UConn-South Carolina game | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn-South Carolina game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I looked at the box score from last year and what is really strange to me is the fact that only three players who played meaningful minutes last year are playing this year.

Edwards, Muhl, and Raven Johnson.

Hall played four minutes last year.

South Carolina`s entire starting lineup is gone although Johnson played 36 minutes, Fletcher was ineffective and only played four minutes.

Watkins, Feagin and Kitts did not play.

It is a shame that Aubrey is out. She was amazing against them last year. Everyone talks about South Carolina as being so athletic, but nobody held a candle to her that afternoon.

If we can stay out of foul trouble we will make it a game.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I looked at the box score from last year and what is really strange to me is the fact that only three players who played meaningful minutes last year are playing this year.

Edwards, Muhl, and Raven Johnson.

Hall played four minutes last year.

South Carolina`s entire starting lineup is gone although Johnson played 36 minutes, Fletcher was ineffective and only played four minutes.

Watkins, Feagin and Kitts did not play.

It is a shame that Aubrey is out. She was amazing against them last year. Everyone talks about South Carolina as being so athletic, but nobody held a candle to her that afternoon.

If we can stay out of foul trouble we will make it a game.
Yep. It was a 4 point win with Boston, Cardoso, Saxton, and Johnson. A bad call occurred at the end of the game or the Huskies might have pulled it out. That’s playing only 6 players and Lou was basically playing on one leg by then

Reaction Score
There are two story lines for this game, first is how will SC play without their leading scorer, rebounder and rim protector? Nobody knows yet. Second, how will the two true freshman starters for UConn play in that environment and guarding Raven, Pao Pao and Fulwiley in a sold out arena? Because there does not seem to be many good options right now behind them at those positions.

It will be must watch TV for sure, I expect Edwards and Paige to come up big, but others will need to step up big also for the Huskies to stay in this game late unless SC cannot adapt without their starting center. Just my opinion, but Shade and Arnold need to not play like freshman in this one for it to be a good game. I could see Paige going off for an epic game on the big stage once again.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yep. It was a 4 point win with Boston, Cardoso, Saxton, and Johnson. A bad call occurred at the end of the game or the Huskies might have pulled it out. That’s playing only 6 players and Lou was basically playing on one leg by then
I think the SC bench outscored UCONN 37-0 in that game Nan, and tbh the Huskies need some bench help this year if they can get it out of their players imo. Should be an epic matchup as always. Edwards could go off again, especially in the absence of Cardoso, but it seems like the kind of game that Paige will lead in. Huskies need Arnold and Shade to play well though. Somebody has to guard Fulwiley when she comes in…,,,

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think the SC bench outscored UCONN 37-0 in that game Nan, and tbh the Huskies need some bench help this year if they can get it out of their players imo. Should be an epic matchup as always. Edwards could go off again, especially in the absence of Cardoso, but it seems like the kind of game that Paige will lead in. Huskies need Arnold and Shade to play well though. Somebody has to guard Fulwiley when she comes in…,,,
Cardoso, Amihere, and Johnson came off the bench and two starters played only 14 total minutes. Aliyah Boston was the only starter in double figures

FC20613A-86D2-4E50-85B0-D26F349B3952.jpeg

Reaction Score
Maybe Geno should start Q and Ice and bring Paige and Aaliyah off the bench :p
How would that work out for Uconn or any other team for that matter if they went to that strategy? The point which is lost here is obvious, but as I said above, I expect an epic game as always. I think you did a fine job making your point except it does not add any production it just shifts it. The value of a productive bench is if a starter is not cutting it, you have someone ready to step in. It doesn’t add any value to sit starters in place of less productive players unless your goal is to show bench points, but you knew that already.

Looking forward to a great game, I fully expect it to be tight. Paige wouldn’t have it any other way, she is that type of player. Peace.

Reaction Score
How would that work out for Uconn or any other team for that matter if they went to that strategy? The point which is lost here is obvious, but as I said above, I expect an epic game as always. I think you did a fine job making your point except it does not add any production it just shifts it. The value of a productive bench is if a starter is not cutting it, you have someone ready to step in. It doesn’t add any value to sit starters in place of less productive players unless your goal is to show bench points, but you knew that already.

Looking forward to a great game, I fully expect it to be tight. Paige wouldn’t have it any other way, she is that type of player. Peace.
Pretty sure that was tong in cheek ;)

Reaction Score
fomalhaut has it right. There aren’t many scenarios that end with a victory for the good guys, but one of them is if we shoot the lights out! Even then, we have to play exceptional defense, avoid foul trouble and keep the rebound margin from becoming ridiculous! Hope springs eternal though and I’m sure our girls will give it their all. Most of all, win or lose, I just pray we come out of the game healthy! Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
IDK the keys to the game for UConn, but the keys to the game for SC are going to be 1) staying out of foul trouble for the big girls and 2) hitting some 3s to open up the lane for our speedy guards. Fulwiley will be a mismatch and is playing really well On both ends of the court. I think Dawn will do like she always does and pick her poison. Either try to clamp down on Edwards or Paige. I expect it to be a great game - there will be 18,000+ there so the crowd will be crazy. Hope we all get out of there healthy.

Reaction Score
Have any of our opponents cried over the fact that UConn was not at full strength? I think not. Therefore, why should we bemoan the fact that Cardosa won't be available. None of the teams that beat UConn consider the win somehow tainted because of our injured players. Is SCar sad about our roster? If they win will they consider the win tainted? I think we need to get over Cardosa.

Reaction Score
This is not a good match up for us (or anyone really, but specifically for us). Our inability to stop quick guards, lack of rebounding and lack of depth, all play directly into SC's strengths.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not sure what the final score will be but I am positive that both Geno and his players would rather schedule games like this instead of Podunk U. These games are what keep our program in the national rankings. They are great for the younger players and are the types of games that potential recruits look forward to.
If the team's primary goal is to win a national championship, sooner or later they have to play top competition. This weekend we will learn where we stand versus the current top team in college basketball and what we need to work on as a team.

Reaction Score
If UConn plays their game and doesn't get sped up and avoids panic, (players and coaches) they can be competitive. Hard to offset the height advantage though.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
the game could be interesting. BUT if fouls become a factor, it will ruin the game and the many opinions offered in this thread are pointless. INDEED, all fans of WCBB will feel cheated.

i fear that will be the case and y'all can turn to the super bowl to forget.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I keep seeing references to how big South Carolina is so I thought I’d take a look at their roster and a few box scores to see how many of those players saw the court against ranked teams. Below shows the players grouped into Probable to Play Against the Huskies and Unlikely/If They Play The Huskies Were Blown Out. They don’t seem to be a team of terrifying giantesses.

Folks should go back and watch the last few losses to So Carolina. It wasn’t the big girls that beat UConn, it was the guards. Fulwiley is scarier than Feagin, IMO, not that they aren’t both terrific players. A UConn loss may very well happen, although a win is possible if the stars align, but it will most likely be decided by the guards rather than the big girls. I think the Huskies have pretty good guards :)

A7B3BE4A-D9F9-4086-B1D3-75D9D2894CBD.jpeg

Reaction Score
Game of Thrones Reference:
UConn is still House Lannister and South Carolina is still House Reyne ambitious and all. We have to be careful.

Reaction Score
If the pace isn't slow, this will get ugly quick. Can't go all out physically and emotionally in the first half. SC has played some close first halves and then they separate in the second. Benefits of a lot of bodies. Play more zone and make them make shots.

Reaction Score
I have an idea already, and I don’t want the younger guys spirits to be crushed. The starters were gassed today. They just aren’t getting much help from the bench.

No wonder why. The bench is wearing sweats and knee braces.

Reaction Score
I will be there with my South Carolina grad wife and her parents. I'll be in full UCONN gear and expect to hear a lot from the SC fans when I'm at the game. Maybe I'll bring a little mojo for the women? I certainly hope so.

Reaction Score
Nika has to behave herself. No foul trouble in the first half. Need a really good game from Ash and KK. Just Aaliyiah is not enough against their three bigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom