UConn Stanford thoughts | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn Stanford thoughts

Reaction Score
We are pretty far down a hypothetical that I don’t think is very likely (Paige matching up Hailey defensively) so all a bit of a moot point but I think maybe we are talking past each other.

I know Ono plays a lot of high post when UConn has the ball, but we are talking about UConn’s defensive sets where she is the primary post defender right? And then there a ton of advantage to drawing her out if that allows you to isolate Hailey down low against Paige. It would be somewhat similar the the opening set NC State scripted for Kayla Jones, but with a different matchup.
It would not surprise me to see Ducharme getting significant minutes tonight as a defender on Jones. Caroline can block shots and get steals without stupid fouls, but Geno and his staff need to track the refs closely from the 1st half to the 2nd half.

Reaction Score
Simply put (to me):
Stanford will try to push the ball inside early in an attempt to get Olivia and Aaliyah into foul trouble.
This would allow (Stanford) to dictate the pace and attack.
I think UCONN will push the pace early, forcing Stanford to defend read and react.
If UCONN can hit from the outside consistently early- it will open up the floor for the cutters.
We’ll know if Azzi is on early.
Have to get her her shots.
Paige WILL be on.
Then Stanford will need to adjust to UCONN’s game.
And we win.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure Stanford can’t match up with our guards.
Key will be Olivia and Edwards staying out of foul trouble.
Stanford will try to but our bigs behind the 8 ball.
I’m thinking there may be short periods where Deberry is inserted in a zone situation to assure the others are available at crunch time.
Would be nice to get Stanford’s bigs in foul trouble.
Possible, but wouldn’t count on it.
As an aside, need to get Azzi more shots.
Paige will always create hers, but need to work Azzi free.
Cudo’s for being one of the few to almost spell DeBerry’s name right. Brink has a tendency sometimes to pick up stupid fouls, if she has two fouls before halftime that makes things easier for UConn. UConn needs to shut down Jones, that’s the key, enter Caroline Ducharme. I think she will see significant minutes for that purpose.

Reaction Score
according to my calculations, if we shoot 58.3% from 3 point range, we win! that does not mean we cannot win other ways as well. :)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This will be a very good game with UConn winning by 8. The difference will be turnovers and rebounds. The Paige and Azzi show will draw alot of attention as will the Hull and Jones show. Contain them and you win. I dont think Paige and Azzi can be stopped but they may be slowed down. With all this talk about Stanford bigs, I would like to see UConn slow Hull and Jones down. They are good rebounding guards. Hey right now UConn is peeking and on a roll. They have been tested during the tournament like no other team has been tested and they've come through. The loss of Dorka means we can not get into early foul trouble. We need our bigs to play like they did in the overtime, which was dont foul.

I know some fans are nervous and concerned about this game and rightfully so. Just remember we have Paige and Azzi. There are alot of really good players playing this weekend but the biggest difference is Paige and Azzi have the will to win and they can make it happen. With all that said it will come down to rebounds and turnovers and I believe that will be the difference in UConn winning.
… and Christyn… Paige, Azzi and Christyn. Williams is playing the best basketball of her career, composed, in control, and unselfish. She’s been a big part of our postseason run. I expect that to continue.

Reaction Score
If Uconn can’t assert their inside game offensively and force Stanford to go big, I’d expect to see us utilize the four guard lineup to try and matchup.
I had the same thought, and I'm doubtful we'll be able to fully assert ourselves inside. I think the bigs need to rebound, play good defense, and score when the opportunity presents itself. If they can at least not allow Stanford's inside game to get going, that'll be huge for us. I can't help but feel like the guards are going to be the ones that win this game when it comes down to it. Given they often only play with one true big in at a time, E will have a big role and I think Caroline could have some opportunities.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
WE ARE DOOMED - DOOMED I TELL YOU!!!

(and yes, I will do this on every thread predicting a UConn win in order to appease the MOJO Gods. Not even one bit sorry. :D)
Proud Of You Reaction GIF

Reaction Score
according to my calculations, if we shoot 58.3% from 3 point range, we win! that does not mean we cannot win other ways as well. :)
Not a good metric to hang one’s hat on.
UCONN at 34% for the season.
May want to lower that expectation and hit the offensive boards harder.

Reaction Score
You mean the one that CW, Paige and Azzi sat watching from the sidelines? :rolleyes:

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I think the keys are CW coming through with her potential and turning her hunger into production – delivering on that amazing skill set we know she has. Other key, freeing up Azzi. NC State was on her like glue. You could see it better at the game than on TV, but they had a player within inches of her all the time. That made it difficult to get her the ball, yet alone get off a shot – even with her quick release. Paige will be Paige – and we need that. ONO and AE are smart kids. We just need to hope they don't let emotions get the better of them because that can lead to silly fouls. Off the bench – If E's shots go down, we are in great shape. Other magic off of the bench is Caroline. Given her playing time lately, how much has the Tree prepared for her. If she has an awakening like Paige did last game, we are golden. She can be so effective under the basket. Okay, so I just reread this and wonder whether it's really all just a bunch gibberish. Who knows? I just can't want for the game to start and then end with our ladies smiling and the Cardinal ladies stunned.
GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
I know, and you are 100% correct. I just could not resist reminding both UConn and Stanford fans, that had Paige, Azzi, and Christyn had played in that game, Liv’s stats would have been even better. As it was, Ducharme also had 22pts in that game as well.

Reaction Score
Outside the key is not where Jones plays. She rarely shoots the 3.
She often dribbles the ball up as a point guard/forward. This is where Nika can do damage. To a lesser degree, but hopefully quite successfully, Paige, Azzi and/or CW.

Reaction Score
She often dribbles the ball up as a point guard/forward. This is where Nika can do damage. To a lesser degree, but hopefully quite successfully, Paige, Azzi and/or CW.
Jones is 6’1”, and can jump, Nika would have her hands full and then some. Ducharme is the one who should be guarding Jones. Nika might be useful on Jones in the open court, but in the half court forget it.

Reaction Score
Jones is 6’1”, and can jump, Nika would have her hands full and then some. Ducharme is the one who should be guarding Jones. Nika might be useful on Jones in the open court, but in the half court forget it.
So we agree. I’d just say “would” instead of “may”. We’ll find out soon enough!

Reaction Score
Nika is too small. Jones will torture her. I think Caroline would be better than Nika on Jones off the bench. AE will likely be the primary defender against her.
I think Jones’s first step beats Caroline every time. Nika being smaller at least can get get in her face, literally, and disrupt her more than anyone else.

Reaction Score
I think Jones’s first step beats Caroline every time. Nika being smaller at least can get get in her face, literally, and disrupt her more than anyone else.
As far as Caroline’s defensive talents go, you don’t know what you are talking about.

Reaction Score
UConn has come so far this year, everything considering. The Final 4 is a miracle. I think it's going to be super hard to beat Stanford. A lot has to happen that really hasn't happened so far:

Charity stripe? We all know how bad this has been this year, not sure how we can expect them to suddenly go 100%, but that's what will be required.

3's? Need probably a dozen, for real. Whether Paige, Azzi, CD, CW - they need 10-12, at least.

Foul trouble - Yeah, with Dorka out, this could be a BIG issue, quick. PUN intended.

Shut down defense, with actually guarding the 3 point line. Hull needs to be shut down, she can go over a half dozen by halftime if not. HJ needs to be blanketed. ALWAYS.

Have to make it a MISSION to get CB in foul trouble, as early as possible. The longer she's in the game, the worse UConn's chances of winning are.

Can it happen? Sure, but UConn has left a LOT of points on the table in every game of the tournament. They need those points.

Reality? I don't wear rose colored glasses like so many of you do. Hope I'm wrong, but too much needs to go right with very little wrong. What are the chances for all these things going right for UConn against Stanford?

Tree ends it for the Huskies tonight, unfortunately.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
"I think Jones’s first step beats Caroline every time. Nika being smaller at least can get get in her face, literally, and disrupt her more than anyone else."

Easily fixed...play off her by a half a step. I believe the concerns about AA Hailey being a mismatch are moot...because I believe that UConn will play a lot of zone. And, while there is reason for concern with regards to our bigs picking up fouls...the same can be said for Brink who is also prone to fouling. This is one game where fouls trouble for either side could swing the game.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
As many people have stated. FOULS will have a huge impact on the game tonight.
1. In their last game: UCONN shot 60%......Stanford shot 81%
2. UCONN cannot afford to have any one of the Bigs foul out

Reaction Score
"I think Jones’s first step beats Caroline every time. Nika being smaller at least can get get in her face, literally, and disrupt her more than anyone else."

Easily fixed...play off her by a half a step. I believe the concerns about AA Hailey being a mismatch are moot...because I believe that UConn will play a lot of zone. And, while there is reason for concern with regards to our bigs picking up fouls...the same can be said for Brink who is also prone to fouling. This is one game where fouls trouble for either side could swing the game.
The poster you quoted is probably right in that Nika has way more blocked shots and steals than Caroline, even if guarding someone three inches taller than herself. NOT!!!

Reaction Score
I'm worried! I don't know how to make peace with this or otherwise resolve it. This is an unbearable decision. This is torture...scary even. For which of the two teams in this game will Mr. & Mrs. Samuelson openly support? :confused:
I hope they support the eventual winner: UCONN!!!!

I also support Katie Lou for the next 3X3 team to go for GOLD!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom