UCONN, Stanford, South Carolina and then... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN, Stanford, South Carolina and then...

Reaction Score
South Carolina I feel will be the favorite, especially the way they going to feel like on a mission on blowing the semifinals game. Could be wrong but they might be the #1 recruiting class coming in

Question. You don't think UConn will be "on a mission" after blowing the semifinal game?

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Question. You don't think UConn will be "on a mission" after blowing the semifinal game?
South Carolina also 'blew' a semi final and on a last second miss and UCONN just lost straight out by 10 points. I think both of those teams will be primed all season next year.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That was a great class. Caldwell transferred out, and I don't recall if Drummer stayed (she never had great stats in college IIRC), but Canada and Billings were terrific and Hays had a solid, but not great, career. I think she started a bunch of games her last 2 years, but never really averaged high PPG or eye popping stats...

Reaction Score
:eek: Which of the last 4 consecutive semifinal games were you referring to?

As Geno says, you can’t step into the same river twice. Next year we have everyone from a very young team back. If there was ever a year to learn from a defeat, it will be next year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As Geno says, you can’t step into the same river twice. Next year we have everyone from a very young team back. If there was ever a year to learn from a defeat, it will be next year.
Be careful as not to sound like some other programs: "Just wait until next year". I'm specifically thinking of TN (since 2008) and Duke circa 2010-2017. I'm not in the camp that thinks the required motivation can come from a loss. Having everyone back is great: I'm firmly in that other camp that thinks growth and getting over the hump will only happen when some of the player personalize their weaknesses, begin to respond to instruction from the coaches, put in the work to become more reliable, and up hold the standards of this great program.

Reaction Score
Be careful as not to sound like some other programs: "Just wait until next year". I'm specifically thinking of TN (since 2008) and Duke circa 2010-2017. I'm not in the camp that thinks the required motivation can come from a loss. Having everyone back is great: I'm firmly in that other camp that thinks growth and getting over the hump will only happen when some of the player personalize their weaknesses, begin to respond to instruction from the coaches, put in the work to become more reliable, and up hold the standards of this great program.

I agree that the idea of becoming motivated due to a loss from a prior year is way overrated. My initial post was in response to a post that South Carolina would be motivated to win a title due to their semifinal loss. I asked how is that different from UConn's semifinal loss.

However, there may be some value from a young team gaining hard earned lessons in the tournament. Given the youth of our team, there was precious little tournament experience this year.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Come on man.... leave Duke outta this.:confused:

Reaction Score
But they are in two different recruiting classes I thought? 2018 for ONO & 2019 for Boston
I mis-remembered...
Season 8 Episode 3 GIF by Friends

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Furgetaboutit

Three peat heading your way, 14 banners hanging at GP

There is no other elite team

W

wolfe613

obviously yes but South Carolina was different due to how they lost, it was literally inches away from going to the final and I'm sure they beat Arizona. Uconn really never was in it vs Arizona so yes off course they'll be motivated but it's not the same when you lose in convincing fashion as to when you feel like you got taken something you know you had in your grasp. Especially Dawn Staley who is one of the best at redemption.

Reaction Score
obviously yes but South Carolina was different due to how they lost, it was literally inches away from going to the final and I'm sure they beat Arizona. Uconn really never was in it vs Arizona so yes off course they'll be motivated but it's not the same when you lose in convincing fashion as to when you feel like you got taken something you know you had in your grasp. Especially Dawn Staley who is one of the best at redemption.

What is the evidence that Dawn Staley is "one of the best at redemption?"

Reaction Score
Agree. Motivation is great but I don't see what losing a game does to help that. You either have it or you don't. If you can't match up physically and skills wise, you're going to lose. Not talking just UConn, but at upper tier, top 25 programs for instance, I expect to see highly motivated, very competitive kids. So I'm regularly surprised to see how many return each year with so little improvement in their game skills and awareness. With so many quality people available for advice, instruction, and training just for the asking, I don't know what they're doing during the 5-6 months they have to really impact their individual games and maximize their potential.

Reaction Score
everyone else. I think one of these three will win the next 3 or 4 titles. They are the most talented up and down the rosters, provided some bench players do not hit the transfer portal. I think an announcer said that South Carolina will have 10 McDonald All American's next year....geez....I am sure Stanford and UCONN can either match that or come close....but no one else for sure....Those are your elites for the time being.
Have we found a center who can hit 2 ft. bunny layups and be somewhere in the realm of reliable down low?
If not, be prepared for disappointment like this year.

W

wolfe613

What is the evidence that Dawn Staley is "one of the best at redemption?"
2016 they were a 1 seed and got upset by Syracuse in the Sweet 16, she promised Aja Wilson when she recruited her a ntl title. The following year she delivered and they won it all. She backs up her word and I can see why many recruits are going with her

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
2016 they were a 1 seed and got upset by Syracuse in the Sweet 16, she promised Aja Wilson when she recruited her a ntl title. The following year she delivered and they won it all. She backs up her word and I can see why many recruits are going with her
If it's that simple, she should promise to win the Championship every year. I guess she didn't promise that to this year's team.

Reaction Score

Seriously? You don't think she made that pledge other times? And that there wasn't a little luck in that championship? Sorry, I think what you describe is much closer to posturing and less "keeping her word."

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
That was a great class. Caldwell transferred out, and I don't recall if Drummer stayed (she never had great stats in college IIRC), but Canada and Billings were terrific and Hays had a solid, but not great, career. I think she started a bunch of games her last 2 years, but never really averaged high PPG or eye popping stats...
I'd say a "very good", but not great, class when subsequent transfers (Caldwell) and injury issues (Drummer) are accounted for. Canada fully lived up to her promise (#4 per HoopGurlz), while Billings far exceeded expectations (she was only #38 HG). Drummer was certainly a major contributor in her last two seasons, but that was after she'd missed a ton of time with injury and IMO that played a role in her stunted development, never living up to her top-10 HG ranking (only Canada from that 2014 class was rated higher as a recruit). Caldwell's transfer was a major blow, but it's not like she ever became an All-American in her subsequent stops either.

The bigger reason, however, behind UCLA's failure to break into the uppermost echelon of elite teams is that the surrounding recruiting classes were just "okay". It's one thing to haul in one blockbuster class, but just as important is how you recruit around that class. Close certainly picked up a few individual good ones (e.g. Kennedy Burke) but it wasn't enough to go from an NCAA 2nd weekend team to a Final Four-level team. Contrast that to how Dawn Staley followed up her recruitment of A'ja Wilson with increasing success on both the transfer market and the traditional recruiting trail; one could argue that SC's combined 2019 and 2021 classes constitute on paper the best recruiting haul over a 3-year period ever in the sport (IIRC 7 players ranked in the top 11, and 4 in the top 4, of their respective classes per HG).

Reaction Score
everyone else. I think one of these three will win the next 3 or 4 titles. They are the most talented up and down the rosters, provided some bench players do not hit the transfer portal. I think an announcer said that South Carolina will have 10 McDonald All American's next year....geez....I am sure Stanford and UCONN can either match that or come close....but no one else for sure....Those are your elites for the time being.
I would certainly put Baylor in that group and probably ahead of Stanford. With the deepest most talented roster Tara has had in years it took two back rim shots at the buzzer to win her 1st NC in 29yrs. To her credit she admitted her good fortune. I've always looked at her teams with a side-eye. The UConn/So. Carolina matchups will be Battle Royales!! the two best rosters in the sport.

Reaction Score
We’ve heard this before. When Griner signed with Baylor, many simply conceded the next three to four championships to Kim Mulkey. Funny thing though, they only won once with the most dominant post in history. We will see but I certainly wouldn’t cede anything to Stanford except that they will be one of the favorites. Truth is, I’d much rather have Brady and Patterson than Betts.
UConn is excited, as it should be, in adding Fudd, but Lauren Betts was the player to get. Fortunately, for UConn, Betts is a 2022 recruit.

Huh? If we know anything about the women's college game then we know that a stud guard is far more valuable than a post. Especially when that stud guard (Fudd) is considered a "generational" talent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom