UConn-SMU | The Boneyard

UConn-SMU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Permit me to append a few comments about things to look for tomorrow vs. SMU and possibly in the last remaining games. For now I will focus on defense.

The reason I bring this up is that Geno coaches for March, so the next few games are largely opportunities to prime the team for the Big Dance. Plus a little experimentation.

At least at the outset of the game(s), UConn will go with a full court zone press, something like a 2-2-1, stretched out. Two aims: (1) get the ball, by means of a steal, an interception, a turnover, or a shot clock violation (2) force the opponent to use valuable shot-clock time.

Once SMU (or other opponent) gets across the midcourt line, Geno will make it difficult to "set" their half-court offense. A long-time strategem has been to vary the "D," sometimes zone, sometimes man-to-man. Traditionally zone after a score, mtm after a miss or TO. This forces a team to use valuable shot-clock time while figuring out how to attack. Geno has introduced a new wrinkle, sometimes employing a 1-2-2 zone as well as the traditional 2-3.

UConn will trap at every opportunity. Woe to the player who picks up her dribble in any corner (halfcourt or baseline) for she will instantaneously have two wild defenders to deal with. Same goes for sideline dribblers.

Then, finally, there are those shotblockers, either discouraging shooters, altering their shot or contesting it with a very long arm.

Two strong principles of Geno's defensive philosophy: (1) Pressure the ball; and (2) shut down their biggest threat. Watch and see.

Reaction Score
Two strong principles of Geno's defensive philosophy: (1) Pressure the ball; and (2) shut down their biggest threat. Watch and see.
It always intrigues me during a game to spot the other team's best shooter and watch how UConn defends her. I think you're right, Kib, that it's one of their strong suits on defense.

Reaction Score
I was informed by my latest ex-wife (a Houston Cougars alum) that S.M.U. (Ess...Emm...Yew) is pronounced "schmoo" ala the Li'l Abner comic strip character. She should know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom