UConn Signee/Verbal Recruit Thread (KLS, Collier, Boykin, Crystal-D, Irwin, AEH, Bent) | Page 28 | The Boneyard

UConn Signee/Verbal Recruit Thread (KLS, Collier, Boykin, Crystal-D, Irwin, AEH, Bent)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Does the following have any merit? I tend to view her skill set as quite similar to KML....though with a vastly different body type.
I figure she will help UConn immediately as a frosh in much the same way as did Kaleena. Deadly face-up shooting from mid-range to beyond
the trey line....some post-ups depending on the match-ups....some rebounding....some ball-handling....work hard on defense with some trouble against very quick twos and threes...
deadly free throw shooting.
Say #2...Mater Dei is a 'program'....is there anyone in the pipeline that might pique Geno's curiosity?

I have seen MLS play quite a few times over the last couple of years. You probably are assuming that just because they are both good 3 pts shooters that they have a similar skill set. Well that is not really true. MLS can do a lot of things that KML couldn't. She is a much better all around player. First every player will not always show your their best or worst game. You really need to watch a player more than a few times to get a perspective of where on their sliding scale between the best and worst any particular game you are watching is a reflection of.

To begin with she appears taller than her listed 6'3"- how much? That fact alone gives her a distinct advantage over KML. I saw her in last seasons West Coast Jamboree where she broke the full court zone trap press of St Marys- the same team they lost too in the finals this season. St Mary's Stockton is considered to have the best full court press in high school basketball. They had to have MLS do it because Valasco ( a pretty darn good point) was turning the ball over against that press. MLS is a really good ball handler for her position. She isn't the player of the year for nothing. She also plays good defense and rebounds well. Her game against St Mary's in the final was average for her. The previous game in the Southern Cal finals was very sub par ( possibly limited by injury) but she elevated her game in the final minutes to pull out the win. This was not possible in the next game because St Marys game and athletic roster make it possible to shut down any single player. They shut down Sabrina Ionesco the week before.

As to anyone being in the MD pipeline- Unless there are new freshman or transfers coming in next season, form what I have seen of their present roster the answer would be No! But then the program seems to attract new players and transfers every year.

Reaction Score
OC: we have read of the busy basketball schedule LouConn may have ahead of her with the high school all-star games
and the USAbasketball trials coming up. If it is appropriate to pass on any insights you have about whether she will
be [or not] participating in all these events, you know we would love to hear them....IF appropriate.
Being totally selfish here I am hoping she gets plenty of R and R to heal any ailments she has and hit the ground
in Storrs at 100%. Has it gone public as to whether she will be at one of the summer sessions at UConn?

Does the following have any merit? I tend to view her skill set as quite similar to KML....though with a vastly different body type.
I figure she will help UConn immediately as a frosh in much the same way as did Kaleena. Deadly face-up shooting from mid-range to beyond
the trey line....some post-ups depending on the match-ups....some rebounding....some ball-handling....work hard on defense with some trouble against very quick twos and threes...
deadly free throw shooting.

Say...how about a bold prediction from our Left Coast Guru: assuming good health all-round....does she start in Jump Ball #1?

Say #2...Mater Dei is a 'program'....is there anyone in the pipeline that might pique Geno's curiosity?
Like you, I expect KLS to have a great career at UConn and replace some of the 3pt shooting UConn will lose when KML leaves. But I hope we don't put too much pressure on her to replace KML right away. KML is a truly exceptional shooter, a great shooter. She won't be easily replaced.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Like you, I expect KLS to have a great career at UConn and replace some of the 3pt shooting UConn will lose when KML leaves. But I hope we don't put too much pressure on her to replace KML right away. KML is a truly exceptional shooter, a great shooter. She won't be easily replaced.
Agreed, but Kaleena had the task of filling part of the void left by the great Maya Moore. Some of it goes with the territory.

Lou will have help. I expect that Napheesa will be a big contributor next year. De'Janae may be as well. And Natalie will have a full year of UConn observation and practice under her belt.

In terms of outside shooting, Kia has shown that she can shoot. Moriah has been a great shooter this season. I look for Stewie to be much closer to 40% next year. And Saniya is quite capable as well. Of course, Kaleena is officially the best ever, so she IS hard to replace.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Another all-star game of sorts for UConn's signees to participate in. The Jordan Brand Classic takes place in New York on April 17th at 3:30 Eastern. Doesn't appear to be TV coverage of the girls game though.

Wanted to update this post to mention that the girls game will be shown online at ESPN3.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score

For those who watch the video, that is at the bottom of the article, it is from Lou's sophomore and junior year at Mater Dei, not this current season that just ended. I can tell by the players she is on the court with, including her sister Karlie. So those inspecting the knee pads, braces, tape, etc., will notice she has had something on for most of her career.

From the article, her mom Karen(or mum, as she is British) said "She prefers Lou to Katie Lou," Karen said. "Especially to those she's closest to. We all call her Lou."

So please call her Lou. When she comes to UConn and you shout to her from the stands do not say just Katie.

Finally, I can confirm, KLS is taller than Bria Hartley.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
They are on ESPNU at 6:30 EDT tonight.

The McDonalds game is tonight, yes, but I was updating the Jordan Brand Classic which takes place in a couple weeks. Only the boys game is on TV, but the girls will be streamed.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The McDonalds game is tonight, yes, but I was updating the Jordan Brand Classic which takes place in a couple weeks. Only the boys game is on TV, but the girls will be streamed.
Oops, guess I should have read back further.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
While Collier heads into an undoubted shark tank of talent in Storrs, Conn., a question arises — is UConn getting the best girls basketball player to ever come out of St. Louis?

Local basketball historian and St. Louis American sports editor Earl Austin Jr. said Collier's credentials definitely put her among the best girls player to come from St. Louis.

“By sheer accomplishments, you have to put her at the top of the list in terms of winning state championships and what she's done at the national and international level,” Austin said. “She's a McDonald's All-American and she's just an amazing player, not only as an individual player, but everything she does on the court impacts the bottom line — winning. Her 2,000 points and 2,000 rebounds are amazing, but she takes care of the bottom line.”

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/high...cle_031b583e-d184-11e4-8942-2f426345960f.html

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
espnw_u_recruits_jv_443x450.jpg

HGN

Reaction Score
De'janae I guess is stronger than her wiry body would indicate............It's great to see the girls get along so well.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Crystal idolizes Moriah. I wonder that she was thinking at about 10:30 PM on Tuesday. :)

Reaction Score
Hey Lauren Cox, listen up: "... he's (coach Auriemma) also known for cultivating his players' teamwork skills and stretching them to achieve their best. His players applaud him for how well he prepares them for the game. They praise how well he's able to motivate and challenge them. And his demands for greatness, some of them have said, helped them reach goals they didn't know they were capable of meeting."

How great do you want to be, Lauren? How many National Championships do you want to win? Geno is THE ONLY ONE who can make those dreams come true. Join us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom