UCONN, Stanford, South Carolina and then... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UCONN, Stanford, South Carolina and then...

Reaction Score
Truthfully, for 2022 I'm a lot happier with Brady and Patterson as opposed to just getting Betts. I think two athletic forwards with very strong basketball skills will present problems for opponents.
Yeah I agree. I don’t think we need another skinny post doing fade always ? Let’s get some true big girls soon GA

Reaction Score
South Carolina I feel will be the favorite, especially the way they going to feel like on a mission on blowing the semifinals game. Could be wrong but they might be the #1 recruiting class coming in
South Carolina will be an intriguing team to forecast in 2020. While it may sound unusual to say Boston, one of the most dominating players in college basketball, still has potential for growth, at times she appeared to be playing with less than 100% of her skills. Unclear if she will return next year with more motivation of if the new players will be able to help to expand her performance. While I still put UConn on the top of my list, these are scary thoughts.

W

wolfe613

South Carolina will be an intriguing team to forecast in 2020. While it may sound unusual to say Boston, one of the most dominating players in college basketball, still has potential for growth, at times she appeared to be playing with less than 100% of her skills. Unclear if she will return next year with more motivation of if the new players will be able to help to expand her performance. While I still put UConn on the top of my list, these are scary thoughts.
I think experience in teams will play a big role, not sure who has more veterans Uconn or SC and still don't count out Stanford

Reaction Score
I think experience in teams will play a big role, not sure who has more veterans Uconn or SC and still don't count out Stanford
South Carolina has everybody eligible to come back. Everybody except maybe LeLe Grisset who was out of the tournament. She has the Covid option of coming back for her fifth year. Four super frosh coming in so we will have much more depth

Reaction Score
I am glad we did not get Boston. I think Edwards is a better player, and doubt we would have landed her if we had Boston. Also still want to know about that Boston, and the other Canadian player that SC that were both supposed to be UCONN leans then ended up in SC... something hinky is afoot.

Reaction Score
Truthfully, for 2022 I'm a lot happier with Brady and Patterson as opposed to just getting Betts. I think two athletic forwards with very strong basketball skills will present problems for opponents.
While I agree.... I still want a 6'7" player at UCONN... or two... Imagine 2 6'7" + players inj at the same time... ....

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
everyone else. I think one of these three will win the next 3 or 4 titles. They are the most talented up and down the rosters, provided some bench players do not hit the transfer portal. I think an announcer said that South Carolina will have 10 McDonald All American's next year....geez....I am sure Stanford and UCONN can either match that or come close....but no one else for sure....Those are your elites for the time being.
Normally, I would agree with a proposal that "usual suspects" will rise to the top as favored final four contenders, but the wholly unexpected emergence of Arizona this year--as well as the very liberalized transfer possibilities— will make it a much more open field. Kind of exciting actually. Of course, I exempt UConn, but more final four contenders will add some spice to our gals' pursuit of dominance.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Seriously? You don't think she made that pledge other times? And that there wasn't a little luck in that championship? Sorry, I think what you describe is much closer to posturing and less "keeping her word."
Staley took a program that was a bottom feeder and turned it into a national power destination. She doesn't need your adoration...lol....she is doing just fine.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Normally, I would agree with a proposal that "usual suspects" will rise to the top as favored final four contenders, but the wholly unexpected emergence of Arizona this year--as well as the very liberalized transfer possibilities— will make it a much more open field. Kind of exciting actually. Of course, I exempt UConn, but more final four contenders will add some spice to our gals' pursuit of dominance.
The exception...not the rule...but I agree it's good for WBB..

Reaction Score
Staley took a program that was a bottom feeder and turned it into a national power destination. She doesn't need your adoration...lol....she is doing just fine.

I agree she is doing just fine. I was responding to the post about Dawn "keeping her word" about winning a championship. It's not "keeping your word" when the final outcome is not entirely in one's control.

Reaction Score
I agree she is doing just fine. I was responding to the post about Dawn "keeping her word" about winning a championship. It's not "keeping your word" when the final outcome is not entirely in one's control.
I would agree. You cannot promise what you don't have.

W

wolfe613

I would agree. You cannot promise what you don't have.
she said it because she knew what talent she had obviously when she was having bad years she probably doesn't say this, but she knows she's building a jauggernaut and every yr their recruiting gets better and better.

Reaction Score
2016 they were a 1 seed and got upset by Syracuse in the Sweet 16, she promised Aja Wilson when she recruited her a ntl title. The following year she delivered and they won it all. She backs up her word and I can see why many recruits are going with her
Actually, wasn't it Aja who promised Dawn a National Championship rather than the other way around?

Reaction Score
We’ve heard this before. When Griner signed with Baylor, many simply conceded the next three to four championships to Kim Mulkey. Funny thing though, they only won once with the most dominant post in history. We will see but I certainly wouldn’t cede anything to Stanford except that they will be one of the favorites. Truth is, I’d much rather have Brady and Patterson than Betts.
I agree you good post.

Reaction Score
I agree with the top tier. But the top teams can lose to anyone at anytime.

Louisville just added Emily Engstler who is very good.
NC State is reported to have added Diamond Johnson and Madison Hayes. They are going to be really good the next few years.
Maryland is returning their entire senior class including Katie Benzan and Chloe Bibby. Add that to Diamond Miller, Ashley Owusu (Drysdale winner), Angel Reese and Mimi Collins and you have a great 6 player team. Plus they add a super talented international prospect in Emma Chardon.

With Baylor, you have your top 7 teams.
Forget Maryland, couldn’t even beat Missouri State.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Did she say which championship....they have two SEC tournament championships and an SEC regular season championship. I would think it unwise to promise anything that depends on others to accomplish. She may have said "I promise you can" if she was referring to the talent. Things are often taken out of context so I am not sure what she actually said.

Reaction Score
All these teams are loaded and reloading. But Stanford continues to mine Colorado for players (Tara’s mom lives in Boulder) and will have three Colorado girls on roster next year, including a 6’ 7” post who could well insure Stanford dominates for four years. UConn has gone years without recruiting a dominant post. We keep trying to believe Liv could be our big girl, more time in weight room, etc., but after three years we have to accept she’s a Big East big, not a NC big. Sorry. Will Amari DeBerry be that post? UConn is stacked, perhaps overly stacked, at guard, creating potential playing time problems. UConn has relied on using only 6 or 7 players, Stanford uses its stronger bench. UConn is excited, as it should be, in adding Fudd, but Lauren Betts was the player to get. Fortunately, for UConn, Betts is a 2022 recruit.
Nope, Patterson and Brady neutralizes Betts with their athleticism (though UConn did recruit Betts). Stanford can't play Betts and Brink together as twin towers and lose the versatility offered by the rest of the roster.

Reaction Score
South Carolina will have more experience and so will Stanford compared to UConn, although Dorka, the transfer from OSU made it a little less so. I guess Geno wanted more options in the post and more options in playing style after being stuck to limited options because of a shallow roster.

Reaction Score
With the increased reliance on 3 point shooting and spreading the floor, I can’t imagine many instances where it would make sense to have two 6’7” players in the court at the same time.
The two main advantages of that height is rim protection and rebounding potential. However, someone like an active, quick and athletic post player like Patterson is an excellent counter (just remember Gabby Williams at 5'11" and what she did....now finally getting more comfortable in the pros). Geno doesn't want to be stuck to playing one style of play with limited options from the bench like he has been since Stewie and her class left. I believe he wants to be equipped with different players he can deploy for a style that best counters any opponent. That means, he won't rely on any one player to do the job even it is Paige or Azzi in the backcourt or any of the frountcourt players he has assembled. Different opponents may require a different combination of players of the floor to counter as well as having the ability to change the tempo of the game.

Those 6'7"s can't run full court like Stewie to be an effective presence in the a running game except to initiate it with a rebound. This is a change from Rebecca and Kara teams....to more athleticism and speed, with enough height. Right now, the shortest scholarship player is Nika at 5'10". Not sure they are speedy enough to be a great pressing defense but their collective height is an advantage.....he can just mix and match any way he wants to.

Speed, athleticism and mid-to-long range shooting accuracy will counter height all the time (I remember those Wooden teams with Hazzard and Goodrich). I believe, for what he wants now, Geno has assembled the right mix. For the next four to five years he has the core.....he needs to shore up for the senior year of Azzi and beyond.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
South Carolina also 'blew' a semi final and on a last second miss and UCONN just lost straight out by 10 points. I think both of those teams will be primed all season next year.
Aren't they supposed to play during the regular season, this time in Columbia? One of them would at least have one loss by season end.

Reaction Score
UConn is excited, as it should be, in adding Fudd, but Lauren Betts was the player to get. Fortunately, for UConn, Betts is a 2022 recruit.

Huh? If we know anything about the women's college game then we know that a stud guard is far more valuable than a post. Especially when that stud guard (Fudd) is considered a "generational" talent.
Especially in the playoffs where guard play is most important.

Reaction Score
Seriously? You don't think she made that pledge other times? And that there wasn't a little luck in that championship? Sorry, I think what you describe is much closer to posturing and less "keeping her word."

What luck are you referring to? In that Final Four, Stanford led at the halftime 29-20, then got out-scored 42-24 in the 2nd half. South Carolina ran away with that game.

In the finals against Mississippi State, the game was tied 14-14 with 2:10 left to play in the 1st Quarter, then USC went on a 17-4 run, and led the rest of the way mostly by double digits, and won by 12 pts. They had both of the final 2 games well under control after the FF halftime....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom