UConn stats... 10 reasons Ashlynn may start...(again) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn stats... 10 reasons Ashlynn may start...(again)

Reaction Score
Paige and Azzi at 1 and 2. Jana at 4 or 5. Sarah at 3 which leaves a spot at 4 or 5 and I don't see KK or Ash playing that spot. I think KK will get a lot of minutes because of her ability to defend the quicker guards but after her I think it is a toss up for who will get minutes. If they try to do what they did this year they won't win anything meaningful and Geno knows he owes Paige more than playing to make a final four.

The reality is players that played this year could be the players furthest down the bench next year. It all depends on what the players coming in can do and how fast they can do it.

Reaction Score
Ash's role next year needs to expand from setting up in the corner and waiting for a pass to shoot a three.
She should get the ball more and make moves to the basket, where she can pull up, pass or go to the rim and finish or be fouled. She only took 23 foul shots (made 21!).
I see her game only getting better.

Reaction Score
Paige and Azzi at 1 and 2. Jana at 4 or 5. Sarah at 3 which leaves a spot at 4 or 5 and I don't see KK or Ash playing that spot. I think KK will get a lot of minutes because of her ability to defend the quicker guards but after her I think it is a toss up for who will get minutes. If they try to do what they did this year they won't win anything meaningful and Geno knows he owes Paige more than playing to make a final four.

The reality is players that played this year could be the players furthest down the bench next year. It all depends on what the players coming in can do and how fast they can do it.
I disagree, though you make some good points.

You’re right that minutes are all up for grabs. Last season doesn’t “earn” anyone minutes for next season. However, the primary quality in practices that earns minutes is knowing the system, especially the defensive schemes, and the kids who played almost all of last season will have a huge leg up in that department. That’s the primary reality.

KK and Ash know Geno’s system well, better than any of the healthy kids other than Paige. This is why they’ll start and get major minutes in November. Of course, by January, all bets are off, so to speak. I suspect the freshmen will learn quickly, especially Morgan who was a fierce defender at Mitty HS. Ash may give up minutes to Azzi Allie Morgan Aubrey, though I doubt she’ll be at the end of the bench.

KK is the only true PG as well as being a true gnat and will probably have major minutes all season. Yes, Paige and Azzi can play PG too, but I suspect that’s not where Geno will want them. Watch the replay of the Indiana sweet sixteen game from two years ago to see how good Paige can be at PG. Also the ND game from earlier that same season. Still, I think Geno will want her and Azzi off the ball for at least part of each game. This leaves only KK, or Morgan eventually.

There’s the rub for Ash. If Paige and Azzi take up most of the minutes at the 2 and 3 spots, she will mainly get time in special sets like a 4-out or a 5-out. I suspect Geno will use these quite a bit, so Ash will see plenty of court time, especially given her defensive smarts. But not as much as last season to be sure.

Reaction Score
Don't forget Jana!!!
Jana looks like she will be ready to start in the 5 position. For the 4 there will be several mix and match options that Geno will have: Sarah, and Ice, (and again assuming healthy) Aubrey and Caroline and one (both?)) of the new recruits Morgan or Allie. Then if Beers is added that creates even more options. Then there's the backcourt with Paige, ( and let's not forget her production this year at the 4) Azzi, (again assuming ready to go by Nov) KK and Ash plus one or both Morgan and Allie at the 3 instead of at the 4 Both recruits have the ability to be slotted in wherever. Both are fantastic additions to the roster. Here's hoping that the injury bug stays dormant because this has all the makings of a NC team.

Reaction Score
While Ashlynn's stats are impressive as DavidinNaples points out I'm not completely sold on Ashlynn. Shei is a very good player but may be too short and too conventional to be a consistent starter on a Uconn national championship team. I think she will be an excellent come off the bench player and maybe a great spot up shooter. But, for example, the Iowa game was a problem. If her shot is not falling, she seems not to have the ability (maybe size matters here) to create her own shot if she is closely guarded. If she is not on or hot she is almost a liability. Also, bigger guards can post her up under the boards. Martin did a job on her at the end of the Iowa game. I think Iowa took advantage of Ashlynn because of her lack of size and lack of speed. That may be a problem! Against lesser talent, she is awesome. Don't know if she can go against the bigger, more talented, more athletic D1 opponents? IMO she will be great off the bench or second team.........
While I don't disagree with your point about how Kate Martin was able to exploit some of Ashlynn's defensive weaknesses, it's worth noting that Martin was a 5th-year college player who had two inches and four years of experience on Ashlynn—and who herself improved tremendously over her career. There's no reason to believe that Ashlynn, with her dedication, determination, and high basketball IQ, won't continue to improve as well.

Reaction Score
Jonathan14 I totally agree with you. I wish Ashlynn was 6'2". She would be likely AA. At her currrent height she'll have to learn and struggle against bigger, faster, more athletic opponents. However, in Geno and Chris Daily we trust.....

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
While Ashlynn's stats are impressive as DavidinNaples points out I'm not completely sold on Ashlynn. Shei is a very good player but may be too short and too conventional to be a consistent starter on a Uconn national championship team. I think she will be an excellent come off the bench player and maybe a great spot up shooter. But, for example, the Iowa game was a problem. If her shot is not falling, she seems not to have the ability (maybe size matters here) to create her own shot if she is closely guarded. If she is not on or hot she is almost a liability. Also, bigger guards can post her up under the boards. Martin did a job on her at the end of the Iowa game. I think Iowa took advantage of Ashlynn because of her lack of size and lack of speed. That may be a problem! Against lesser talent, she is awesome. Don't know if she can go against the bigger, more talented, more athletic D1 opponents? IMO she will be great off the bench or second team.........
She’s a freshman. Kate Martin was a graduate student that was just drafted into the WNBA

Reaction Score
Ashlyn is and was incredible this last season. First glance, early season I didn't see it. But she really came into her own once she got a chance. I don't see her as a starter, but I definitely see her coming off the bench because she's a detailed type of player, Especially on defense. Her energy and tenacity is the make up of a great bench player. She could make a starter uncomfortable knowing that Ash is very capable of taking away a players minutes. March Madness exposed some of her limitations on offense which could keep her from starting. I see 12 to 15 minutes off the bench.

Reaction Score

To think that Azzi at the start of practice 10 months removed from a second acl surgery will be cleared
For full activity let alone be at the level she was before surgery does not seem realistic (hope I’m wrong) the timing of ja el efy surgery ()June)gives her a realistic chance to contribute at the start
Of the season
Penciling her in as a starter as a freshman coming
Off Achilles surgery seem more like a hope
Than a certainty

On opening night barring any transfers or injuries
Paige kk and Ashlyn will be starters with the other
2 being from ice SS or J el efy

Reaction Score
Husky Nan, but she was a starter and was presented as Uconn's best as a freshman. Yes, she is a freshman and Kate Martin is a graduate student but you know what, IME, if you are on the court, you rise or fall with what happens. You get no extra credit because of your age or grade. If you are first team, you are first team. Take the good with the bad. A graduate student should wear out a freshman; and she did....

Reaction Score
Regardless of who starts, given Ice's steady improvement this year its likely Ice and Jana will be on the court together a fair amount. Those are two good sized athletes that will likely provide screening opportunities for our shooters. Ash will be extremely well positioned to take advantage of that. IMO, she'll have a higher scoring average per minute played than she did this year. Also, some teams collapsed their defense with Nika this past year and those teams will have to change their thinking next year. That should give a bit more of an open floor for Ash to gain separation. Gonna be a fascinating year.

JBK

Reaction Score
I disagree, though you make some good points.

You’re right that minutes are all up for grabs. Last season doesn’t “earn” anyone minutes for next season. However, the primary quality in practices that earns minutes is knowing the system, especially the defensive schemes, and the kids who played almost all of last season will have a huge leg up in that department. That’s the primary reality.

KK and Ash know Geno’s system well, better than any of the healthy kids other than Paige. This is why they’ll start and get major minutes in November. Of course, by January, all bets are off, so to speak. I suspect the freshmen will learn quickly, especially Morgan who was a fierce defender at Mitty HS. Ash may give up minutes to Azzi Allie Morgan Aubrey, though I doubt she’ll be at the end of the bench.

KK is the only true PG as well as being a true gnat and will probably have major minutes all season. Yes, Paige and Azzi can play PG too, but I suspect that’s not where Geno will want them. Watch the replay of the Indiana sweet sixteen game from two years ago to see how good Paige can be at PG. Also the ND game from earlier that same season. Still, I think Geno will want her and Azzi off the ball for at least part of each game. This leaves only KK, or Morgan eventually.

There’s the rub for Ash. If Paige and Azzi take up most of the minutes at the 2 and 3 spots, she will mainly get time in special sets like a 4-out or a 5-out. I suspect Geno will use these quite a bit, so Ash will see plenty of court time, especially given her defensive smarts. But not as much as last season to be sure
We should not say KK is our only PG. Paige has played point most of her career and she is one of the best on the planet.
Good things happen when the ball in her hands.

Reaction Score
Ash is one of my favorites, wait a second, they are all one of my favorites. Ash came in in extraordinary shape, but so have others. Probably the best was some kid named Svet. So "NO-ONE" is not quite correct in my opinion.

FWIW, I've been to Noblesville, a very nice suburb of Indianapolis. I feel like I have a little bit of a connection with Ash.
I stick by my statement. My conclusion is I watched a 14 year old sophomore Girl run a 5000 meter race anr watch her overlap half or the runners on the track and with a new world record won by 3 minutes and she looked like she wasn't out of breath. That's what I call in shape. Ashlynn never looks tired or out on breath, SVET was way before my time on the Yard since I only have been watching since 2013, I finally joined in 2021. My postings are what I believe and I know there are many posters that know Way More than I do.but If I believe in what I post, I will respond. HAVE A GREAT DAY. GO HUSKIES!!!!

Reaction Score
We should not say KK is our only PG. Paige has played point most of her career and she is one of the best on the planet.
Good things happen when the ball in her hands.
Yep, Paige is an exceptional PG. But let's not start the (invalid IMHO) argument that Paige should be the PG because she's a better PG than (insert any name here). I think it's obvious that Geno wants Paige receiving the first pass, not making the first pass.

Back to being on topic, I want to see the kid who earns enough in practice to push Ash out of her starting role. Maybe Azzi, but it will take a 100% healthy and "back to where she was" Azzi, and maybe not even then.

Reaction Score
Fudd needs to come off the bench, Shade should start.
Fudd should come off the bench??? Have you ever seen her play? Or, shoot? Fund’s shooting ability is rare - and her basketball skills the same…she’s a starter and star on any team - she made need a game or two to get her legs under her, but, she’ll be a star with playing time.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately that was a long time ago. I am rooting for her to play basketball again never mind worrying about starting. We are not talking about an ACL injury to heal. This is her Brain. — and her future
So at the start of last season did you think it was crazy for Geno to start an inexperienced player like Paige coming off major injury who played for UConn a long time ago?

Reaction Score
Fudd should come off the bench??? Have you ever seen her play? Or, shoot? Fund’s shooting ability is rare - and her basketball skills the same…she’s a starter and star on any team - she made need a game or two to get her legs under her, but, she’ll be a star with playing time.
Yes, her shooting has been well below what was expected of her.

Reaction Score
Her and Shade at least statistically speaking are about the same.

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
Yes, her shooting has been well below what was expected of her.
The boneyard is definitely like the 'show me' state. Azzi was rated ahead of Paige (and Caitlyn C) as a college prospect. Of course sadly due injury, we have hardly seen Azzi perform at her peak level.

I can only imagine how frustrating this is for Azzi, and she has handled it very well.
I hope for us as fans, and for the kids that we finally get a healthy season of the Paige and Azzi show.

Reaction Score
Equating Ash and Azzi based on stats misses much of the picture. Watch the games Azzi dominated two seasons ago — against Texas, NC St, Duke, Iowa — before the injury. Or the ones from her first season against Tennessee, Marquette, and the elite eight game in which she torched NC St, and then tell me Ash is equivalent to her.

Don’t get me wrong, Ash can be great, and I expect her to get better and better over the next few seasons. But at her best Azzi is transcendent and a lot of us seem to have forgotten that. Even in the games in the 2023 Tournament, when her shot wasn’t back yet, her mere presence on the court forced opponents to leave others open. Recall the Baylor game when she outscored them by herself with 23 points in the 3rd quarter. All while Aaliyah had to sit with foul trouble. Talk about taking over a game! Of course it didn’t hurt that Aubrey put on her cape and did her superhero thing too.

Here’s a video reminder:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The boneyard is definitely like the 'show me' state. Azzi was rated ahead of Paige (and Caitlyn C) as a college prospect. Of course sadly due injury, we have hardly seen Azzi perform at her peak level.

I can only imagine how frustrating this is for Azzi, and she has handled it very well.
I hope for us as fans, and for the kids that we finally get a healthy season of the Paige and Azzi show.
By who and when? Do you have a link to that? Fudd wasn't even in the same HS class.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
As a sophmore she was ranked ahead of both Haley Jones and Paige by some services.

This wasn't a ranking, this is ONE media site naming her POY. None of the ranking services rated Fudd ahead of those two because they all rank players by class, not overall. And she was in a different class.

Reaction Score
This wasn't a ranking, this is ONE media site naming her POY. None of the ranking services rated Fudd ahead of those two because they all rank players by class, not overall. And she was in a different class.
IMO that's what the poster meant. He or she just used the wrong wording.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom