UConn/Stanford Extend Series Thru '14-'15 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn/Stanford Extend Series Thru '14-'15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Five NCAA and 1 regular season (Paradise Jam in 2007).

Can that be correct? Didn't Sales set the single game record against them at a neutral site in Florida back in 97? Some kind of Holiday tournament?

Reaction Score
UCONN wants to break Stanford home court winning streak.........Now, we are all healthy........Look out.....

Reaction Score
Can that be correct? Didn't Sales set the single game record against them at a neutral site in Florida back in 97? Some kind of Holiday tournament?

Oh yeah. Not a tournament, but a special game -- sponsored by Honda I think. In Orlando or Tampa area I believe.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

The Dec 21, 1997 game is listed as an away game in the UConn Media Guide. You're correct, though, that game was in a Holiday Tournament in Florida.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
The Dec 21, 1997 game is listed as an away game in the UConn Media Guide. You're correct, though, that game was in a Holiday Tournament in Florida.
O.K. my unreliable memory seemed to get that one right. Now I'll risk trusting my memory a little more and go for what's behind the curtain....

Trivia question: What was unique about the UConn team on the floor when they played that game and for the super bonus points why? ( I hope my brain cells are not jumbled)

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Honda Elite Four Holiday Classic, Lakeland, FL

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
O.K. my unreliable memory seemed to get that one right. Now I'll risk trusting my memory a little more and go for what's behind the curtain....

Trivia question: What was unique about the UConn team on the floor when they played that game and for the super bonus points why? ( I hope my brain cells are not jumbled)

I have no idea what the answer is to this trivia question.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Reaction Score

The unique thing was that all of the players had SAG cards. Why? Because each had had guest starring roles in the Facts of Life, Webster, or Small Wonder earlier in life.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I don't think this is it, but I vaguely recall that Stanford once showed up to a game with home uniforms or away uniforms, and they turned out to be the wrong ones. It doesn't make sense that you would make this mistake in a normal regular season game, but it seems plausible at a neutral court. However, I thought the incident occurred prior to the 96 Olympics, causing Tara to institute a rule that both sets would be brought to all game where there might be a question (and it helped out on one occasion), so even if I have the incident right, it doesn't make sense that it would happen in 1997. But I'll throw it out as a guess. (Of course the question is about the UConn team, so my answer would be that UConn was Home/away, but wore away/home uniforms.)

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Another stretch guess – possibly the first time Geno coached a team against an opponent that had never lost to UConn?
(But the existence of the super bonus suggests this is wrong)

Ooops, scratch that, we won in 1995, so this wasn't the first win.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
OK, let's see if we can figure this out.
Are you willing to answer questions?
The question says it is something unique about the TEAM. Is it correct to assume that the answer has nothing to do with:
  • The final score?
  • The opponent?
  • The coaches?
  • The location?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
OK, let's see if we can figure this out.
Are you willing to answer questions?
The question says it is something unique about the TEAM. Is it correct to assume that the answer has nothing to do with:
  • The final score?
  • The opponent?
  • The coaches?
  • The location?
Depends how hard you really want to work on this. You are already really close in some of your speculation above.....I can just give you the answer or give you some answer/hints....your choice of poison I guess.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Let's try guesses for a bit. Does it have something to do with uniforms, which would include numbers? Maybe the team either assumed they were away, and did not have home uniforms, but did have practice uniforms, and had to wear practices uniforms? Or maybe there was a laundry snafu, and they had to wear something other than the "right" uniforms? Or maybe UConn had the wrong set of uniforms, but Stanford had both, and graciously agreed to wear the opposite kind?

Reaction Score
Let's try guesses for a bit. Does it have something to do with uniforms, which would include numbers? Maybe the team either assumed they were away, and did not have home uniforms, but did have practice uniforms, and had to wear practices uniforms? Or maybe there was a laundry snafu, and they had to wear something other than the "right" uniforms? Or maybe UConn had the wrong set of uniforms, but Stanford had both, and graciously agreed to wear the opposite kind?

Ahhh. I do recall a game where they had to play in their practice unis.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score

Bingo. Since it was a 4 team (but only 2 game event) Each team was apparently assigned a home or away before the event. UConn brought the wrong one and wore their practice jerseys.

I have been trying to confirm this 100% and find at least a picture but have been unsuccessful. (& was before everything went digital so there is less stuff out there floating on the internet from that time. I have a shoebox at home however that is my last hope (might have a VCR tape!)

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I decided to try to guess, but after guessing, googled to see if I could confirm. I haven't found anything. Slightly surprised, as I thought someone would mention this

Thanks for asking, that was fun to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom