. But the shooting skills on this roster are such that having 3 sharpshooters outside the arc and Jana and one or another cutter inside is going to be the norm, I expect. I suspect the cutter will often be Paige, but also Caroline or Sarah or Morgan, all of whom are smart enough to do some damage in there.

Reaction Score
The minutes distribution of 2023-2024 will mirror that of 1999-00: #4
  • I wrote extensively #1 on the similarities between the first year of TASSK (Tamika, Ashja, Sue, Swin and Kiersten), and the first year of JMASK (Jana, Morgan, Allie, Sarah and Kaitlyn). But since Sue got injured in the 8th game, TASSK’s second year 1999-00 is a good proxy. #2 #3
  • SRCBB does not have box scores for that season — even though it says it does College Basketball Scores on Sunday, November 12, 2023 | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com, and neither does uconnhuskies.com.
  • Tennessee does. https://shorturl.at/hiBTU. TN and UConn met 3 times: on 1/8/2000 (W 74-67), on 2/2/2000 (L 71-72), on 4/2/2000 (71-52).
  • The TN games were the toughest on UConn’s 1-loss national championship season. So you can infer that the distribution of minutes is looser for other games, which is what I remember for that and the prior season before Sue went down due to injury, as Geno was trying to blend 5 veterans with incomers.
Minutes in 1999-00 TN games (* denotes starter):
  • Sue Bird | 32* | 36* | 35* |
  • Shea Ralph | 31* | 34* | 28* |
  • Svetlana Abrosimova | 35* | 35* | 28* |
  • Swin Cash | 30* | 23* | 18* |
  • Paige Sauer | 19* | 10* | 7 |
  • Kennitra Johnson | 19 | 19 | 23 |
  • Tamika Williams | 5 | 25 | 14 |
  • Ashja Jones | 16 | 11 | 22 |
  • Kelly Schumacher | 12 | 7 | 20* |
  • Stacey Hansmeyer | 1 | 0 | 5 |
#1 Thread 'MAJRS / JMASK vs TASSK First Year'

#2 1998/1999 team vs. 2024 team
  • Sue, KJ, Shea, Svet, Asjha, Swin, Tamika, Amy Duran, Kelly Schumacher, Paige Sauer, Stacey Hansmayer
  • Kaitlyn, KK, [Azzi], Paige, Sarah, Ice, Jana, Ash, [Aubrey], [Yanna], Q | Morgan, Allie, [[Caroline]]
where [] denotes recovering injured, and [[]] denotes indeterminately recovering injured.

#3 The 2024 team is much more homogeneous experience-wise than 1998/1999, as only Paige and Kaitlyn have more than 1-year of experience in the period of time when the team is forming its character — before Azzi’s and Aubrey’s return. That’s another argument for (5)+4+ with a flatter minutes distribution.

#4 I imagine that practices will have an A-team vs B-team, where the A-team (initially starters) is on offense and B-team on defense, and every now and then players from the A-team move to the B-team. Having 10 players with great ability and versatility allow for quick intense mastery of Geno’s schemes with varying lineups. #1

#5 The 2024 lineup is even built more to run than the 1998-1999 / 1999-2000 teams #1. That’s another argument for (5)+4+ with a flatter minutes distribution.

Attachments

• IMG_0041.jpeg
    IMG_0041.jpeg
    404.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0042.jpeg
    IMG_0042.jpeg
    409.9 KB · Views: 24

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
At the risk of being tarred and feathered I will point out that Dawn Staley had 9 players who averaged double-digit minutes during this past season’s undefeated, national championship season. Raven Johnson topped the list at 27.9. Sania Fegen was 9th with 15.2.

While SC had lots of blowout games when Dawn could empty the bench, there were a number of competitive games where Dawn still found PT for many players, sometimes even at the risk of making the final score too close for comfort. The benefit for SC was a healthy, rested and deep team in March, with lots of talented players who Dawn had confidence in to get the job done.

Obviously, this past season UConn’s injuries prevented Geno from developing a deep roster. Hopefully, with everyone healthy this coming season, UConn can finally roll out a deep and relentless lineup of talented players that can match up with SC and the other top teams in WBB.

Reaction Score
The 2024 lineup is even built more to run than the 1998-1999 / 1999-2000 teams #1. That’s another argument for (5)+4+ with a flatter minutes distribution.
Absolutely. In addition, the mere fact that the team is returning so many from injury is in itself a motive for flatter minutes distribution. The temptation is always to play Paige for 35+ minutes. It’s scary to think of having her on the bench for as much as 15 minutes. The time to prepare for that as a real possibility is in the first half of the season. If Geno can manage to limit even Paige to 25 minutes, it means he’s succeeded in building an excellent deep rotation. It probably also means he’ll feel free to run an aggressive press for long stretches.

Reaction Score
At the risk of being tarred and feathered I will point out that Dawn Staley had 9 players who averaged double-digit minutes during this past season’s undefeated, national championship season. Raven Johnson topped the list at 27.9. Sania Fegen was 9th with 15.2.

While SC had lots of blowout games when Dawn could empty the bench, there were a number of competitive games where Dawn still found PT for many players, sometimes even at the risk of making the final score too close for comfort. The benefit for SC was a healthy, rested and deep team in March, with lots of talented players who Dawn had confidence in to get the job done.

Obviously, this past season UConn’s injuries prevented Geno from developing a deep roster. Hopefully, with everyone healthy this coming season, UConn can finally roll out a deep and relentless lineup of talented players that can match up with SC and the other top teams in WBB.
Mass out-transfers (Megan Walker class) and mass-class injuries (Azzi’s class) have cast an over-sized influence on Geno’s tendencies.

Game play is extended practice in Geno’s system (as well as Dawn’s). Dawn had a restart season last year and the intensive 10+ player practices and resultant player competition translated to a good distribution of minutes in games.

Geno has the inertia-at-rest tendency to improve on last year’s schemes. If he has a core coming back, and with an 11-player roster decimated by injuries / transfers, he tends to fall back on (5)+2.

Not 2024. He’ll coach similarly to when he had young super teams.

Reaction Score

But there are other teams that didn't use a deep bench, aren't there? So why must UCONN be exaclty like South Carolina?

Reaction Score
He’ll coach similarly to when he had young super teams.
If all the breaks go his way, Geno will have a super team. But that’s a lot of breaks. Is it his turn yet? I hope so.

I think you’re right about SC’s games (at least in the first half of the season) being like extensions of practice. That’s how it felt watching them this season. And it really paid off for Dawn. It’s also a good way to keep out-transfer numbers down. She seems to have built a powerful team culture for this coming season, a lot of kids willing to contribute in a deep rotation.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
But there are other teams that didn't use a deep bench, aren't there? So why must UCONN be exaclty like South Carolina?
I'm not suggesting for a minute that "UConn be exactly like South Carolina." What UConn accomplished this past season with an extremely limited bench was nothing short of miraculous.

But for some time, Geno has suggested that he wants to play a deeper lineup. For the past several years he hasn't had the opportunity. Hopefully, this year Geno can play 8-9-10 players in the regular rotation. Certainly, having a large rotation gives a team lots of options, including pressing all game long and not worrying as much about fouls or player fatigue. I really want to see what happens if Geno has a deep, talented and healthy team.

Reaction Score
including pressing all game long and not worrying as much about fouls or player fatigue.
I’m just imagining how fatigued an opponent would be after facing a press for an entire game.

Reaction Score
I
I'm not suggesting for a minute that "UConn be exactly like South Carolina." What UConn accomplished this past season with an extremely limited bench was nothing short of miraculous.

But for some time, Geno has suggested that he wants to play a deeper lineup. For the past several years he hasn't had the opportunity. Hopefully, this year Geno can play 8-9-10 players in the regular rotation. Certainly, having a large rotation gives a team lots of options, including pressing all game long and not worrying as much about fouls or player fatigue. I really want to see what happens if Geno has a deep, talented and healthy team.

As an example he says in one sentence he wants a deep bench but then he apologizes to Q for not playing her the next. But I agree - 8 players. Maybe 9. But that 9 is a stretch in tight games. I guess it comes down to health and separation between 5 to 7 to 9 etc.

As far as "press" - that's a double-edged sword. When you and I played-- I can recall in my situation (wondering if it was the same as yours?) when teams we knew were pressers- - we practiced the hell against it before. In some cases in which we weren't better than them - we practiced so much we did a good/great job beating the pressure and wound up winning even though we were inferior. When you press- you open a door to get exposed that would not otherwise exist. SO, if your team is just "better" anyway due to your fundamentals and skills, why turn the game into more of an "endurance" test? OFC other times we got blown out, or other times we were just better anyway. I have no doubt vs many inferior teams UCONN will press but it will be just for a half in most of these.

But the point is-- the door opens up when you press to allow other teams easy baskets that they would not have otherwise gotten. The whole idea behind a press is to gamble beucase you double team (I guess you cna od man-to-man press but that's not the same imo). And these are 18-22 year old players on other teams. The top tier teams aren't going to wear down more than likely. And possibly some teams are better in the full court teams vs halfcourt. SO it would be almsot a favor you'd be giving to them.

And you nailed it last year - you were stating that the Big East was not going to be good. What are your thoughts this year? If they aren’t going to be good again - then UCONN is only going to press half the game. And is UCONN going to want to press teams like South Carolina and Notre Dame if those two teams are healthy? And if these or other teams are the type of teams you are targeting as roadblocks - then maybe would it make more sense to continually work on your halfcourt offense and not full-blown pressure all the time? The teams that you would probably comfortably press would be the teams you would probably beat anyway.

Reaction Score
if there's enough minutes for SC, there's enough for us. Guards can all take a break every 3 minutes if they wanted tbh. Poor Jana has no one to sub in, except for Ice for solely height advantage. No clue as to how skilled she will become next year. BE is a poverty conference. Geno can test the waters all he wants there and throw mixed lineups in.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
if there's enough minutes for SC, there's enough for us. Guards can all take a break every 3 minutes if they wanted tbh. Poor Jana has no one to sub in, except for Ice for solely height advantage. No clue as to how skilled she will become next year. BE is a poverty conference. Geno can test the waters all he wants there and throw mixed lineups in.
UCONN has won 11 championshiops and been to many more Final Fours. Why emulate South Carolina? WHy should UCONN emualte a program that has not been as successful as UCONN?

In addition, UCONN's strength has been been getting superstar guards/wings South CArolina's top player's the past few years has been posts. Posts - big posts - tend to need more rest. Guards don't.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom