Uconn spending and revenue.... | The Boneyard

Uconn spending and revenue....

Reaction Score
Sweet. UConn cleared $17k in profit, or 0.02%. That kind of big money will buy you one tile replacement in Gampel's roof.

Reaction Score
I imagine, if you adjusted for the network money, uconn would move up even higher on the list?...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Stop - they count the student's subsidy as revenue. Bragging about taxing your students more than the rest of the G5 is pretty weak.

Saying that UConn made money on athletics is so far beyond absurd the writer is either a complete idiot or a total liar.

'School Funds' of 26 million dollars in the revenue. I guess that extra click was too difficult.

This chart has them ahead of Purdue. Purdue's student and school money = 0. UConn's is 35 million.

Reaction Score
Stop - they count the student's subsidy as revenue. Bragging about taxing your students more than the rest of the G5 is pretty weak.

Saying that UConn made money on athletics is so far beyond absurd the writer is either a complete idiot or a total liar.

'School Funds' of 26 million dollars in the revenue. I guess that extra click was too difficult.

This chart has them ahead of Purdue. Purdue's student and school money = 0. UConn's is 35 million.
Uconn was mild compared to other G5 schools.
Rutgers did the same thing and they're a P5 school. They allocated $28 million from student fees. UMass allocated 80% of their revenue from student fees, while Uconn allocated 44%. With the exception of Rutgers, it's clear that if you're in a P5 conference you don't have to tax the students to fund athletics. Cincinnati and UCF had similar metrics to Uconn.

From about #53 on down the list the average percentage of revenue allocated from student fees was about 60% and as high as 90%.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn was mild compared to other G5 schools.
Rutgers did the same thing and they're a P5 school. They allocated $28 million from student fees. UMass allocated 80% of their revenue from student fees, while UConn allocated 44%. With the exception of Rutgers, it's clear that if you're in a P5 conference you don't have to tax the students to fund athletics. Cincinnati and UCF had similar metrics to UConn.

From about #53 on down the list the average percentage of revenue allocated from student fees was about 60% and as high as 90%.

Be careful...Allocated amounts/% are more than student fees. Rutgers was $11m from student fees and $17m from institutional support/school funds.

>>Total Allocated: The sum of student fees, direct and indirect institutional support and state money allocated to the athletics department, minus certain funds the department transferred back to the school. The transfer amount cannot exceed the sum of student fees and direct institutional support that the department receives from the school. (Under NCAA reporting rules, any additional money transferred to the school cannot be considered part of the department’s annual operating revenues or expenses.)

The NCAA and others consider student fees, direct and indirect institutional support and state money “allocated,” or everything not generated by the department’s athletics functions.

Percent allocated: Percent of revenues from allocated sources.

Student fees: Fees assessed to support athletics.

School funds: Includes both direct and indirect support from the university, including state funds, tuition, tuition waivers etc., as well as federal Work Study amounts for student workers employed by athletics department. It also includes the value of university-provided support such as administrative services, facilities and grounds maintenance, security, risk management, utilities, depreciation and debt service that is not charged to the athletics department. <<

Reaction Score
Be careful...Allocated amounts/% are more than student fees. Rutgers was $11m from student fees and $17m from institutional support/school funds.

>>Total Allocated: The sum of student fees, direct and indirect institutional support and state money allocated to the athletics department, minus certain funds the department transferred back to the school. The transfer amount cannot exceed the sum of student fees and direct institutional support that the department receives from the school. (Under NCAA reporting rules, any additional money transferred to the school cannot be considered part of the department’s annual operating revenues or expenses.)

The NCAA and others consider student fees, direct and indirect institutional support and state money “allocated,” or everything not generated by the department’s athletics functions.

Percent allocated: Percent of revenues from allocated sources.

Student fees: Fees assessed to support athletics.

School funds: Includes both direct and indirect support from the university, including state funds, tuition, tuition waivers etc., as well as federal Work Study amounts for student workers employed by athletics department. It also includes the value of university-provided support such as administrative services, facilities and grounds maintenance, security, risk management, utilities, depreciation and debt service that is not charged to the athletics department. <<
You're correct of course. I used "student fees" as more of a generalization. A bit of laziness on my part. Lol

Reaction Score
Rutgers did the same thing and they're a P5 school. They allocated $28 million from student fees. UMass allocated 80% of their revenue from student fees, while UConn allocated 44%. With the exception of Rutgers, it's clear that if you're in a P5 conference you don't have to tax the students to fund athletics. Cincinnati and UCF had similar metrics to UConn.

I can't believe we are comparing ourselves to Rutgers. Even as a non-P5 school, we are better than Rutgers.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

I guess for optics, i.e. lists like this that people glance at quickly and don't look into the numbers, I can see why the school counts the fees as "revenue". No need to have the national press running around with UConn loses $30M on athletic department. It's completely bogus, but by the same token we don't need any further negative news.

The crux of the issue though is how are we losing $30M a dollar and seemingly doubling down on everything. Practice facilities, coaching decisions, new ball fields, and new higher profile leagues for non revenue sports like Hockey East.

Something doesn't add up.

While I'd like to dream that there is some long term vision in place for our athletic future, the realist in me thinks that we are spending way out of control and likely causing our fall to be quicker than it should be.

Reaction Score

Can the tens of thousands students who don't care about UCONN sports request a refund of their forced taxation to support the sports teams?

Reaction Score
Can the tens of thousands students who don't care about UConn sports request a refund of their forced taxation to support the sports teams?
Ummm, can my relatives and friends get a refund for supporting clubs, staff, teachers, and/or classes not within their interests and/or disciplines? Why support band or cheer or community social events - heck they don't dance? Why? It's called the college experience, and if UConn sports offends you, or any of their clubs or career disciplines - then If I may I suggest you go somewhere else. UConn is having financial difficulty some of which is self inflicted, some of it is from the state mismanagement and some of it is the lack of support from our local communities. There is lots of blame, but who is proposing solutions and when solutions are proposed we should blast them like acne on a 14 year old. Here is a thought propose a realistic counter that funds these programs - there is a reason we're going all in, the alternative is a university that attracts no one! What you propose you can get right now - go to CCSU or a CT private institution. Stop trying to take UConn to its past. Been there done that Let's move forward- either get on the UConn bus or get run over. :p

Reaction Score

Saying you lose money on athletics is just as absurd.
That's like saying the Engr Dept lost money. Those are costs of being a University.
Treating sports like some kind of profit center is stupid. Then assigning the whole cost to revenue producing ones makes everyone even crazier. Especially when scholships are counted as an expenditure.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Saying you lose money on athletics is just as absurd.
That's like saying the Engr Dept lost money. Those are costs of being a University.
Treating sports like some kind of profit center is stupid. Then assigning the whole cost to revenue producing ones makes everyone even crazier. Especially when scholships are counted as an expenditure.

1. FBS football has nothing to do with 'being a university'. It's pretty much the opposite.

2. How in the world aren't scholarships an expenditure?

Running a 30-35 million dollar deficit for sports makes no little to no sense when one is looking at University and what it's supposed to do.

That you like following the sports teams doesn't change the math.

Reaction Score

It's borderline criminal that we & all these other schools are funding athletics with student fees.

But hey, the kids are guaranteed to be able to take out a small mortgage to pay for their crap bachelor's degree!

I've never felt more jaded or disappointed with UConn and college sports, OR UNIVERSITIES AT ALL.

Reaction Score
It's borderline criminal that we & all these other schools are funding athletics with student fees.

But hey, the kids are guaranteed to be able to take out a small mortgage to pay for their crap bachelor's degree!

I've never felt more jaded or disappointed with UConn and college sports, OR UNIVERSITIES AT ALL.
Everyone who loves UConn athletics need to donate to the athletic fund.

Reaction Score

Why borderline criminal? Students can choose to go to UConn and pay the stated tuition or choose to go somewhere else. Funding the athletic department is part of the cost of running the university and it is public information.

Reaction Score
Why borderline criminal? Students can choose to go to UConn and pay the stated tuition or choose to go somewhere else. Funding the athletic department is part of the cost of running the university and it is public information.

Obviously that statement is hyperbole. It's immoral. It's stupid. It's crazy that kids come out of college with a bachelor's degree (which, depending on the subject, could be nearly worthless) with a home mortgage worth of debt. How are people supposed to start their lives with that anchor tied around their neck?

So for these universities to be spending so much money on things that have nothing to do with preparing their students to be functional adults in the real world is galling to me, whether that's athletics, or grossly overpaid bureaucrats in the "diversity and inclusion" office.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Obviously that statement is hyperbole. It's immoral. It's stupid. It's crazy that kids come out of college with a bachelor's degree (which, depending on the subject, could be nearly worthless) with a home mortgage worth of debt. How are people supposed to start their lives with that anchor tied around their neck?

So for these universities to be spending so much money on things that have nothing to do with preparing their students to be functional adults in the real world is galling to me, whether that's athletics, or grossly overpaid bureaucrats in the "diversity and inclusion" office.

Well how would you pay $30 million in coaching salaries if they didn't.

Think about the absurdity of that number. 30 million

Reaction Score

as determined by you????

Reaction Score
Students at UConn pay half what the typical Student going to a private school pay.
Every Year applicants increase and UConn is able to be more selective .
Could there possibly be a positive correlation between the athletic budget and applicants. A graph certainly would indicate that. We all know graphs don't lie.
The truth is UConn is a bargain
Especially in the Northeast .
Parents are more concerned with the bottom line cost than some kind of allocation.
I think that trend will continue at least in the short term especially if UConn sports have success.
My oldest Grandson's both graduated from private NE schools in the last few years. The total cost was about $400,000
The older one has paid off his small loans and the younger 's is manageable. Both have excellent jobs. I contributed a small percent plus the younger one got a couple of small scholarships Neither ever received a grant.
Mostly my daughter and son in law made sacrifices. Forgive me if Im not crying for a kid that went to UConn and probably received grants.
The Student contribution controversy at UConn is a phony as it gets.
ps UConn's endowment also has increased in the last ten years.
The Reality is if UConn dropped all sports the tuition would stay the same unless applicantions fell through the floor. That's just the nature of public Institutions

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom