UConn/Stanford Extend Series Thru '14-'15 | The Boneyard

UConn/Stanford Extend Series Thru '14-'15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How come no warmup game? Is this sound thinking?

There's a reason for playing Colgate when we did, and I think it's a smart reason. Is Geno expecting we'll be clicking on all cylinders opening night next season?

Reaction Score
always the humble dude. In our 13 game series to date, UConn leads 7-6.

There are actually only two schools with a winning record against Geno: La Salle and U.S. International. Sadly, the latter is out of business, so he will forever be 0-1 against them. Stanford was the third at one point, but Geno edged in front during the 90-game win streak.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
How come no warmup game? Is this sound thinking?

There's a reason for playing Colgate when we did, and I think it's a smart reason. Is Geno expecting we'll be clicking on all cylinders opening night next season?

Agree, would like to see a few cupcakes first to get the cowebs off. I would hate to see our 35 game or so streak ended that way, but I suppose it's the same for them.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well he does love beating them. Doesn't matter how many times. Humble doesn't have anything to do with it. It's the love of beating.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

It's always good to have you post here with your excellent sense of humor. Phil put in a good word for you, so I know you are ok. But you need to lighten up. It is a UConn board. We happen to think this is a pretty good team.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I won't be surprised if Geno tells me I have my focus on the wrong thing, but the timing worries me. A losable game as an opener puts the streak without consecutive losses in jeopardy, unless you win the NC. We did play a losable opener (for the nitpickers, yes, all games are losable, but you know what I mean) in 1995, against La Tech IIRC, and we did lose, but our NC in 95 kept the streak alive.

My guess is that the timing is happenstance, a date that works for both, or orchestrated, as part of a TV start the season with a bang, and not a "hey, you'd better twin the NC or our streak will be in danger", but the timing is interesting.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Interesting point, Phil.

As of now we will have 9 scholarship players on next year's team....8 with experience in big games with only Saniya a newcomer. I have no idea how many of Stanford's current players will be back....Chiney will be a senior...right? I would think that we will be sharp even in Game One.
BTW: Is our NCAA record home winning streak [broken by St. John's last year] at around 119? I think I recently read that Stanford's current home streak is around 90.
That would mean that running the table at home this year won't get them to our record...but next year might. That behooves us to mercifully end it on Dec. 29.

Hmmm...I believe LadyVol is out there in mid-Dec....double hmm!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I won't be surprised if Geno tells me I have my focus on the wrong thing, but the timing worries me. A losable game as an opener puts the streak without consecutive losses in jeopardy, unless you win the NC. We did play a losable opener (for the nitpickers, yes, all games are losable, but you know what I mean) in 1995, against La Tech IIRC, and we did lose, but our NC in 95 kept the streak alive.

My guess is that the timing is happenstance, a date that works for both, or orchestrated, as part of a TV start the season with a bang, and not a "hey, you'd better twin the NC or our streak will be in danger", but the timing is interesting.

It simply means he needs to find two really good Div 2 opponents for the exibition games.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Per John A.

Stanford @ UConn will open the season next year (Nov 10, 2013). Geno wants to play every year.

And Duke and UConn have extended that series as well. Good to see. Teams who want to be the best have to play and beat the best.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

Geno doesn't care about any strek (or streakers, for that matter) :D

Reaction Score
You can't schedule based on trying to keep streak X alive.
Streaks are not the goal. Getting better and winning an NC is.

That date may have been the only one that was available for both schools.

I believe Stanford is still on the quarter system and has exams just before Thanksgiving, so they're probably out of commission for the last 2 wks of Nov.

Reaction Score
Interesting point, Phil.

As of now we will have 9 scholarship players on next year's team....8 with experience in big games with only Saniya a newcomer. I have no idea how many of Stanford's current players will be back....Chiney will be a senior...right? I would think that we will be sharp even in Game One.
BTW: Is our NCAA record home winning streak [broken by St. John's last year] at around 119? I think I recently read that Stanford's current home streak is around 90.
That would mean that running the table at home this year won't get them to our record...but next year might. That behooves us to mercifully end it on Dec. 29.

Hmmm...I believe LadyVol is out there in mid-Dec....double hmm!

the home streak was stopped by St John's at 99.

Reaction Score
It's always good to have you post here with your excellent sense of humor. Phil put in a good word for you, so I know you are ok. But you need to lighten up. It is a UConn board. We happen to think this is a pretty good team.

dude, really? I know.

Reaction Score
You can't schedule based on trying to keep streak X alive.
Streaks are not the goal. Getting better and winning an NC is.

That date may have been the only one that was available for both schools.

I believe Stanford is still on the quarter system and has exams just before Thanksgiving, so they're probably out of commission for the last 2 wks of Nov.

the quarter end Dec. 9th, finals are Dec. 10-14. Stanford plays at UC Davis tomorrow, then at Gonzaga on Sun. They will have their required 2 week break for end of quarter and finals and next game won't be until Dec. 15th at home vs. UOP. Then off to South Carolina, TN and back home for game with y'all. We'll have a good warm-up for ya.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Looking forward to it next season. The 2011 game was a lot of fun.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Your post motivated me to look up the history between the two schools (which I love to do):

• Stanford and UConn have played 13 times;
  • Four games have been played at Maples (Stanford 3-1);
  • Three games have been played in CT (UConn 2-1);
  • Six games have been played on neutral courts (UConn 4-2);
  • Stanford won the first 3 games ('88, '93 and '93)
  • After playing in Dec 1997, the teams did not play again until the NCAAs in March, 2005;
  • The teams resumed the H/H series in '09-10

Reaction Score
This is great news for UCONN & Stanford fans as well as WCBB !!!!!

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
o
Your post motivated me to look up the history between the two schools (which I love to do):

• Stanford and UConn have played 13 times;
  • Four games have been played at Maples (Stanford 3-1);
  • Three games have been played in CT (UConn 2-1);
  • Six games have been played on neutral courts (UConn 4-2);
  • Stanford won the first 3 games ('88, '93 and '93)
  • After playing in Dec 1997, the teams did not play again until the NCAAs in March, 2005;
  • The teams resumed the H/H series in '09-10
Thanks Cat.

So if I am reading your history correctly, over the past 19 years, UConn is 7-3 vs. Stanford. That's a good fact to keep in mind.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
o
Thanks Cat.

So if I am reading your history correctly, over the past 19 years, UConn is 7-3 vs. Stanford. That's a good fact to keep in mind.

What it tells me is that for 16 years the teams only played each other if they met up in the NCAAs and that happened only a few times. It also tells me that Stanford didn't play UConn during the Bird-Taurasi years which was probably a good thing for Stanford and its overall record against UConn (those were some lean years for Stanford). It also tells me that I'm glad they play every year now because the programs are too good to hope they meet up in the NCAAs, though doing so is fun too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom