Uconn spending and revenue.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Uconn spending and revenue....

Reaction Score
Huh? I made a few points there so you're going to have to specify what you're talking about. Communication 101.
What is the difference between a student that plays football and another that is into acting. You made some over reaching comment that school should only be for the real world.
Is that your world? Sports exist in my world and are big business.
Who are you to decide what avenues are available for students to broaden their horizons?

Reaction Score
What is the difference between a student that plays football and another that is into acting. You made some over reaching comment that school should only be for the real world.
Is that your world? Sports exist in my world and are big business.
Who are you to decide what avenues are available for students to broaden their horizons?

I'm not anyone to decide, I'm stating an opinion. One you can agree or disagree with. What's the difference between a student that plays football and one who acts? I'm not sure, but I know what's the same about them - they both have a 99% chance of making a living doing something else. I personally don't think all UConn students should fork over $30M a year so a couple kids can make the NBA/NFL.

University sports should be self-sustaining. They shouldn't have to suck funds from elsewhere. You do remember how long this board made fun of Rutgers for doing what we are now reduced to doing, right? If college sports are truly "big business" like you say, being profitable or at least coming close to breaking even shouldn't be an issue, now should it?

If our country didn't have a cumulative $1.4 trillion in student debt (1/10 that of outstanding mortgage debt last I checked), I wouldn't much care. Compare the per capita student debt numbers to any other advanced country, it's a joke. The reality is when students with no ability to pay in the near-term are given loans for however much the school is going to charge them, then the school has little to no incentive to cut costs. This isn't just a UConn thing, this is nationwide and it's a bad situation.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I personally don't think all UConn students should fork over $30M a year so a couple kids can make the NBA/NFL.
That's a very short sighted and stupid remark. Many, many, many, more students have gone through the football and basketball programs on scholarship during their 4 undergrad years and are now honest hard working American's with college degrees, they are not playing pro sports at all.

Reaction Score
That's a very short sighted and stupid remark. Many, many, many, more students have gone through the football and basketball programs on scholarship during their 4 undergrad years and are now honest hard working American's with college degrees, they are not playing pro sports at all.

Uhhh okay? Doesn't really change my point.

Reaction Score
I'm not anyone to decide, I'm stating an opinion. One you can agree or disagree with. What's the difference between a student that plays football and one who acts? I'm not sure, but I know what's the same about them - they both have a 99% chance of making a living doing something else. I personally don't think all UConn students should fork over $30M a year so a couple kids can make the NBA/NFL.

University sports should be self-sustaining. They shouldn't have to suck funds from elsewhere. You do remember how long this board made fun of Rutgers for doing what we are now reduced to doing, right? If college sports are truly "big business" like you say, being profitable or at least coming close to breaking even shouldn't be an issue, now should it?

If our country didn't have a cumulative $1.4 trillion in student debt (1/10 that of outstanding mortgage debt last I checked), I wouldn't much care. Compare the per capita student debt numbers to any other advanced country, it's a joke. The reality is when students with no ability to pay in the near-term are given loans for however much the school is going to charge them, then the school has little to no incentive to cut costs. This isn't just a UConn thing, this is nationwide and it's a bad situation.
You are throwing a lot of darts....
Why should sports be self funded? Lots of kids benefit from the athletic program besides just those that go pro: sports medicine, student managers, coaches, etc. Should club sports be banned as well?
What about the marketing bump the university gets from the athletic success that translates into more applicants and better acceptance rated?
The overall cost of running the university is in the billions. Athletics are a small piece and they do generate revenue to help offset the cost. I would venture to say, dropping uconn athletics wouldn't have a positive impact on the schools overall budget, and would likely hurt the academic reputation in the long run (indirectly).

If you don't like the student fees, why attend Uconn? My guess is because you live in CT and realized that in state, uconn is a great value even with those fees? I'm guessing you had other choices..
The student debt is an issue and will eventually be addressed. The notion that some schools are charging 240k so a kid can go make 30k/yr doesn't make sense. Add to that the for profit schools whose only goal is to sell student loans, you definitely have a bubble.
We're getting to the point where a 4 year degree isn't always the best financial option. Many kids would be best served in a technical or vocational school.
I think you'll begin to see some non-competitive schools go away as they struggle to convince students to pay their tuition and provide discounts to better students.
In the end, none of this is due to college athletics. It's about universities doing big business under the umbrella of non-profit.

Reaction Score

Uhhh okay? Doesn't really change my point.

Yes it does, those student fees (about $900 per year), pay for the scholarships of those student athletes who otherwise might not have been able to attend Uconn. Or who just like sports and want to use their athletic prowess to get a free 4 year undergraduate education and take the load off of their parents who have probably already spent thousands getting their son or daughter ready for a D1 college sport.

And besides who cares or remembers your original point, the only thing they'll remember is your stupid, pompous, smarmy and racist remark about not wanting to help a kid make it to the NBA.

Reaction Score
Yes it does, those student fees (about $900 per year), pay for the scholarships of those student athletes who otherwise might not have been able to attend Uconn. Or who just like sports and want to use their athletic prowess to get a free 4 year undergraduate education and take the load off of their parents who have probably already spent thousands getting their son or daughter ready for a D1 college sport.

And besides who cares or remembers your original point, the only thing they'll remember is your stupid, pompous, smarmy and racist remark about not wanting to help a kid make it to the NBA.

Are you serious? This logic is absurd.

Reaction Score
Yes it does, those student fees (about $900 per year), pay for the scholarships of those student athletes who otherwise might not have been able to attend Uconn.

Curious - Where did you grab that student fee dollar figure from?

Reaction Score
Curious - Where did you grab that student fee dollar figure from?
Divided his figure of $30 million by the number of UCONN students which is 32,000 give or take. I think it's 22,000 undergrads and about 10,000 grads.

Reaction Score
Divided his figure of $30 million by the number of UCONN students which is 32,000 give or take. I think it's 22,000 undergrads and about 10,000 grads.

Ahhh...

I think $900 is too low. Believe University and Student Fees for Storrs are closer to $3k than $1k

Reaction Score
Ahhh...

I think $900 is too low. Believe University and Student Fees for Storrs are closer to $3k than $1k
I guess $900 is the portion that would go for the athletic Dept, and for putting Uconn athletes in the NBA or NFL, as the prior poster put it. Lol

Reaction Score

Grad students have to pay this fee too? I figured they might have been exempt since their experience at UCONN will be far different than that of an undergrad.

Reaction Score
Grad students have to pay this fee too? I figured they might have been exempt since their experience at UCONN will be far different than that of an undergrad.
What does the difference in the experience for grads or undergrads have to do with student fees? Aren't both equally important? Anyway, I would think grad student fees would be a little more. Helps pay for all that lab equipment, and microscopes costing anywhere from $20,000 to $1,200,000.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

This is the best thing about this thread. The irony is so fantastic. @huskyrob1 as an undergrad and graduate student I can assure you there is a vast difference. Like teaching undergrad classes as a TA for almost nothing. Doing research that the University owns.

Research and patents drive profits.

School is about education. Asking students to shoulder $900 a year is unconscionable especially since most finance the costs of college.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With the state in financial trouble and likely to cut back on the money they give to UCONN, does that mean the student fees will go even higher? If the school can force the students to subsidize the athletic program whether they like it or not, why not make it a $5K or $10K fee?

Reaction Score
With the state in financial trouble and likely to cut back on the money they give to UCONN, does that mean the student fees will go even higher? If the school can force the students to subsidize the athletic program whether they like it or not, why not make it a $5K or $10K fee?

That would be horrible. What I have seen is many schools taking rich kids from Asia - taking their money and just passing them through. Out of country tuition is higher than out of state.

Reaction Score
This is the best thing about this thread. The irony is so fantastic, as an undergrad and graduate student I can assure you there is a vast difference. Like teaching undergrad classes as a TA for almost nothing. Doing research that the University owns.

Research and patents drive profits.

School is about education. Asking students to shoulder $900 a year is unconscionable especially since most finance the costs of college.

If it is so unconscionable, do you have a solution? Are you a fan of UConn college sports? You sound more like a critic. The Boneyard forum is a UConn college sports fan board, so if your solution is to cut sports programs or downgrade them to D2 or club or intramural status, I don't know how popular your solution would be on this forum, or even among the students who are paying the fees that you feel so bad for. Basically the question you are raising is what's more important, keeping the fees so UConn football can continue in it's present form, or do away with student fees paying for D1 athletics which would force the school to make some hugely unpopular choices, but at least your conscience would be clear by doing away with something "unconscionable".

If you do have a solution, let's hear it.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom