UConn South Carolina Some thoughts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn South Carolina Some thoughts

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Even though I predicted a double digit win, I am pretty concerned with how we often start real slow (almost timid). The TX game was like that. It felt like we did want to push the action in fear of mistakes. It took a while until we put our teeth into the game near the end of the second half. We need to get off to a quicker start so that SC and the crowd do not gain too much confidence. Be bold. :mad:

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Depends on the officials too. If they let the SC players mug us (especially Lou, as most teams are intent on doing) and then call touch fouls on us, it may be a long evening.
Dawn Staley's strategy has consistently been to take KLS away, I don't see that changing for this game!!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Games are rarely decided by the refs. But, our team always gets the majority of the bad calls.
I think after Sunday's debacle in Columbia and the aftermath, this game might be greatly influenced by the refs. IMO.

Reaction Score
They're lazy when the other team is making all the hustle plays and you're constantly getting beat to rebounds and loose balls. When you come out of the locker room to start the game looking like you'd rather be anywhere else other than playing in a basketball game, that's lazy. When you come out with less than 100% effort, yup, you guessed it - lazy.
So I get your point, but you are still assuming the results are from laziness when it could be from nerves, jitters, final 4 inexperience (in leadership role,) etc... I don't think any team goes into the final four and is like "I really don't feel like playing hard today."

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
I know that SC has a no social media policy for their kids during the season, and that is important right now. There is a whole lot of media distraction going on for SC.
The Te’a news and now this unfortunate situation between them and Mizzou. That is a whole lot of distraction.
I’m curious how Staley will handle this game with all mud-slinging and distraction she is in the middle of right now.

Reaction Score
UConn will win this game by double digits barring any crazy foul trouble or injuries which I dont anticipate. Crystal will have a great game. She will be the straw that stirs the drink. Gabby and Phessa will take turns defending Wilson with Z coming over with help defense. Kia will defend Harris. Making life tuff for Harris is the key to the game. She is a very good guard who can pile up the assists as well as score.

Some one other then Wilson will have to step up and score consistently. UConn is too fine tuned, and to quick for SC to defend them one on one. The fine tuning will show up when UConn gets going. This game could get out of hand early if UConn comes out hot. I dont expect SC to come out hot. I expect SC to try to slow the game down. UConn is a much better and more experienced team then last season and they have Z and Walker this year.

Over the past few games since Geno blew up at the non starters we've seen UConn at a higher level. We've seen UConn especially the non starters playing with more confidence and at a quicker pace. I dont expect Geno to go more then 7 deep in this game unless late in the 4th qtr the game is put away.

Im looking for a score around 78 - 61 UConn wins. However it may not be that close throughout the game.
I like. Give ya’ a double like if you double the point differential.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I know that SC has a no social media policy for their kids during the season, and that is important right now. There is a whole lot of media distraction going on for SC.
The Te’a news and now this unfortunate situation between them and Mizzou. That is a whole lot of distraction.
I’m curious how Staley will handle this game with all mud-slinging and distraction she is in the middle of right now.

I’ve never been more grateful for the social media ban than I am now.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Dawn Staley's strategy has consistently been to take KLS away, I don't see that changing for this game!!

I don't know about "consistently" when it really was only one time -- last year's game. Maybe consistently within last year's game. Dawn had bigger problems to deal with when Lou was a freshman. But to your point, every opposing coach's approach has to be to take Lou out of the game. SC did a good job with that last year though some of Lou's struggles were her own. I suppose Cliney will guard Lou.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UCONN has more than enough weapons inside to balance out A'ja Wilson! And SoCar doesn't have enough star power bigs to effect UCONN on the inside offensively or defensively!
If they stick to their track records UCONN can score in the 80's and SoCar will be in the 60's or 70's! SoCar doesn't play shut-down defense to hold UCONN in the 60's or 70's to win so the chances of SoCar squeezing out something like a 64-60 victory is slim and none!
UCONN has the potential to have Nurse, Williams, Stevens, Katie Lou, Crystal Dangerfield, & Collier, all score in double figures while SoCar only has A'ja maybe to score double figures as Nurse will nullify Harris!
Playing in SoCar with a large home crowd will do nothing to slow down the Huskies! They'll rise to the occasion as they did in SoCar a couple years ago, winning by 20+!
UCONN wins 78 / SoCar 58!

I sure hope your prognosticating juices are working flawlessly today. I would love for your take to be 100% correct. A win tonight without anyone else getting injured, or the prevailing injuries made worse, would be the best scenario we could hope for. This game will reveal the current state of the team, good or bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
I don't know about "consistently" when it really was only one time -- last year's game. Maybe consistently within last year's game. Dawn had bigger problems to deal with when Lou was a freshman. But to your point, every opposing coach's approach has to be to take Lou out of the game. SC did a good job with that last year though some of Lou's struggles were her own. I suppose Cliney will guard Lou.
Cliney is a bully and she will try to be physical with KLS , a lot will depend on how the game is officiated.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Will anybody be in Columbia for the game?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Due to the state of the overall heath of the team right now, I find it difficult to predict anything other than a modest victory for UConn. We don't know how healthy and ready to play the injured starters will be, nor do we know how long they will be able to play at their normal level. Will Lou's ankles hold up? Will Dangerfield be able to play 33-40 minutes if needed? Will Gabby's hip hold up? Will she be able to tolerate any pain that may arise? How many minutes can she and the other injured starters be able to give Geno? These are things we don't know. It could be a close game. It could be a blow out. We'll have to wait and see.
just a reminder that during last year's game, Kia missed much of the game with the stress injury to her foot and Lou hadn't practiced much the week before as she was sick. UConn found a way.

As for this year, when it comes to injuries, I'd much rather be UConn than SC who's lost a starting guard for the year. Their transfer from PSU is out tonight and Wilson, Harrigan & Cliney are all nursing their own injuries.

Reaction Score
I have 2 concerns about tonight's game with South Carolina.

1) will the refs allow Wilson to foul without calling them and call ticky tack she fouls on UCONN when she touches the ball. Just a trend I've been noticing with Wilson.
2) Rebounding. Texas stayed in the game because of out rebounding us (and a few lucky 3s...JMO). SC has some bigs who are athletic and can rebound.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It would be good for WCBB to have a good game, especially with the way it is being promoted by ESPN, but I am note sure that a good game is what we will see.

Carnac

Reaction Score
UConn will win this game by double digits barring any crazy foul trouble or injuries which I dont anticipate. Crystal will have a great game. She will be the straw that stirs the drink. Gabby and Phessa will take turns defending Wilson with Z coming over with help defense. Kia will defend Harris. Making life tuff for Harris is the key to the game. She is a very good guard who can pile up the assists as well as score.

Some one other then Wilson will have to step up and score consistently. UConn is too fine tuned, and to quick for SC to defend them one on one. The fine tuning will show up when UConn gets going. This game could get out of hand early if UConn comes out hot. I dont expect SC to come out hot. I expect SC to try to slow the game down. UConn is a much better and more experienced team then last season and they have Z and Walker this year.

Over the past few games since Geno blew up at the non starters we've seen UConn at a higher level. We've seen UConn especially the non starters playing with more confidence and at a quicker pace. I dont expect Geno to go more then 7 deep in this game unless late in the 4th qtr the game is put away.

Im looking for a score around 78 - 61 UConn wins. However it may not be that close throughout the game.

My first comment of the day. I wanted to give you your "props" for calling this game. You said"UConn will win this game by double digits barring any crazy foul trouble or injuries which I dont anticipate." That is exactly what happened. Congratulations.

How do you see the Louisville game shaking out?

Carnac

Reaction Score
If UConn comes out high energy then they win easily. If they come out lazy like against Texas, ND, and Miss St last year, they will be very fortunate to leave CoLA with a win.

Congrats, you called it!

Carnac

Reaction Score
UCONN has more than enough weapons inside to balance out A'ja Wilson! And SoCar doesn't have enough star power bigs to effect UCONN on the inside offensively or defensively!
If they stick to their track records UCONN can score in the 80's and SoCar will be in the 60's or 70's! SoCar doesn't play shut-down defense to hold UCONN in the 60's or 70's to win so the chances of SoCar squeezing out something like a 64-60 victory is slim and none!
UCONN has the potential to have Nurse, Williams, Stevens, Katie Lou, Crystal Dangerfield, & Collier, all score in double figures while SoCar only has A'ja maybe to score double figures as Nurse will nullify Harris!
Playing in SoCar with a large home crowd will do nothing to slow down the Huskies! They'll rise to the occasion as they did in SoCar a couple years ago, winning by 20+!
UCONN wins 78 / SoCar 58!

Congrats. You called it. You almost had the exact score also (83-58).

Reaction Score
My first comment of the day. I wanted to give you your "props" for calling this game. You said"UConn will win this game by double digits barring any crazy foul trouble or injuries which I dont anticipate." That is exactly what happened. Congratulations.

How do you see the Louisville game shaking out?
As a fair weather objective L’ville fan I am HIGHLY confident it will be UConn by 18 or more. I picked the SC game as UConn 15+ so I undervalued UConn in that one.
Asia and Myisha won’t get good looks. Wonder what Massey will have it at.
As full disclosure I will add I am an impressive 0-3 picking Cards games this year.
Picked them to lose at Ohio St
Picked them to lose at home to ND
Picked them to WIN at home Fl State

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
As a fair weather objective L’ville fan I am HIGHLY confident it will be UConn by 18 or more. I picked the SC game as UConn 15+ so I undervalued UConn in that one.
Asia and Myisha won’t get good looks. Wonder what Massey will have it at.
As full disclosure I will add I am an impressive 0-3 picking Cards games this year.
Picked them to lose at Ohio St
Picked them to lose at home to ND
Picked them to WIN at home Fl State

Here's change to tip the scale a bit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member