UConn-South Carolina is sold out | The Boneyard

UConn-South Carolina is sold out

Reaction Score
How many SC injured players will sit out the game for SC?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Can 16,000 fans be the 6th man for the Huskies?

That's a lot of folks. Maybe the largest crowd UConn will play in front of this year. Don't wonder why this game was scheduled for the LARGER XL Center.......remember, if it makes $$$$, it makes sense. ;) Say or think what you will, we all know THIS is the BIGGEST game of the year for both teams. A sell out crowd on national TV. You do the math. 60 second TV commercials on FOX during this two hours time slot sell for BIG bucks. THAT'S the end game for FOX. This is a win-win for the XL Center and for Fox.

Reaction Score
How many SC injured players will sit out the game for SC?
None looked injured last night. I think they all played all though probably not on Sunday. Does that help?:)

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
That's a lot of folks. Maybe the largest crowd UConn will play in front of this year. Don't wonder why this game was scheduled for the LARGER XL Center.......remember, if it makes $$$$, it makes sense. ;) Say or think what you will, we all know THIS is the BIGGEST game of the year for both teams. A sell out crowd on national TV. You do the math. 60 second TV commercials on FOX during this two hours time slot sell for BIG bucks. THAT'S the end game for FOX. This is a win-win for the XL Center and for Fox.
Until they make it to the Sweet Sixteen and beyond where seating capacity is higher.

Sweet Sixteen & Elite Eight
Greenville - Bon Secours Wellness Arena - 19,000
Seattle - Climate Pledge Arena - 18,300

Final Four
Dallas - American Airlines Center - 19,300

Reaction Score
Until they make it to the Sweet Sixteen and beyond where seating capacity is higher.

Final Four
Have to wonder how good will that draw...there are some teams that travel well (UConn, SC) but many others don't...

Carnac

Reaction Score

Final Four
Serge, you think UConn can sellout that 19,000 seat arena? I know UConn travels well, but not THAT well. There would have to be a lot of local fan interest to pull that off. I think it also depends on how well their opponents travel.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Serge, you think UConn can sellout that 19,000 seat arena? I know UConn travels well, but not THAT well. There would have to be a lot of local fan interest to pull that off. I think it also depends on how well their opponents travel.
I don't, but it is 4 teams that should have some fan base, plus others that just want to watch Women's basketball. While the America Airlines Center which is 19,300 will be a sell out.

Reaction Score
I don't, but it is 4 teams that should have some fan base, plus others that just want to watch Women's basketball. While the America Airlines Center which is 19,300 will be a sell out.

A UConn/SCar Elite 8 game in Greenville would sell out.
A SCar Elite 8 game in Greenville against NOTUCONN would draw well, but not sellout.
A UConn Elite 8 game in Greenville against NOTSCAR would draw less well but very solid but not sellout.

I don't want then to play each other in Greenville, but would love to watch both win elite 8 games there

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Final Four

Those numbers for Greenville are a bit off. I'm betting the number of seats available will be around 14,500-15,000 tops. The attendance for the 2022 men's second round games were 14,316.

Reaction Score
Seattle would need to have Oregon in the Region with UCONN to even come close to a sellout. UCONN will draw more than their share of locals but only other local teams can draw what would be needed to fill it up.

Reaction Score
Those numbers for Greenville are a bit off. I'm betting the number of seats available will be around 14,500-15,000 tops. The attendance for the 2022 men's second round games were 14,316.
Yeah, 15,000 is about capacity seating for basketball. I think the 19,000 is for concert seating

Reaction Score
None looked injured last night. I think they all played all though probably not on Sunday. Does that help?:)
Must be nice. And, yet, the refs will give them additional help.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Doesn't UConn have to play at the XL Center, plus less take on refreshments.
Less of a home court advantage there also.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Doesn't UConn have to play at the XL Center, plus less take on refreshments.
Less of a home court advantage there also.
Yes, that is my understanding. They are contractually obligated to play X number of games there every year. I'm not familiar with the numbers contained therein, i.e., who gets what percentage of the gate, concessions and parking, etc.... Someone more familiar with the contractual agreement between the university and the XL Center will have to break the numbers down for you. I'm sure UConn gets a percentage of the proceeds, otherwise why do they play there? That would be a very "one-sided" partnership.

When I said it's a win-win, I meant a win for the XL Center.....a sellout means they collect revenue for every seat in the arena. Empty seats don't put money in the coffers. They also make more money on concessions and parking.

It's a win for FOX Sports. This will be one of the most watched WCBB games of the year. The more viewers from coast to coast means FOX Sports can charge more $$$ to "would-be" advertisers for a 60 second commercial spot. That's the business side of this game which fans seldom if ever look at. When advertisers buy a time slot, they want as many eyeballs watching their commercial as possible. As I'm sure you know, that's why SuperBowl commercials cost so much.

How Much Super Bowl Commercials Cost in 2023, and Through the Years [Link]

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom